One Synth Challenge - Winner is Kaiyoti!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Who/what wins the One Synth Challenge?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:00 pm

Tattiemannie - East of Asbonia
8%
Circuit 23 - Pacemaker
8%
Chrised - Jetsam
8%
Chrised - Jetsam
8%
Kaiyoti - Army of Synth1
54%
Popmoney - Oxyjohn
5%
Yeager - Mission Dead Air
8%

Total votes: 37

RELATED
PRODUCTS

The concept/rules are here on page 1 of the One Synth Challenge thread,

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

.....and we have 6 entries which can be listened to here ...

http://onesynthcomp.4shared.com/

A broad approach I would recommend would be to disregard genre and to some extent, production quality. Its more about how the artist an the chosen synth have produced the range and quality of sounds necessary for the track.
so .... we dont go asking "why no brass?" in a folk tune, anymore than we ask "why no soft pad?" in a punk track....... The idea from the outset is to create a track using only one synth..... and the proof of the pudding is about how that challenge has been met, so it's not about the merits of the synth, nor the merits of the track, it's about how the artist has shown that the limitation of using only one synth, does not necesarily limit their ability to produce a quality track, in a style of their choosing.

So I suppose what we're looking for as a yardstick is the "wow! you did that whole track with one synth and hardly any effects????????" factor ...
.... but thats my take on things, and consistent with my take on the comp at the outset. Feel free to discuss though, cos even if we have a mighty row and dont reach any form of consensus on how to judge, we will at least have a hell of a lot of guidance!!

The voting closes on 31st march!
Last edited by tattiemannie on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OK, thats my vote in, have to say it was difficult ... could have gone anywhere really, thanks to all participants .... some great stuff in there :)

So Synth1 was used 4 times. One Ping Only and Haku once.

I'm extremely impressed by Kaiyoti-Army of Synth1. That was the best and shows that Synth1 isn't necessarily so thin.

East of Asbonia (Haku) was pretty nice but primarily I was impressed by the composing. That would be second. Other tracks were also pretty good.

I had though One Ping Only was like a joke or something... Didn't even know there was really such a synth.

...anyone know where you can get orchestral presets for synth1?

Yeah jay Sherman, I used to think one ping only was a joke as well .... this view was reinforced by several fruitless searches for it. I wanted to ask here on KVR for a link, but dared not for fear the joke would be on me!

However, .... I found a download link .... here it is.

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=11

keep the votes coming folks!

Oh ho! .... a very clear front runner! ....early days yet tho kaiyoti! ... yeah, OK i'm only postin for the 'bump' factor .... cos I'm gettin thrashed, and need that cyber-ref to hold off on that whistle! :hihi:

OK, before I go off to bed, a wee bit of moral support for my fellow stragglers!

Circuit 23, only misgiving about your track is that you let that snare sound trail. Thats the negative stuff out of the way ... The sounds you have created/used are very much in balance with the track and your automation and use of stereo field is superb! Good light and shade in the arrangement... which is best appreciated played loud!

Chrised ... you used one ping only! I think you took the spirit of this comp well on board! .... as in, you fought with restriction from the off. Think about it this way. If a guy on a bike whizzes round the block, has to avoid a drunk driver, and some suicidal pedestrians, we might praise his regard for his safety, and the safety of others, and might even put this down to his skill. But if someone does the same on a unicycle????
I've used One Ping Only, and therefore I can comment in a qualified sense, that you really achieved something there!

Perhaps if there were sound samples as well, more people would vote.

hey! there should be direct links to the tunes

Ofcourse. My bad.

Yah, there will probably be more participants to this poll if direct links were somehow posted.

but, but, but, the one link above ( first post ) leads straight to the page where they are all on! and there you can choose to listen, and/or download any of them .... and/or read their info files .... without having to come back to a post and pick the next link!

Keep on at me if there's a prob doing this .... as far as I can see, people are having no probs downloading the tracks .... maybe they want to take a bit of time to make their mind up what to vote for .... the poll hasn't been up for very long really.

Its a daft time in the morning here, not long home from a gig, and heading bedwards! ...but if there is a strength of feeling that individual links should be added, I will take the time to do it tomorrow.

Good point

BUMP! ...(thats how you get more votes! :hihi: )

:-o "army of synth1" is forcing me to re-evaluate my opinion of synth1

ok, is this danny elfman playing a joke on us?
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

Army of Synth1 is marching on ..... annihilating all in its path!!! ... is this competition still a competition?? :cry: :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”