Sylenth1 does not load and crashes Cubase 8.5 Pro [fixed]

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

-------------------------------------------------------
Edit by LennarDigital:
This problem is fixed in Sylenth1 v3.041 !

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

strange behaviour I just ran into:

When I open a completely new and empty project and add a track with Sylenth1, it takes slightly longer than I remember.
When I try to add a new track with Sylenth1 in an existing project, Cubase freezes without any message and pretends to load something. Forever. The only way I can shut down Cubase is via the task manager.
  • I did reinstall Sylenth1 and I did deactivate my antivirus software but each without luck.
  • every other VST (I own) can be used without problems
  • I'm running (well, technically not) the latest version of Sylenth1 (64 bit)
Any idea what that could be?

Hi and Sorry for Bumbing in..

But almost the same thing happends in my case even though i run Cubase 9.5 Pro. Diffrence is that i can load it in a new project and as the first VST. It loads pretty fast but if i try load it in a already started project it first starts to think before it crashes and Cubase hangs.

Its a bummer since i really loved to play around with it in the demo that worked like a charm, so i guess it has something to do with the network registration or something since that is the only thing that is diffrent now then when i ran the demo. I thought it was better to buy it straight up from the shop than from the buy or sell forum or the rent to buy option. Now i think i should have gone with the last two options since i get very unhappy when things you buy dont work after you done what you can to check if it does or not. It actually crashed the first time i tried to activate my license but second time it worked.

EDIT: I may add that i normally work offline with my computer and maybe should have asked for offline registration or something. But as it does this even when im online it makes me wonder what has gone wrong. Dont dare to try to much things to get it working either since i may loose a gregistration or something..

Edit 2: One wierd thing is that i can get it to load if i use jBridge, but doing that makes the GUI (Menu etc) respond in a very strange way.

Edit 3: My System is as follows:

Intel i7-5390K
Ram: 32GB
Graphics: GeForce GTX 980 (set to Quality) Dual Screens
Disc: Sata Samsung SSD EVO 500GB main and 1TB SSD EVO as slave

DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5.10 with a bunch of 3rd part plugins.

Trying to run Sylenth1 v3.032 64-bit.

Any help would be great..
Vaijj
Last edited by Vaijj on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vaijj wrote:Diffrence is that i can load it in a new project and as the first VST.
This is what I tried to describe. In a new project I can load Sylenth successfully. But I'm glad, I'm not the only one.

When asking for help for a specific problem on a forum - you NEED to specify your system, plugin version and DAW version at the least. Preferably as much info as you have, short of your registration information of course... For example Sylenth1 v3.032 x64 is running with no apparent problems on OSX10.9.5, Cubase 6.5.5 build 176.

Of course!
In my case it is Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) and Cubase is the latest 8.5 there is: 8.5.30, Build 192.

Updated my original post with a work around and my system config..

it hangs before or after the GUI appears?

For me yes.. starting up cubase and load a working project (tried several).. i can now load any other VST instrument i like, even the bridged version on Sylenth1. But if i try load the original Sylenth one Cubase kind stops up and thinks for about 10 seconds before you hear that hateful failure sound from windows that something has gone wrong. Cubase hangs and i have to force it to shut down from the task manager.

I get no message whats wrong or anything so im really in the dark here on what i can do..

And btw, thanks for trying to help us here sqigls and im sorry for jumping in here like this, really dont wish to hijack your tread here Vegaron, just so you know..

Vaijj

yeah me too, i hope i don't come across a narky tool, i'm just trying to help you and Lennard get to the root of the problem quicker. Good luck!!!

Vaijj wrote:i can get it to load if i use jBridge
Aren't these bridges used for 32-bit software? I'm just asking, as you didn't specify, which version of Sylenth1 you use.

And I don't think any of you is using this thread in any other way than supporting my case. :tu:

Well.. You can use jBridge to port buggy or bad 64bit to 64bit aswell. As you may know not all 64bit are programed in the new 64 that cubase wants. I have been using it on a few free 64bit that still arnt ported to the new standard.

So i tried on Sylenth1 64 bit aswell and it worked. Problem is that if i do some own presets it will not show up in the unported Sylenth1 version. So if you could try that for a workaround do so. But as stated above, menus are acting wierd and is not possible to use. So if you want to try change Skins or things like that you cant do that form the menu.

