compression helpful in getting punchy guitar attack sound?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

I've been reading through the various compression threads (even the more spicy ones!) with a lot of interest.

I'm trying to record a guitar sound at the moment that has a lot of attack on the first note. (There's one chord sustained for the 4 beats of a bar which really needs to 'punch/roar' on the first beat)

I've been experimenting with various things, but reading about the way compression can be used to get a punch/breath effect, I was wondering if this sort of thing may help with this guitar sound I'm trying to get to.

Does this sound like it would work, or does it just effectively reduce the overall level & only let the first part through (in which case it might not be suitable...)

If it may help though, could people possibly post some general attack/release-type settings pls to get me headed in the right direction? (& I know that there are no hard rules, but I can do with all the guidance I can get ;))

cheers!

V

Hi V,

what about my other tips for your guitar sound? Did they help you?

Best wishes, FRitz
In the end will be the word.
Check out some of my music at www.fritzmetal.de

Why not just play it that way? Or use a volume envelope.

Commpression is a good way to remove the punch from most things.

A compressor can be set to ignore the attack( by setting a longer attack time), or it can reduce the volume of the attack (by setting a short attack time)

Maybe an expander, or a compressor that also has an expansion function.

I'd suggest what I said in the 1st line above.

Yep, expander ... makes quiet sounds quieter. In your case, reduce the level of the signal after the initial peak (determined by the threshold)

A combination of compression with long attack, lower threshold and long release, and attention to the dynamics you want when playing, should get the results you're looking for...

cheers for the comments. Yes thanks Fritz, your other comments did help. I've moved from Guitar Port & am trying a Guitar Rig demo as I was just doing too many takes with GP, but I'm using a Mesa head in GR and that's getting me pretty close (along with a clean, chorused layered track).

I thinking I'm making some headway with using a compressor on it too (although to be honest, I'm starting to mistrust my ears now ;) ). The expander idea sounds interesting too - if anyone could point me towards any freebies or demos then that would help too

cheers!

V

Return to “Production Techniques”