Does anyone know an EQ plug that is midi-NOTE controllable

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
c_huelsbeck
KVRist
350 posts since 23 Feb, 2001 from San Rafael, California

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:49 pm

This might be a tough one... I have an old track (wave only) where I would like to remove a melody line... I tried a steep notch EQ and it works pretty well on a single note... it would be a lot of work to go through the file and work on every note one by one.

It would be nice if there was an EQ that had a midi input where I could re-play the melody in sync to the track and the EQ frequency would follow the notes I play... does something like this exist?

Mr. Tunes
Tunesmith
2891 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Toronto

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:02 pm

hmmm maybe something like this would be worth trying?
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/986.html

Andywanders
KVRAF
2568 posts since 3 Aug, 2003 from Narnia

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:24 pm

Some hosts allow you to convert incoming MIDI data into just about anything else. For example, Logic can take a MIDI note message and use it to control any parameter on any VST via the environment's transform functions. It would be easy to set up MIDI notes to control the frequency of a notch filter in this way.

I think Cubase can do this too... :?

Maybe EXT can as well... I don't know.

Good luck with it.

:wink:

greendoor
KVRian
769 posts since 2 Apr, 2005

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:59 pm

The hard part is getting the eq/filter to track the keyboard accurately.

A synth filter is designed to do exactly that. You would need a band reject filter - if you could find a synth that can process external audio you might be lucky. A bandpass filter that can go negative, with a fair amount of resonance should do the trick.

bernhardtjeff
KVRian
886 posts since 2 Jun, 2005 from Hawaii

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:45 pm

i wonder if dfx's rez synth could be used here somehow, even though it's bandPASS, not bandREJECT: http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

hmm...

oh, i got it. i guess this would work theoretically, but i don't know how it would sound....

play the melody on rez synth with the original file playing through. then export just the sound of rez synth. then load both into adobe audition. use audition's noise reduction feature like this: highlight the WHOLE waveform from rezsynth and use it as the noise profile, then switch to the original file and, using the profile from the rez synth file, reduce the "noise."

wouldn't this theoretically work? i guess it would take some messing around with, but maybe. if you don't have audition, i'm sure if you asked nicely, someone could try this technique out for you :hihi: .

of course, having a bandREJECT version of rezsynth would be much easier...

c_huelsbeck
KVRist

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:45 am

Thanks for the suggestions! :)
I will try out some things... rez synth seems definitely to be a good starting point.

spacedad
KVRAF
4739 posts since 26 Apr, 2002 from the bogely factory

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:04 am

would knockout be able to do it?if you have a file with just the synth line then it should cancel it out. :)
http://www.freewebs.com/st3pan0va/

dover666
KVRAF
3925 posts since 23 Oct, 2005 from vassalboro, maine

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:12 am

hmmm.... there's an idea - i'm gonna make one. I'ts similar to a concept i've been working on just to get highly restricted tones in my own stuff. but if it were harder - and brutal - it just might work....

grease
KVRist
229 posts since 20 Jul, 2002 from Massachusetts

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:43 am

If you use FL Studio than this can be done with a notch eq controlled by the FL keyboard controller. Takes a bit of explanation, but I won't bother with the details if you don't use FL!

JonasNorberg
KVRian
699 posts since 16 Dec, 2005 from SF, CA, USA

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:16 pm

Hi all, with some help from Chris (original poster and colleague) I put together the definitive plug for this specific purpose. It works pretty good too.

Grab it here:
http://www.acc.umu.se/~bedev/software/vst/#SNIPER

I should maybe post it on the front page too...

Jonas

cheater
KVRist
34 posts since 2 Feb, 2005

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:06 pm

i would load it into vertigo and edit it...

jonas:
it would be cool if:
1. you could have a bipolar envelope for this (whether to add or remove the sound?) - would probably be great for removing stuff with long attacks etc...
2. you could choose which output you want (the stuff that's in the notch or the stuff that's not in the notch?), perhaps two level knobs

james0tucson
KVRAF
4222 posts since 23 Feb, 2004 from Tucson Arizona USA

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 pm

grease wrote:If you use FL Studio than this can be done with a notch eq controlled by the FL keyboard controller. Takes a bit of explanation, but I won't bother with the details if you don't use FL!
Might be even better now with EQUO.

JonasNorberg
KVRian

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:49 pm

cheater wrote: ...
1. you could have a bipolar envelope for this (whether to add or remove the sound?) - would probably be great for removing stuff with long attacks etc...
2. you could choose which output you want (the stuff that's in the notch or the stuff that's not in the notch?), perhaps two level knobs
Thanks for the feedback! I must dissapoint you though :/

This plug is made only to remove stuff, if you want bandpass filters, try "Smart Electronix DFX Rez Synth" (I haven't tried it but it seems to be doing what you say)
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/659.html

Jonas

JonasNorberg
KVRian

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Sniper is added to the plugin-database now http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2065.html

Review or rate it :)

c_huelsbeck
KVRist

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:27 pm

I have to say that this actually works pretty well... though the melody in my case is still not be completely removed (because of the way it sounds and the effects that were used when the track was originally recorded), but definitely dampened enough to fix the problem. Thanks to Jonas for his effort and giving me a tool to save the work... I'm still working a bit on the track, but it's close to be finished... :)

Return to “Effects”