BR: Mu.Lab doesn't recognize Waves Waveshell 9.2

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unfortunately I cannot work on my Mac with the Waveshell 9.2. from Waves. Simply not recognized.... :-(
Lost in Music...

Indeed shell plugins are not supported. Maybe you can workaround that by using http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip

mutools wrote:Indeed shell plugins are not supported. Maybe you can workaround that by using http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip

:-((( I am a Mac user....
Lost in Music...

Yes sorry i forgot about that aspect when posting that link.

mutools wrote:Indeed shell plugins are not supported. Maybe you can workaround that by using http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip
Hi, sorry, I'm on a PC. I tried this, although I am not sure I am using it right -- when you run it it gives you a message on a dos screen which appears to tell you to rename the little *.exe file as the name of the shell *.dll, but tucked away in a folder named after the vendor... or something like that, sorry, could you please clarify how to use it?

Sorry to bother, but I just invested in a lot of Waves plugins, and if I can't use them, it's a major disadvantage to using MuLab, which otherwise I am starting to like a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Please note that Shell2Vst is not a MuTools product, so i can't give support on it. Sorry, hope you understand. For support pls contact its developer. Or maybe other users on Kvr know how to use it?

mutools wrote:Please note that Shell2Vst is not a MuTools product, so i can't give support on it. Sorry, hope you understand. For support pls contact its developer. Or maybe other users on Kvr know how to use it?
Ok, sorry, I had assumed that since you suggested it, you knew it to be a solution. To be clear -- have you seen this work with MULab?

I'[ve emailed the dev, but as his latest post is from 2008, I'm not optimistic if I'll hear back soon. If I do I will share here what I learn.

That failing -- is there any way to use Waves Waveshell VSTs within MULab?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

lingyai wrote:
Hi, sorry, I'm on a PC. I tried this, although I am not sure I am using it right -- when you run it it gives you a message on a dos screen which appears to tell you to rename the little *.exe file as the name of the shell *.dll, but tucked away in a folder named after the vendor... or something like that, sorry, could you please clarify how to use it?

Find where the Waves installer has put your WaveShell-VST-blah.dll and copy shell2vst.exe into the same folder. Make sure you use the 64-bit shell2vst if your Waves plugins are 64-bit. (I have the WaveShell***.dll -outside- my regular host plugin path, for this, btw)

In explorer, drag the WaveShell .dll file onto Shell2VST.exe

You should then see a command-line windows open, do some stuff, and then close.
In your folder there will now be a new folder called Waves. Inside the Waves folder will be a .dll for every authorised Waves plugin you have. You can now point your host at this folder, or drag them into your regular plugin structure wherever you want.

For the record, some hosts are better than others at using these 'unshelled' plugins, but, while I dont have MuLab, Ive just tested MUX 6.whatever, and it seemed to work just fine with what I have, eg Waves Gold plus a dozen other Waves plugins.
That's with Waves 9.3.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

lingyai wrote:
mutools wrote:Please note that Shell2Vst is not a MuTools product, so i can't give support on it. Sorry, hope you understand. For support pls contact its developer. Or maybe other users on Kvr know how to use it?
Ok, sorry, I had assumed that since you suggested it, you knew it to be a solution.
Well it was suggested as a good solution by other users and so that's why i mention it in the docs as the docs are also a kind of wiki.
To be clear -- have you seen this work with MULab?
No i did not yet try it myself, to be honnest. That would take time, and i would rather invest that time in looking into direct support for vst shell. But there are so many other things to do which are requested more so that time has not been allocated (yet). Hope you see what i mean.

By the way, does anyone know whether this special VST shell still is supported by VST 3? Or is it deprecated by VST 3?
I'[ve emailed the dev, but as his latest post is from 2008, I'm not optimistic if I'll hear back soon. If I do I will share here what I learn.
Thanks!
Not that i know of. If other users know good alternatives, i'm interested to hear and will add them to the docs.

I guess you didnt see Whyterabbyts post in time Jo :)
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

mutools wrote:
Not that i know of. If other users know good alternatives, i'm interested to hear and will add them to the docs.
It's a bit funny when a daw vendor talk about Waves - being the biggest plugin vendor - like they are some odd fellows out there they never heard of?

Both Bluecat Audio Patchwork and DDMF Metaplugin - support the shell though - being able to load other plugins and offer routings not in every daw. So they would work in MuLab too hosting Waves - that's my tip.

All major daws do support Waves shell - ProTools, Cubase, Sonar, Samplitude, Mixcraft, Bitwig(as I remember trialing it), Reaper, Studio One, Digital Performer, FL Studio(as I remember trialing it) etc.

How many plugin standards are there?
How many plugin authors use VST? How many use Waves?
Which is it more likely that a Host vendor is going to support? I mean, how many of the Waves plugins have no viable alternative?
And then you have to think for MuTools whether it's more important to "keep up with" VST by concentrating to getting to VST 3.x at some point (is that more or less relevant than Waves support..?), or doing something completely different (e.g. MuX on OSX or whatever).

It's more about scanning the shell to get it in there - than it would be so different otherwise.

I would guess half a day to figure out how to scan/enumerate Waves shell.
Even the makers of Patchwork and Metaplugin thought it was important enough to spend those hours.

Our thinking differs in priority - I give my reply below.
Why get defensive about it?
pljones wrote:How many plugin standards are there?
four - DX, VST, RTAS and AAX

How many plugin authors use VST?
All of them(but Avid possibly).
How many use Waves?
Most of them. The way Waves ran their campaigns the last years, even giving away plugin or offering $50 for free purchase.

Waves used to be silly expensive, iLok-requirement and non-64-bit.
All that has changed.
Which is it more likely that a Host vendor is going to support? I mean, how many of the Waves plugins have no viable alternative?
How many are prepared to stop using the Waves they've got to run MuLab?
Is it 400 plugins to choose from , or something like that.
And then you have to think for MuTools whether it's more important to "keep up with" VST by concentrating to getting to VST 3.x at some point (is that more or less relevant than Waves support..?), or doing something completely different (e.g. MuX on OSX or whatever).
More important with Waves than VST3. Nothing much offered that is VST3-only - compared to the 400 Waves plugins.
But you could put that against any other feature as well - why do anything before xxx.

lfm wrote:Why get defensive about it?
I'm pointing out others may have differing priorities from you, is all.
lfm wrote:
pljones wrote:How many plugin authors use VST?
All of them(but Avid possibly).
How many use Waves?
Most of them.
You really think most plugin authors write for Waves? Honestly? I really am shocked. I would have said the vast, vast majority use VST only. (Followed by "and AU". Then "and also AAX" in third place.)

pljones wrote:You really think most plugin authors write for Waves? Honestly? I really am shocked. I would have said the vast, vast majority use VST only. (Followed by "and AU". Then "and also AAX" in third place.)
There seems to be some confusion here. Waves is a plugin development company. Their audio effects/synths come in several plugins formats - ie VST2, VST3, AU, RTAS, AAX. The WaveShell is a single on-disk plugin of whichever format, which, when scanned by the host, effectively 'contains' the list of effect/synth plugins the user has installed and authorised. WaveShell scanning, however, has always seemed to have a history of issues, as only Waves seem to use such a shell, and its an odd 'variant' within the plugin standards, although many hosts have support, its almost never been as immediate as regular plugin support.

Anyway, addressing what lfm posted; as I said, there's absolutely no need to use a commercial solution like Patchwork or Metaplugin with MUX on Windows/VST. The xlutop VST2Shell solution works and is free. On other host/platform combinations, some other wrapper/subhost solution might be necessary.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “MUTOOLS”