CM review of the PS-1 VSTi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hoffy wrote:cm magazine is shit,i can remember in many of the old, old issues i baught, they heaped praise upon VST's that were... shit.
We'll leave it up to you then.Should we try the PS-1 demo or not? Don't mind me,Just searching for some relevance. :?
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein

Klemperer wrote:They also wrote - and even as I had tested it I learned that from them, hurray - is
Computermusic wrote: However, the PS-1's real killer feature is its ability to load up any 16bit/44,1Khz mono WAV and use it as an oscillator waveform.
This is something I didn't fully get into yet, because the manymany presets are of such a good quality that you'll use them for a whole lot of weeks first I think. But as CM writes, with this feature the synth will never get old, which finally is a good thing!
Yes it's a great feature that means we can release packs of extra waveforms, along with more presets, for registered users to download :)

M'Snah wrote: Actually when I read the review I just thought 'is that all'? Of course the rating is correct, but IMO when reviewing a soft synth they should not only describe the user interface (which was 90% of the review), but also say something about the quality of the presets, and even more important about the quality of the onboard filters and effects, and the useability of all the knobs and sliders to create your own sounds. (tbh I think that I just expect too much from a magazine like CM, but still when I read the review I felt disappointed, not about the product but about the review).
Actually a very good point, I think, Hans. But I already had the PS-1 before me as I read it, and so I knew about the stunningly good sounds. In a former issue, 85 or so (not sure), CM had already told readers about the features.

hoffy, I came from german mags like "keys" and "keyboards". Compared to them, CM does very good reviews, not always saying "10/10" like german mags suggest. I only know it since issue 61 or so, but to me the mag is great. There are even 3/10 reviews now, only one time I guess, but 5/10 or so is more often, not just a advertising-thing! And the PS-1-review, while, as Hans rightly says, stressing a bit too much the FINE looks, was a good one, I think. You're told what PS-1 has to offer, and you can demo it. That's what I expect...

Really enjoyed the audio demos. I like the GUI too. Everything is crearly accesible. Very tempting...

Pro-Sounds wrote:
Klemperer wrote:They also wrote - and even as I had tested it I learned that from them, hurray - is
Computermusic wrote: However, the PS-1's real killer feature is its ability to load up any 16bit/44,1Khz mono WAV and use it as an oscillator waveform.
This is something I didn't fully get into yet, because the manymany presets are of such a good quality that you'll use them for a whole lot of weeks first I think. But as CM writes, with this feature the synth will never get old, which finally is a good thing!
Yes it's a great feature that means we can release packs of extra waveforms, along with more presets, for registered users to download :)

For free? - or is it going to follow the "printer cartridge" approach of WSTation?

Does look tempting though - a great gui is important - hadn't realised it was based on daAlpha though till recently (which I love).

aMUSEd wrote:
Pro-Sounds wrote:Yes it's a great feature that means we can release packs of extra waveforms, along with more presets, for registered users to download :)

For free? - or is it going to follow the "printer cartridge" approach of WSTation?
We have really only discussed the next add-on waves pack, which I am told will be free for registered users.
aMUSEd wrote:Does look tempting though - a great gui is important - hadn't realised it was based on daAlpha though till recently (which I love).
Yep - its kinda like daAlfa2k's big brother. Talking of which, you did know there is an upgrade for daAlfa2k users in this DASH Signature thread didn't you? It ends today - so i am told - and Luigi seems to have supplied the link to everyone, not just daAlfa2k users ;)

So, come on guys - grab your copy of the PS-1 for only EUR 95.00 - ends today!! :)
(shit, I sound like a sofa saleman. LOL)

Well,I tried the demo and it's not for me I guess,the GUI is nice(very nice) but it sounds boring and old to me and I do think the CM review was a bit overblown.Anyway,that's my opinion.
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein

Pro-Sounds wrote: So, come on guys - grab your copy of the PS-1 for only EUR 95.00 - ends today!! :)
(shit, I sound like a sofa saleman. LOL)
Shit it is tempting but I've recently bought a load a new synths all at once almost and am having a hard time getting my head around them as it is (some I haven't even installed yet like Absynth 3) - if the offer wasn't short term I prolly would eventually but it's not so...sorry.

hmm...I don't know Folks...Now, completely without bias, I think it sounds great. As do many other people. We have'nt had a single customer that's unhappy with their purchase. Sure there are pleny of great sounding synths out there. I don't see how it could just sound "plain" though, when you can really make it sound like anything you'd like being you can load any sample into it and shape it with the synthesis features. I think you are expecting a little too much as well...sure it's not tera...tera has multi-breakpoint evnvelopes, and various different kinds of synthesis while this is mostly subtractive and RM...And of course it's not an absynth, for similar reasons. So to compare it to much more expensive synths, with many more features is rather unfair. I also understand that sound is a very subjective field, and regardless of what it has or doesn't have, there will still be a few people who would rather piss on it than anything else...there's nothing we can do about that, Can't please everyone. However, there are alot of people who own the PS-1 who love it...and these are people that have a very respected standing in the community, including Manytone, Tim conrardy ( i know i know, he worked on presets, but he really loved all of the sounds in it, not just his own) among many others. Original Flipper even liked it...and he's a tough guy to please. So, i think that our customer base alone speaks for itself. There will always be nay-sayers, but i haven't seen any bad points brought up so far that really had any relevance.

peace!
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

OMU wrote:Hey Totc, can't you master those mp3 demos of PS-1? They sound bad man, way too distorted. Probably a higher bitrate would help too. Cheers.
er... - thanks! :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Hey pro-sounds , do you guys do the sofas that are shaped like an L,
you know ,those corner lounges, and how much is it to upgrade to the fluffy pillow version? :hihi:

Seriously though I'd like this one someday.(damn finances!!)
And I'm not surprised that you don't have any unhappy customers.
Congrats with the review and good luck with the product.
BTW love the GUI, very uncluttered.

--

jens wrote:
OMU wrote:Hey Totc, can't you master those mp3 demos of PS-1? They sound bad man, way too distorted. Probably a higher bitrate would help too. Cheers.
er... - thanks! :?
I wouldn't be worried about that comment jens. :wink:

-=ToTc Owns You=-

aMUSEd wrote:Shit it is tempting but I've recently bought a load a new synths all at once almost and am having a hard time getting my head around them as it is (some I haven't even installed yet like Absynth 3) - if the offer wasn't short term I prolly would eventually but it's not so...sorry.
Well, we have decided this morning that the crossgrade to PS-1 for daAlfa2k customers (which is what it was suppose to be in the first place) will remain, but we will email a new link out so that only registered dAlfa2k customers can take advantage of it in future. Seems only fair :)

Just a quick note about the sounds - there's more to it than I initially expected.
Right now I'm having fun with the many pads and fx patches and there's still a lot more waiting to be discovered :)

Also remember, a respected regular once told me "always bear in mind, making music is not about the tools, but what YOU do with them" - sound advice indeed (*cough* thanks Mystahr).

mmdejonge wrote:Just a quick note about the sounds - there's more to it than I initially expected.
Right now I'm having fun with the many pads and fx patches and there's still a lot more waiting to be discovered :)

Also remember, a respected regular once told me "always bear in mind, making music is not about the tools, but what YOU do with them" - sound advice indeed (*cough* thanks Mystahr).
aaaah, finally some sense. :D

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Return to “Instruments”