RELATED
PRODUCTS
steven_james
KVRer
Topic Starter
13 posts since 18 Sep, 2009 from Scotland, UK

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:23 am

Hello to all at the KVR forum!

Back in September I posted an image of a new VST instrument based on the sounds etc. of legendary synth pioneer Jean Michel Jarre who has been a musical hero of mine for many years.

I think I made the fatal mistake of trying to suggest that this was going to be a real product, even to the point of including logos etc. from a major publisher of software instruments, and you guys pretty-much ripped it apart!

This put me into a bit of a panic (especially considering the associated company logos) and I removed it immediately.

I have learned my lesson and would now like to present it again to you with a proper explanation for its creation . . .

. . . although I have been a musician for many years now I am actually a freelance designer by day and I have wanted to design my own VST interface for a while. When I finally had the time to do so I decided its theme should be based on the artist who inspired me (as a young boy) to take an interest in electronic music.

Yes it is probably much too cheesy, over the top and eats up way too much screen real-estate but I had a lot of fun with it. I just hope to get plenty of exposure for it, especially on KVR, because I would love to do some proper design work on software like this!

The logo at the top is now my own (design company) logo and the Aero Productions text at the bottom is actually the name of Jean Michel Jarre's company.

Thanks for looking . . .

:D :D :D
Last edited by steven_james on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artvera
KVRian
828 posts since 18 Feb, 2004 from Czech Republic

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:31 am

I like this graphic concept !
Interesting and more different from other GUIs.

xybre
KVRAF
1757 posts since 19 May, 2006 from Nomadic (Chicago and San Francisco mostly)

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:49 am

As soon as I saw it it reminded me of something. Took me a minute to figure out what.

So I IMed a friend and simply said "Hey, what synth does this remind you of?" And got the exact same response as I had thought.

So I compared the interfaces, and well, they don't look anything alike. So it must be something subconscious to do with the curves and the placement of the controls.

Yes its a little over the top and too big, but overall its good, I like the details, and the knobs along the middle are very attractive. I think the only downside is the buttons, they don't seem to "stand out" like the knobs and other features do. Also the font is kind meh, at least the way its used.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

K-Slash
KVRAF
1623 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Paris, France

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi !

I think you need to post you GUI design concepts in the DSP and Plug-in Development section of the forum.

I really hope that you'll be hired by quality developers because your work is STUNNING.

Love the curved keyboard, and these knobs are gorgeous.

Really a LOVELY design :love: !

Also what you can do, is contact directly the companies you'll be interested to work with, it can works sometimes.

Maybe you can do skins for 112dB's plugins for example, to begin or for skinnable plugins.

I can get you in touch with 112dB or PSP Audioware if you want, just PM me.

Cheers,
Jay Key

Pipewrench Jedi
KVRer
29 posts since 26 Dec, 2009 from U.S.A

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Well, I don't know anything about programming vsti's and a whole lot about vst period,,But I would much rather fly in that thing than inside the Millennium falcon falcon any day... :hihi:

HunterKiller
KVRAF
2150 posts since 10 Mar, 2006

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:49 pm

This NEEDS to become a synth pronto! :-o :love:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Totolitoto
KVRAF
1906 posts since 7 Jan, 2004 from Earth

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:20 am

Thats pretty cool
The only thing I would change is the metal texture that is a bit too heavily contrasted. A more uniform texture would increase the readability

cheers
T.

steven_james
KVRer
Topic Starter
13 posts since 18 Sep, 2009 from Scotland, UK

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks very much to everyone for your kind comments so far . . .

:D :D :D

Mac of BIOnighT
KVRAF
2520 posts since 3 Jun, 2005 from Italy

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 pm

I was immediately in love with it the first time I saw it, and I am in love with it now, too :)
Great work! Maybe you could start from skinning some free vst's that need a good skin, just for practice before you contact big companies. For example, some very nice vst's that would benefit from your skins are Tattiemannie's, you could contact him first, maybe.

Nielzie
KVRAF
9047 posts since 28 May, 2005 from Netherneverlands

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Looks wonderful.. but it is a little cpu hungry though :P

popmoney
KVRist
478 posts since 27 Apr, 2005 from Ireland

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:36 pm

My God... it's outrageous :band:
Well done

robogone
KVRAF
21375 posts since 26 Jul, 2005 from Gone

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:47 pm

K-Slash wrote:I think you need to post you GUI design concepts in the DSP and Plug-in Development section of the forum.
and in the Modular Synthesis section - might be someone willing to put this as a front end on a Reaktor Ensemble.

Mac of BIOnighT
KVRAF
2520 posts since 3 Jun, 2005 from Italy

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Nielzie wrote:Looks wonderful.. but it is a little cpu hungry though :P
Yes, but have you tried preset number 7? I've never heard such a beautiful pad sound! :P

Benedict
KVRAF
3222 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:07 pm

I agree. Very attractive and touchable.

Like others say approach developers (like me) and offer your services. You may have to do some freebies to get into the market but once a few of your designs are out there and getting attention your name and desire for your services should grow.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh has left find me at
http://www.benedictroffmarsh.com

Sequent
KVRAF
2818 posts since 14 Feb, 2001 from What do you care? :)

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 pm

You need to talk (amongst other people) to Mike at Hardcore Harmonics. Do a search in the threads. I think he had a designer go "poof" on him.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Return to “Instruments”