Disting EX - Distorted sounds or no sound at all in SD Multisample mode

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi all,

I just received my Disting EX friday. Today I tried to use it, installed the new firmware 1.7.2. but it's not usable at the moment. I have to say I just installed the module so I need to find my way through it and did NOT read the whole manual yet but this is weird right?

The sounds sound very thin and distorted. See the link below..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7jt33jykdtz1 ... 7.MOV?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7jt33jykdtz1at/IMG_1097.MOV?dl=0)

I'm struggling to hear anything wrong there. Some of the multisample sets are actually quite processed.

How does it sound on the Soft Pianos?

I think I have a similar issue. Bought the Disting EX brand new earlier today. Used the Multisample algorithm and everything worked fine.

Realised the firmware was outdated (1.5). Did the update to 1.7.2, and now I'm experiencing 2 issues:
- crackling sound when using chords.
- weird repeats and stutters even when chords are disabled.

I've tried, and experienced the same issue with the Soft Piano and Wurli folders.

The last thing I did, before it started behaving in this weird way, is to enable arpeggios. I've then turned off and on the Disting, disabled the arpeggios, and the problem doesn't go away.

There's a beta here: https://github.com/expertsleepersltd/is ... a1.hex.zip

Please give that a go.

Similar issue here. Just got my disting ex, updated firmware to 1.7.2, and while using Sd6 Triggers, using triggers from Pam, a slowly building distortion started coming in until all samples were fuzzy and then eventually cut out. After all sound stopped all controls and the display were frozen and it had to be power cycled. This happened again after reinstalling the 1.7.2 firmware.
On the third reboot, even though I changed nothing else except the samples I was using, the unit has not reproduced that fault again after another several hours of use. Do processors need to be burned in? Perhaps the system goes into a fault mode when the output is overdriven? I’ll see if I can recreate the error and then I’ll try installing beta firmware.

There's some evidence that recent firmwares (1.7 and up) are problematic for some users. Please bear with me while I try & debug this. In the meantime, try the beta or an earlier firmware if problems persist.

A good thing to try also is reformatting the SD card (having backed up the data first).

Just writing to confirm that I updated a brand new Disting EX to firmware v1.7.2 and am also experiencing this issue.

Playing multiple samples concurrently (chords) via the MIDI breakout module seems to exacerbate the issue, as though playing more samples at once is causing some sort of buffer/memory overrun. Sound does play but pulsing static/noise cuts through the sound as it decays. The noise is much less frequent, but still occasionally present, when playing a single key/sample at a time.

Could you attach a recording of that? I'm not sure that's actually the same issue that I'm aware of.

Sure, I should be able to make and post a recording within a day or so.

OK, as promised, here's a recording of the issue when using the "Labs Lo Strings Long" sample (mono WAV): https://jdd.wtf/Labs-Lo-Strings-Long.wav

The recording is not clipping, this is what the audio sounds like straight out of the Disting EX.

You're playing the samples far above their natural range, meaning the module has to stream them off the card much faster than usual, which is resulting in them breaking up like this.

Use the "Hi Strings Long" if you want to play high notes.

Thanks for answering! I thought "playing above natural range" might be one potential cause since the problem was particularly bad for "Labs Lo Strings Long", but this has happened with other sample sets as well.

If I recall correctly, my MIDI controller was using the standard/center octave when experiencing this/making the recording, which leads me to one more question to prevent future possible user error: Are the pitched factory sample sets arranged in such a way that one given/specific MIDI note may play a sample far outside natural range in one set, but within a reasonable range for a different set? Or conversely, does one specific MIDI note always correspond to the same place within a given set's range (for instance, would middle C always be within the "natural range" for any given sample set?) I assumed it worked like the latter, but perhaps it's the former?

It's the former. Samples are labelled with their actual pitch, and the actual pitch of the MIDI note is used to select the sample.

There's a setting in the SD Multisample mode to limit the amount of upward transposition allowed.

Got it, that likely explains why I was seemingly randomly running into this even though I had tried sporadically messing with the octave before posting in this thread.

Thanks again!

:tu:

Return to “Expert Sleepers”