I really wish i was reading more about problems regarding Sylenth1 v3. I went with the good reputation that Sylenth has over the years but if i knew this, well dont think i would have gone this route. I only wanna make music and dont sit and try to fix stuff since i do that all day in my line of work. I really dont know what to think when a Demo works and then you buy and install a full version it dont work. I dont know what is added on the full version other than the protection scheme. I really hope that Lennar or someone else steps up and get into this and find a solution. Best would ofc be so we can run it as it suppose to or as some other solution, been trying to now since i bought it yesterday and yeah, have a hard time let it go since thats the person i am. Cant stand when things arnt working right :)

Anyhow, A happy new year to you all and hopefully you have a awesome 2018..
Vaijj

Vegaron.. Did you find any solution or workaround that fixed it for you?

Trying my best to find a solution and even got a reply from Lennard about a workaround but no luck what sp ever. Havnt heard back from Lennard though after trying his solutions. Anyway he said it was a rare thing that happends on win7 systems. So he suggested to upgrade to win10 (or8). Im will not go that route at this time but maybe you will..

Im just rather disapointed and feel like i test drove a car, decided to buy it, just to find out that once i drive my own it dont run cause i live in the wrong neighbour hood or something. I happy that Lennard replied back to me on new year (very nice) just wished that someone could come up with a solution. Or a refund.. i mean its not like ive been able to use it as should be the priority of any developer.

Anyhow, i go back and try find if i can do anything to get it running without destroying a set up that i invested both time and alot of money into, that runs like a dream but now i need to look at cause of this.

Does anyone know at what point They can do a refund?

I haven't tried anything yet. Until it stopped working I never had any problems with Sylenth1. To be fair - judging by what I have seen here - Lennard is always eager to help. As I see it, Sylenth1 will not get any new features but it will always keep up in terms of new OS, DAWs or whatsoever.

So, basically I'm just waiting until he releases a fix. I assumed, Lennard would read this as always. Not to soon, but eventually. I can't upgrade to Win10 (cause money) and a refund is not an option for me, as it is one of my major soft synths and I still like it.

Has he explained how exactly Windows 7 could be related to our problem?

I hope its fine that i post the reply i got from Lennard..

"Hi,

We've noticed that this bug still very rarely occurs when loading a certain big project in Windows 7. At this point we don't know what's causing it and we have not been able to reproduce it, so we can't locate the problem yet.

We do know that it happens on Windows 7 only, so at this point your best bet would be to install Windows 10 (or 8).

Furthermore the following things may be related:

- using old 32bit plugins bridged in Cubase 64bit.

- having multiple different versions of Sylenth1.dll in your VST folders

- using certain anti-virus, firewall or debugging software that could interfere with Sylenth1. Try uninstalling those to find the cause.

- using certain plugins that could interfere with Sylenth1.

One user has reported the following workaround, please let me know if this works for you:

1. Deactivate Sylenth in an empty project,

2. Open a project with Sylenth1's in it that works and activate Sylenth there,

3. Open that same project again to see that all Sylenths are activated (this step is crucial),

4. Open the project that refused to open with the error message

Best regards,

Lennard"

Hope it copuld be of some help..

Lennard wrote:4. Open the project that refused to open with the error message
Well, this isn't exactly related to my problem as my project is still without a Sylenth1 instance. So of course I can open it and there is no error message. Not even when Cubase crashes. It just freezes and the mouse icon turns into this spinning "thinking wheel"...
What I can't do is adding Sylenth1 to this project.

But behold (epic music playing):
  • the short version:
    - I deleted a track with the Eagle Piano from Steinberg's HALion Sonic and after that I could add Sylenth1.
  • the weird version:
    - I deleted this very track, did a CTRL+Z to restore it and then I added successfully an instance of Sylenth1. :shrug:
  • maybe more information:
    - Having this project loaded with it's ~20 tracks costs about 1.4GB RAM, so that can't be the reason. I still have 2GB left.
    - I tried to delete another track with HALion Sonic (but with another instrument) and I could not add Sylenth1 without crashing Cubase.
So, it's something. At least.

Lennard, I know you read this forum from time to time - if you read this topic and if you are interested in some tests, my project file or whatever, please say so. Of course the customer base with Windows 7 is shrinking, but *some really good argument here*.

Return to “LennarDigital”