Midi-Multimode only with playing (not recording) possible?

Official support for: mutools.com
KVRer
19 posts since 13 Oct, 2004

Post Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:23 am

When trying to record a multitimbral external source in Mulab (for example channel 1-5 at the same time) it seems that it´s not possible: Because Mulab can record only 1 channel at the same time (all incoming channels are mixed to 1 channel). But when several 1- channel recordings step by step are done - same with loading a midi file - the p l a y i n g channels can be routed to several slots and channels. So if I load a General-Midi file and route it to an internal GM-PlugIn for example, all is played correctly. My question: is there a workaround regarding the multimode-r e c o r d i n g issue?
Thanks in advance!

KVRAF
10919 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:42 pm

See Project menu -> MIDI Input Channel Targets.
Using that tool you can preserve the MIDI channel.
Also see http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... -menu.html for "Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets"

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 am

Hi,
thanks for your fast reply. I tried the midi input channel targets option already but it did not work. Maybe I have not explained good enough. In my opinion Mulab cannot record a general midi stream with several midi channels at the same time (but Mulab remains a fantastic DAW :-)- The setup with this issue is: Chordpulse Midi Out (=general Midi stream) to LoopBe1 in. LoopBe1 out to Mulab in.Used Module Halion SE 3 (General Midi Setup). Playing Chordpulse live and recording all channels at the same time In Mulab did not work. Importing the same song as prerecorded Midi File (Format: separated channels) in Mulab and playing does work correctly, if the channels and instruments are routed correctly.
Best regards.

KVRAF
6778 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:23 pm

"General MIDI" refers to play back of MIDI events (i.e. the assignment of MIDI Program Change messages to patches), not the data on a MIDI cable. MIDI, itself, assigns meanings to the basic events (like what CC4 means). Mulab records MIDI events.
https://www.midi.org/specifications-old ... di-message
https://www.midi.org/specifications-old ... -sound-set

If you turn on the correct option, it records Note On events as received and will record MIDI Program Change events, too (I'm pretty sure). Perhaps you should explain in more detail the problem you perceive is happening and how you have set up Mulab.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:38 am

Hi,
thanks for your reply. Yes, Mulab can record program changes and other midi messages. I have another setup and this time it did work. I was wrong when supposing that mulab can record only 1 channel and only 1 track at the same time. The working setup is: Disabling automatic midi input focus. Set midi input channel targets to several modules or 1 modul with a general midi option.Then put Mulab´s midi channel remappers before the modules to make sure the right channel is sent to the right module.
You can test it with the trial version of Chordpulse or the free 4 Chord Songs module.
Best regards!

KVRAF
6778 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:44 am

> Disabling automatic midi input focus

Ah yes - I was wondering if that might be the issue but hadn't had time to ask.

Return to “MUTOOLS”