Where to start for Jazz

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Septimon wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:19 pm
msf sadib wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:45 pm
Septimon wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:10 am first thing i would suggest is understanding the concept of modes.
I have the concept of modes though.but it gets to implement between those
Get the book i mentioned above. (How to play from a realbook“ It has a very good structure.
Definitely looks like it covers the essentials for someone who has the basics of theory and technique.

Septimon wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:19 pm
msf sadib wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:45 pm
Septimon wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:10 am first thing i would suggest is understanding the concept of modes.
I have the concept of modes though.but it gets to implement between those
Get the book i mentioned above. (How to play from a realbook“ It has a very good structure.
I'm from Bangladesh.we don't have paypal or any of that sort.So I can't purchase.Can you recommend any free pdf or book though?

Do you have access to a bookstore or a musical instrument store? Maybe they can order it for you.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:15 pm Do you have access to a bookstore or a musical instrument store? Maybe they can order it for you.
I will ask them.But I don't think they will order that for me.People in my country hardly care about reading musical books.But thanks for your suggestion.It means a lot.You guys are such warm hearted being❤

So, the majority of what is called jazz is based in harmonic cycles, as the impetus was popular and show tunes, with chord changes based in ii-V (I). Bebop introduced advanced chromaticism thru devices like the flat five substitute concept. And making your i into a new ii. So, Dm7 G7 Cm7 F7 Bbm7 Eb7 ad infin. Or tonicize a chord at any degree via ii-V before.

So, take your G7 and flat the D to Db; now you have a dual function; G7b5 and Db7b5 use the same four notes. Gb can be an alternate goal to C now, full chromatic movement is enabled.

There are a number of threads on this board...

but this is gives actually a pretty good knowledge base in one spot
https://www.youtube.com/user/NolteFam
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael L wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:54 am(listen, sing, copy, transcribe) the attributes (sound, rhythm, melody, harmony, form) of specific jazz pieces you love.
this.

I personally don’t recommend going down the rabbit hole of modes as per jazz at this time, it produces confusions and things to ultimately unlearn too frequently in the popular jazz theory books.

msf sadib wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 am

Can you give a chronological order of things to be learned in jazz please
Forgotten wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:49 am Yes, listening is really important, as jazz is much more than just the notes on the page.

Agrees.

First you have to decide what kind of jazz you like. Jazz has gone through several eras. Each era has nuances about them. Listen to a specific era and listen to different interpretations of the same song. Unlike other mediums jazz artists bring something of themselves in treatments of songs. Feel, key, voicings even in the same era.

Some forms of jazz don't work out of context. You can't study Chic Corea or Bill Evans and then apply that to earlier artists. And you are an idiot if you say you like it all and you think you can do all of it.

Get a list of five songs you want to learn. Listen, Listen, Listen some more. Seek out the artists, not midi files. Even if you aren't a great keyboard player experiment by listening and trying to cop a few.

Theory is less than nothing if you cannot perform. Theory simply states what has been observed. Some theorists build up walls and say this far and no further.

Once you have a style in jazz that interest you seek out a teacher to help you with the mechanics of performing.
I like this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/user/JazzEDge
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

step 1 : pish drum kit down stairs.
step 2 : stub toe.
step 3 : improv some random notes.

done.

vurt wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:14 pm step 1 : pish drum kit down stairs.
step 2 : stub toe.
step 3 : improv some random notes.
step 4 : get addicted to heroin

done.
FTFY

jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 am So, the majority of what is called jazz is based in harmonic cycles, as the impetus was popular and show tunes, with chord changes based in ii-V (I). Bebop introduced advanced chromaticism thru devices like the flat five substitute concept. And making your i into a new ii. So, Dm7 G7 Cm7 F7 Bbm7 Eb7 ad infin. Or tonicize a chord at any degree via ii-V before.

So, take your G7 and flat the D to Db; now you have a dual function; G7b5 and Db7b5 use the same four notes. Gb can be an alternate goal to C now, full chromatic movement is enabled.
Can you please simplify what you're saying? They sound so informative.I'm getting really confused.I didn't understand the example "making your i into ii" and the tonicize thing

Rather than look for an alternative explanation from Jan, you should probably study music theory until you understand what she is saying. There's not real other way to phrase what Jan said - it makes sense if you have the underlying theory under your belt, so work on that first.

Do you understand diatonic chord names and modulations? That would be a good place to start. Jazz almost always requires a good grasp of theory, so without that it's difficult to get started.

jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 am So, the majority of what is called jazz is based in harmonic cycles, as the impetus was popular and show tunes, with chord changes based in ii-V (I).
premodern music is based on the classical cadence: predominant (IV), dominant (V) tonic (I)
in the key of C: this is F,G,C. you can consider the iim as well as IV as predominant, so ii - V - I is considered the Jazz cadence (stronger root motion than IV V I)
jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 am Bebop introduced advanced chromaticism thru devices like the flat five substitute concept.
Jazz composers and musicians tend to seek for more tension, this leads to the concept of reharmonisation. Chords are changed to others that "fit" but produce more tension: for example flat five (tritonus) substitution: Any V7b5 chord is a rearrangement of the notes of a doninant seventh a tritone away: V7b5 = bII7b5 : G7b5 (G,B,Db,F) = Db7b5 (Db,F,G,B). Since the fifth of a chord is often omitted this relationship holds for all dominant sevenths. Any dominant seventh chord can be replaced by the dominant seventh a tritone away.
jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 am So, take your G7 and flat the D to Db; now you have a dual function; G7b5 and Db7b5 use the same four notes. Gb can be an alternate goal to C now, full chromatic movement is enabled.
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

msf sadib wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:58 am
Can you please simplify what you're saying? They sound so informative.I'm getting really confused.I didn't understand the example "making your i into ii" and the tonicize thing
Tonicization also referred to as secondary ii-V progression
simplified version: any chord can be preceeded by a ii -V- combination (if melodic context fits).

For example

iim V I
Dm7 G7 Cmaj7

can become

(iim7b5(ii) V7b9(ii)) iim V I

Em7b5 A7 Dm7 G7 Cmaj7
my music:
blend.io/septimon

What i can also really recommend is this app:
https://mdecks.com/mapharmony.phtml?gcl ... gLLJ_D_BwE
It is not cheap (on sale right now for 15$) but you can learn a lot plus It helps you analyzing chord structures.
you can also buy a pack of pre analyzed jazz standards. It is really interesting to study the analysis of these jazz classics
my music:
blend.io/septimon

Return to “Music Theory”