BR: stretched clips * 8

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

did a stretched-clips test tonight.. found some weird behaviour... i started with 9 1-bar samples (various original length), set all to 'stretch', and duplicated them 4 times, and played in loop the resulting 4-bar block...
there seems to be something with the number 8 going on.
if i un-muted only the 4 top tracks, everything was alright.
5 tracks played ok the first bar, only the 3 top tracks on bar 2, back to normal on bar 3, top 3 tracks on bar 4, repeating this pattern with longer loops
with 6 tracks, the same happened, but with only top 2 tracks playing for bar 2 and 4
7 tracks, same, but 1 playing on 2,4
8, none playing on 2,4
9 and more, 8 first ones behave as described, the rest ignored...
so, to me (just guessing, in 'coder' mode) it looks like 8 stretched tracks are 'prepared' or something, and when new ones are about to start playing, a slot is allocated from the 'free' ones...
with 5 tracks playing, there would be 3 'free' ones... could explaining some of the weird behaviour.
none of this does not happen in 'repitch' mode

cern.th.skei
(ubuntu 7.04, jack, 48k)

Can you please post your song? (with sample folder)
Hard to follow your post without it.
Also check out this thread for some talk about audio clip bugs:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

the samples are all over my hd right now, and with no 'collect samples' or something, the hunting must be done manually :) but, will try to do it a bit later..

any 8-9 other samples/loops will probably do for testing this, though

cern.th.skei

I hear you.
We REALLY need a self-contained song option. Trading projects is a PIA! without that.

In the mean time, can you recreate the issue with some clips you render to track. Those get stored to the audio folder for your project. Zip that up and send it with your song.

if you convert your audio files to xtc's first they get saved in the .xt project file its self 8)

handy for colabs & demo tracks :)

Subz

ok, try this
http://cern.linux.vst.googlepages.com/s ... xt.tar.bz2
(3.3mb)
this one first plays the top 8 stretched clips (not the 9th one), then none, then 8 again, etc...
try to mute/unmute tracks when playing, and notice what happens when new clips is about to start

cern.th.skei

btw: seems like the samples are stored internally (via clips) as float. i rendered the parts to 48k 16bit mono, and the resulting xt file is more than double the size of the samples, or it converts internally to stereo, oh well..

Ok confirmed!
Strange stuff is happening only when in stretch mode. Try selecting all clips with the lasso and changing to re-pitch; no problems.
I also noticed that when I had 5 tracks un-muted that the 5th (and sometimes 4th too) track to un-mute would skip out after the end of a clip.

I'll link here in the issues list.

Can I ask how you made the clips? I've noticed different behaivors depending on how the clips are made.
I thinkk this is a problem that only exists for clips that think they are "single sample". For instance if I drag samples to an empty clip, and do this, I don't have this problem. But then again, users aren't allowed to stretch clips that don't think they are "single samples" like the ones I mentioned so in essence I'm really stretching a different kind of Object class in the program code, when I open it up and stretch the samples inside.

PS VERY cool that samples are stored with project! That is a huge thumbs up. Will have to test that part more later.

i think this is just capping/limitations

stretched files eat shite loads of cpu! some hosts get around this by internally rendering to HDD (takes time & i'm not sure how it would work for the vst version)

the best workaround is to render the clips in to the sequencer for now,

Subz

i think i recall jorgan saying this was intentional,

but worth having in the list regardless :)

Subz

yep, rendering is an option for now... but then again, with Ableton Live i was able to play A LOT of synced, pitched tracks without problem, then again, normally using the 'beatmode' in Live. (but doesn't XT2 use the same stretch algo/lib as Live?)

a slicer would more than do for rhythmic loops and beats (and add a lot too), but for pitch envelopes and stuff, hm...

cern.th.skei

wouldn't be that much of a problem perhaps if i were still using windows, and had v1.4 available...

djsubject wrote:i think i recall jorgan saying this was intentional,
Subz
Any idea why? Ok the cpu load is more but not necessarily a limiting factor after 6 tracks.

It's all confirmed here. With 10 audio tracks (parts all in Stretch mode , but not actually stretched)
- either only the first 6 tracks palyed
- or (after muting some tracks) 6 tracks played with 2 muted on alternate bars

Playing the 6 tracks with parts in Stretch mode = 37% cpu; and with the parts in Normal mode cpu = 18% here
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

i cant find the post but 6 was the cap number i recall,

i think jorgen said he might increase it, but this was some time ago

Subz

it's going to be different for everybody - make it a Setup Preference
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

If they're going to limit the number of any kind of audio track you should be allowed to choose the limit.
I think my laptop can handle more than 4 audio files at once. If not I'm wondering where all the power is going to. HP amd turion x2 2.0 ghz. 2 gigs ram.
I don't think cpu usage should really be a problem.

Make it a setup preference please.

Return to “energyXT”