Is anyone here familiar with Maroon 5?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sometimes the third (in that case E) could be present, especially in later jazz. But it is usually voiced above the F, otherwise the sound is too dissonant.

It'd still be a technical suspension, just only in the one voice...

Sure, this is a suspended chord, the tone is a non-harmonic tone and is in the bass in that case.

Ah okay. Well THAT I know a bit about; the function of 9nth chords, on the other hand, I don't.

Toxikator wrote:Well for example if you were to say C/F I'd classify it as a CFG suspended chord (4-3 suspension if it resolves to C)
It depends on context of course, but the notes C and G, above an F in the bass, would probably more likely be analysed as F major, with a ninth (which may or may not be part of a 9-8 suspension).

If there was an E above the F also, then it could be C/F, or it could be F major with a 7th and a 9th. - Either way does not necessarily have to involve a suspension.
Toxikator wrote:Ah okay. Well THAT I know a bit about; the function of 9nth chords, on the other hand, I don't.
In classical harmony (Jazz is freer), the most common ninth chords are V9 and ii9. The ninth is usually in the top voice and resolves down by step. The seventh is usually present below the ninth (in 4-part harmony the 5th is omitted). V9 generally resolves to I or vi7, whereas ii9 usually resolves to V or V7.

So a 9nth is just an extension of the 7th? I just tried a diatonic ii9-V7-I... I gotta say, it sounds like a diatonic ii7-V7-I with an irritating noise (that was on strings)

ON THE OTHER HAND, I notice that playing ii9-iii9-I is very close to (if not exactly) the chorus progression from "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5, so we're back on topic!

Toxikator wrote:So a 9nth is just an extension of the 7th? I just tried a diatonic ii9-V7-I... I gotta say, it sounds like a diatonic ii7-V7-I with an irritating noise (that was on strings)

ON THE OTHER HAND, I notice that playing ii9-iii9-I is very close to (if not exactly) the chorus progression from "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5, so we're back on topic!
Advanced Ninths

(Sorry for straying off-topic a bit:

This example shows an excellent progression involving V9. Note the ninth is prepared and falls by step. All the sevenths also fall by step.
Also note, another fantastic thing about this; the contrary motion between bass and soprano!

Yes, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths - all are (ex)tensions.
In this topic, I talk more jazzy and exclude preparation and resolution when I talk about sus chords. And I think that classicaly, the analysis of C/F as said by JumpingJackFlash is more appropriate.

Return to “Music Theory”