Bass Mixing Poll

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

How do you fit your bass?

I try fit the bass into the mix.
71%
I try to fit everything around the bass.
29%

Total votes: 28

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm still perplexed at how a lot of great recordings, particualrly some of the best "big rock" recordings from the '70's got the fabulous electric bass sound and mix that they got. Part of it is just having the right rig and mic'ing it right. Some bass mixes sound almost inhumanly good.

OTOH, I'm finding from playing keyboard parts with a lot of bass that a lot of times I think you need to expect that the bass isn't always going to stand on its own very well (i.e., it will get slightly lost in the mix), but that doesn't mean it isn't working to fill out the composition and make the low end of the chords work. I find this is the case with many keyboard parts that still work quite well, so you can use the same logic about whole mixes.

You have to find a compromise point where you just say "okay, the bass works, I can hear the chords, there is authority to the mix, etc.". To me, that's the best attitude to go in with. If you end up getting "that perfect bass" part into the mix, then I'd call that icing on the cake. But you can't be expecting that as a rule, otherwise you will be banging your head against walls until kingdom come.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but there are also some things that will let you force tracks into mono below a cutoff, like Basslane. That can help isolate the bass out of any stereo widening if you need to clean it up (though it will also kill stereo 'verb and modulation).
Here is my small version:

PLEASE VISIT www.thehungersite.com DAILY AND CLICK THE LINKS. THEY DONATE MONEY TO CHARITY BASED ON AD INCOME. IT'S FREE!

bduffy wrote:Also I should mention that I'll go ahead and use a bass patch with full-on stereo FX on it if I really like it, then just make sure to check the mix in mono ot see if it holds up. If it does, fine! Otherwise I have to fix it or swap it.
i would never contemplate a good bassline not having a dense, stereo delay from my lexicon-alike Platinum Diffuse Delay. It contributes enormously to the rhythm. I often do it to kicks as well, only more subtley.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:
bduffy wrote:Also I should mention that I'll go ahead and use a bass patch with full-on stereo FX on it if I really like it, then just make sure to check the mix in mono ot see if it holds up. If it does, fine! Otherwise I have to fix it or swap it.
i would never contemplate a good bassline not having a dense, stereo delay from my lexicon-alike Platinum Diffuse Delay. It contributes enormously to the rhythm. I often do it to kicks as well, only more subtley.
Interesting. I imagine your musical style lends well to that. Do you check it in mono or do you just say WTF?

Return to “Production Techniques”