Sub-Conscious Reminiscence of Old Music?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i sound a lot like whatever i'm listening to at the time.

but more weirdly, my mum watched a lot of hill street blues when she was pregnant with me and i have this thing that if i noodle enough on a piano i end up on the chord progression for the theme tune.

i'd done it for ages without ever noticing before one day i was noodling away at my mum and dads house (they have a really nice piano) and my mum suddenly noticed it was hill street blues. can't say i've ever learnt the tune, or even watched a whole episode so it makes me wonder....

RTaylor wrote:
bernhardtjeff wrote:
and when I used to play in metalcore bands I often found myself using their theories without knowing it
their "theories"?
:) I sort of questioned that myself.

e.g. composition ideas, solo construction, structure, etc.

Reverse Engineer wrote:The only sounds i was exposed to for the first 15yrs of my life were people shitting in buckets.....nuff said.
so you were listening to metallica and magaseth?
lol

Reverse Engineer wrote:The only sounds i was exposed to for the first 15yrs of my life were people shitting in buckets.....nuff said.
You do a lot of songs with metallic "plopping" sounds in them?

graysonmillar wrote:
RTaylor wrote:
bernhardtjeff wrote:
and when I used to play in metalcore bands I often found myself using their theories without knowing it
their "theories"?
:) I sort of questioned that myself.

e.g. composition ideas, solo construction, structure, etc.
:) that was a jab... supposedly humorous though generally less so than the author intends. You can safely ignore it.

Return to “Music Theory”