ohmboyz vs timeless II

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hmmm...if you could only chose one

i already have timeless 2 but i have it as part of a pack...the other parts aren't getting any use....twin 2 is nice but i have too many options already for sounds....and volcano 2 ??? i like the filter sounds but have no real need for the filter craziness...i would probably be better off with simplon or micro

i d'loaded ohmboyz yesterday and am having real fun with it.....

i really like timeless but i would have to sell the whole fabfilter bundle to get ohm force ohmicide...i might take advantage of their 3-split payments and throw in ohmboyz for the fun of it.....

wish i could split the fabfilter bundle

any longtime users of both plugs care to share how either of these makes it into their workflow ???

cheers

p.s....it is important to point out that i already get great mileage from logics 'tape delay'......i'm looking for a bit more 'crazy' in my delay...both timless and ohmboyz can go there...maybe ohmboyz has the edge :)

Ohmboyz and Timeless 2 compliment each other well. I would not trade one for the other, but with that said, I've had zero experience with the Logic delay.

IMO, Timeless is more flexible, however Ohmboyz does some things better than Timeless 2, such as reverse delay. Similar settings on Timeless 2, using Stretch mode does not result in the same convincing reverse sound.

If you've found that you like Ohmboyz, and price is an issue, I'd suggest posting a WTB thread in the marketplace since you should be able to get a decent deal, just keep in mind it'll become NFR.

I'd also suggest not to get rid of Volcano 2. It's not just a crazy filter with a bunch of modulations options... it's flexibility allows it to be used as a compressor, rhythmic gate, expander/exciter and works great when overdriven. There's also some great tutorials online for it. Using this as rhythmic gate followed by a delay (of your choice) can result in a lot of tasty sounds (my opinion of course).

elxicano wrote:Ohmboyz and Timeless 2 compliment each other well. I would not trade one for the other, but with that said, I've had zero experience with the Logic delay.

IMO, Timeless is more flexible, however Ohmboyz does some things better than Timeless 2, such as reverse delay. Similar settings on Timeless 2, using Stretch mode does not result in the same convincing reverse sound.

If you've found that you like Ohmboyz, and price is an issue, I'd suggest posting a WTB thread in the marketplace since you should be able to get a decent deal, just keep in mind it'll become NFR.

I'd also suggest not to get rid of Volcano 2. It's not just a crazy filter with a bunch of modulations options... it's flexibility allows it to be used as a compressor, rhythmic gate, expander/exciter and works great when overdriven. There's also some great tutorials online for it. Using this as rhythmic gate followed by a delay (of your choice) can result in a lot of tasty sounds (my opinion of course).
thing with volccano is that i hate nearly all the presets....i just need the filters which i would automate......i just end up turning it all off....

for rhythmic gating i have camelspace....i have all the compressor i need etc

simplon seems to be a good mid ground which still includes the great playability of the gui

i need to spend a little more time with both, i guess.....

i'll have to try and get into the reverse aspect of ohmboyz...haven't discovered it yet

I've had ohmboyz for quite a while and I demo'd timeless 2 for a little while as well. First of all, cpu use is much lighter with ohm boyz and I find that important, because I just don't want to sacrifice too much cpu to a delay effect, since so many use pretty much nothing. But besides that I found them to each have their own strengths. One thing I did sort of like about timeless was the sound of it's filter and resonance when being driven hard. With Ohmboyz you have to be careful with it as it can get pretty nasty (But in that way is flexible too). Sometimes I find it a bit hard to figure out what's going in ohmboyz too, if using a preset, because you have to click every parameter to see it's modulations. But on the other hand I've never been crazy about the fabfilter gui's.

That probably doesn't help much. To be honest, I find these days I'll either use my own delay effect setup in Kore (For filter in the feedback path type dub delays), or just ableton live's delays...

ebow wrote:hmmm...if you could only chose one

i already have timeless 2 but i have it as part of a pack...the other parts aren't getting any use....twin 2 is nice but i have too many options already for sounds....and volcano 2 ??? i like the filter sounds but have no real need for the filter craziness...i would probably be better off with simplon or micro

i really like timeless but i would have to sell the whole fabfilter bundle to get ohm force ohmicide...i might take advantage of their 3-split payments and throw in ohmboyz for the fun of it.....

any longtime users of both plugs care to share how either of these makes it into their workflow ???

cheers

p.s....it is important to point out that i already get great mileage from logics 'tape delay'......i'm looking for a bit more 'crazy' in my delay...both timless and ohmboyz can go there...maybe ohmboyz has the edge :)
wow did you think of getting into logic's delay designer? It seems people continuously forget that that's there and just how good it is.

ohmboys being useing it for years one of the best delay plugs you can get also love timeless but ohm edges a bit ahead for me!

ttoz does have a point there.

The big let down with ohmboyz is it's only really useful as an insert effect. Using it as a send requires waaay too much work to set up. I'm still hoping one day they'll implement a wet/dry knob or a dedicated send version.

Turn the predelay knob to zero and...?

contrast wrote:Turn the predelay knob to zero and...?
Doesn't it still generate a dry signal with it set to zero though? It's been a long time since I've used it, but I as I recall, I thought there was something wonky about the set up of it/sound of it as a send.

It is quirky as there is no dry level control per se. The predelay knob controls the mix of the post-taps, pre-delay line signal (which in the init patch is the same as the dry signal, but obviously it can be configured in other ways).

So, if you don't want to have the taps sent straight to the output, then you can't use it as an insert (IOW there is no way to have one "dry" tap mixed into the output and the other taps only going to the delay lines). And as a send, if you don't want a dry signal but do want to mix in the output from the taps, then they all need to have a non-zero delay time.

contrast wrote:It is quirky as there is no dry level control per se. The predelay knob controls the mix of the post-taps, pre-delay line signal (which in the init patch is the same as the dry signal, but obviously it can be configured in other ways).

So, if you don't want to have the taps sent straight to the output, then you can't use it as an insert (IOW there is no way to have one "dry" tap mixed into the output and the other taps only going to the delay lines). And as a send, if you don't want a dry signal but do want to mix in the output from the taps, then they all need to have a non-zero delay time.
Gotcha. I should probably dig it out and give it a shot again to see if it makes any better sense to me now. It didn't make the cut when I built my last system, thanks to timeless, dubstation, and psp 84.

They're both such cool tools and it would be hard for me to choose... I do love the way Ohmboyz morphs between presets, but that's something that can be done with automation using Timeless. Timeless is a more modern and predictable king of affair, where Ohmboyz can be hard to deal with and I mean that in a really good way. It's a rude little monkey and it'll spank you if you're not careful.

I also agree with the person who said keep the bundle. They're all excellent in their own way and that bundle is a great deal. So maybe the answer is put a few dollars a week away for a bit and add Ohmboyz to your arsenal.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

ttoz wrote:
ebow wrote:hmmm...if you could only chose one

cheers

wow did you think of getting into logic's delay designer? It seems people continuously forget that that's there and just how good it is.
something about delay designer leaves me cold.....i will probably get into it a little more.....it is a shame they didn't combine tape-style effects into it....

delay designer is a great muti-tap, rhythmic generator but then you need to add another delay to give it something a little more un-designed.....

maybe i have it wrong.....

Probably just me, but I find the UI of Timeless 2 easier to use than Ohmboyz.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

Return to “Effects”