Is it worth learning all music theory

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My wife understands music theory. It's a type of descriptive language, and I am not readily bi-lingual. To me, a 'circle of fifths' involved whisky bottles at a bonfire :dog:
But we're happy :love:

music theory is fun

https://youtu.be/TdEOtjSL8z4

The first entry is the JS Bach. It's just a diminished seventh chord but it jumps out like nobody's business, because 1) it's unprepared "out of nowhere" (or deliberately prepared in the negative; the explanation for it is what? D#º7 out of D major... viiº7 of ii? urgh) and 2) the way it's voiced is... "wrong".

Fun!

Being that for me, composition is mostly a mechanical affair, music theory certainly
would go a long waytowards moving it into the cerebral. It's hard to consider something
when it hasn't even occurred to you that you're doing that. Unfortunately, I'm far too
lazy to actually study anything these days.

Learn about what you want to use and forget the rest unless it is for passing an exam or other practical purposes. If me and my bandmade had not studied, we would not be able to make the Electrofolk we do now and retain both our interest in classical music and modern electronic music within our style. Unless you are a movie composer who has to be cable of several styles or something, there is no reason to learn it all.

Kind Regards
Gothi
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Replying with my own self-assessment - I have hit diminishing returns on investment in harmonic theories. Naming chords and their relationships is useful for communicating as a player, but in compositional practice I'm very modal, very scale-oriented:

Choose a scale

Progress through the scale via emphasis on groups of intervals, certain intervals are the signifiers of the scale's character and must be played to sound like that scale

If I play scale degrees as a clump that's a "chord", if I spread them over time that's a "melody", but - all music is one-dimensional once it turns into sound pressure

If I want more progression, change the scale over time. I can use the circle of fifths to dial in smoother progression as needed

If I want spicy chords play parallel scales

The order, relative volume and octave of the notes reveals the scale and its emphasis, anticipation is created by manipulation of these things

Triads and larger will "lock in" the harmony; starting with monophonic and duophonic arrangement is useful for establishing fluidity and limiting the triads to the central moments

Combine all of those rules and it's a toolbox, it can build out the harmonic elements of a song without so much trial and error, but without being too trite or restrictive on style either.

Return to “Music Theory”