cheapest best headphone for mixing?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

calm down Karen :roll:

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Passing Bye wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:54 am
cthonophonic wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:47 am I found that the Superlux HD-668 had a very good sound for the price, but the cable attachment broke after about a year. The rubber cable housing cracked right where it entered the cans, and then it was only a matter of time until the wire got strained and the connection went out. Looking through some reviews, it sounds like this is the most common failure mode for Superlux headphones.

Anyway, now that I've got $100 to spend, I'm replacing them - either with the Sony MDR-7506 or the Audio Technica M40x. Leaning toward the Sony, as they seem to have a flatter response, but my old Audio Technicas (that the Superlux replaced) lasted a good 10 years, and I'm sure I'll be fine with a slight bass bump if they're as durable as the old ones.
Again, this is thread about cheapest cans, so open new thread about your issue, don’t hijack this one!
Oh, pardon me, is it your thread? I posted this in part to point out that getting the cans with the lowest sticker price may not actually be the cheapest option in the long run. Given the choice between buying a $100 pair of headphones every 10 years vs buying a $40 pair every year, I know what I'm choosing. Granted, there's no guarantee that the cheaper headphones will always crap out or that the more expensive ones will always last a decade+, but if one doesn't take build quality into account when buying, there's a real possibility that the cheapest option will end up being more expensive than it appears.

I am finding people's opinions here helpful (just as I hope the OP is), but there is going to be some range of opinion about what counts as "cheap" as well as about what the minimum acceptable qualities would be for a pair of mixing headphones. Indeed, it seems like the whole point of this thread is negotiating that trade-off between price and quality, and I'm not sure that it's helpful for you to enforce an arbitrary price threshold when the OP hasn't given us a number.

Nmvnd
Last edited by Passing Bye on Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nvmnd
Last edited by Passing Bye on Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

TrojakEW wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:35 am I have many heaphones and I also tested some more that I do not have. For best cheap cans there that can beat even higher priced cans are Superlux HD 682 Evo got them for 29 eur (ussual price is about 30 eur). They are far better then 681 and I even prefer them more then bayer 880 pro and also sen HD 600. They are cheap looking but very durable with great sound that can be even improved more with very very simple modding that is also very easy to reverse back. Also they comes with additional velour pads. Really they are great for this price. If I have test them before I will never buy any other headphones.
Chcek this video about durabilitty :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhihdoQtlT0
You probably mean HD 662 (you put HD 682 in bold), I barely see them anywhere in stock, thanks for the info, gonna try to get hold on them for sure, maybe there are some with different brand, Focusrite HP60 MkII looks like it?
Last edited by Passing Bye on Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Check spectrum curve of eventual new cans first,is it 'linear' enough for pro monitor.
Can't find SAMSON SR950 specs on internet now(have it somewher saved,but it's close to this:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/he ... e/hd600-2/

Passing Bye wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:17 am M50’s are overhyped tracking cans too.
+1

I have no idea why they're recommended for mixing duties so regularly. They are the KRK Rokit of the headphone world.

Anyway, best budget headphone out there is the DT990, or any of the DT range tbh.

Again: OP wants cheapests headphones! BUMP

Bump, cheapest.....best.

Perhaps some ATH-M20x - which can be had for around £40 -

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/reviews ... iew/#build

Passing Bye wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:55 am You probably mean HD 662 (you put HD 682 in bold), I barely see them anywhere in stock, thanks for the info, gonna try to get hold on them for sure, maybe there are some with different brand, Focusrite HP60 MkII looks like it?
:oops: Sorry my mistake. Yes I mean Superlux HD 662 EVO. Same as in video I posted. I can compare them direclty to AKG 240, Beyerdynamics 880 Pro, Auditechnica ath-mx50 and Magnat LZR 980 and some other more from Sony and Koss.

Out of these my order will be:
1. LZR 980
2. 662 EVO
4. ath-mx50
5. 880 Pro - why 5? bacuse I do not want to look whole time at frequency spectrum analyzer how is my lows doing. The lows are simply "missing".
6. 240

If we look at the price point and overall quality to price ratio Superlux 662 Evo wins. Not flat sound but none of cans are really flat but they works. There is nothing like that at that price point. When you also look at the video posted - drop test you can see they are sturdy and I can confirm this. I think many other manufacturers hate Superlux beacuse of their price politics. :P If someone is looking for very cheap solution and do not have money then they are best choice.

You can read user review here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/superlu ... 10.816129/

Made mystake to pay 140 euro for DT990 so to realize they are not studio monitors by any definition,then i decide to try SAMSON SR850 for monitor(by internet recommendations and superlatives),just curious what's the difference between them and SR950,order both and now SR850 keep dust somewhere,but by happy accident SR950 turns out is mix and master solution for 29 euro,that's what i call best cheap linear headphones,especially 100-5000Hz range is super linear not just on theory,but in real mixing situations you can hear details you may miss with other more expensive cans :)Only minus is uncomfortable earpad,after 2 hours listening you ears feels pressed,but for short session is ok.
Cheers :)
http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/su ... EN_1.2.pdf

excuse me please wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:54 am Again: OP wants cheapests headphones! BUMP
... and got the answer on page one and then disappeared. :shrug:

Superlux 662 Evo are totally rad. Any Superlux phones hit higher than their price. There's some info online on how to mod them for flatter, more linear sound too. Great buy for the price.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”