Mixing with Headphones

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know most of you probably don't use headphones when mixing,for obvious reasons,but does anyone know if there's a plugin I could use that will help when mixing with headphones?

If you use good headphones its not such a big deal, and always remember to listen to your mixes on multiple systems. Your computer, stereo, in your car, in your friends car, etc.

There are room simulators for headphones, they are supposed to help with mixing and all that.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

From the page referenced above, "Modern recordings are intended mostly for speaker listening."

I would argue that the statement no longer holds true - at least in the sense that people these days are not sitting in front of a pair of speakers. They're listening to music on portable devices with earbuds or headphones where there is no left/right cross signal happening.

KEv

xybre wrote:If you use good headphones its not such a big deal, and always remember to listen to your mixes on multiple systems. Your computer, stereo, in your car, in your friends car, etc.
I'm using a Sennheiser HD 515,haven't really used any others.
I find that at least in the car,it's not bad for the most part,on the laptop,not so good....
so should I just get a better set of headphones and keep mixing with them?
Can anyone recommend a good set?
I'll give HDPHX a go for sure...
Thanks everyone for the help
Cheers

IMO the mix should work on BOTH systems, monitors and headphones. The headphones are great for checking nuances, unwanted peaks and the overall tone/sound of the mix. But, finally, you just have to check the mix with speakers. There is no plugin that can replace that.

Maybe it's the air between, the distance, etc..

Ghettopanda wrote:IMO the mix should work on BOTH systems, monitors and headphones. The headphones are great for checking nuances, unwanted peaks and the overall tone/sound of the mix. But, finally, you just have to check the mix with speakers. There is no plugin that can replace that.

Maybe it's the air between, the distance, etc..
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I do the bulk of my music with Sennheiser HD650's, which sound great and really let me hear the minute details of my sounds. But the mixes I create on them never translate properly to speakers. So when it comes time to mix, I switch to the Mackie HR824s, and always check my mix on multiple sound systems of varying quality.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Redline Monitor was created for this very purpose.
http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

dj ray wrote:Redline Monitor was created for this very purpose.
http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

Isone Pro is far more superior IMHO.

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/audio_vst_isone_pro.htm

The effect is so great, sometimes you forget your even wearing cans.

As others mentioned, try Redline Monitor and Isone Pro. Isone Pro works better for me, but each head and set of ears are unique. Try it yourself.

If you own any software that uses dolby headphone technology, such as windvd or power dvd, you can use that as well. A developer named Tasty Mousakas coded a wrapper to use the dolby headphone dll inside a vst capable host.

Here's a link:
http://sites.google.com/site/tastymousakas/

The dolby headphone process works great for my ears. I prefer room 2.

The dolby headphone process intoduces a bit of delay, so it's no good for tracking. I typically use Isone Pro for tracking and Dolby Headphones for mixing, if I desire some sort of room simulation.

All of these processes introduce artifacts. I wouldn't recommend solely relying on these for mixing.
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

If you choose to try the dolby headphone route, and I highly suggest you try it, I'd like to share these instructions with you.

Here's a quote from the site on how to use it:
Installation:
First place "DHWrap.dll" in the folder where your VST host reads VST plug-ins from. Then you need find the "DOLBYHPH.DLL" file installed in your system, make a copy of it, and place the copy in your "System32" folder.
I have a windows 7 system and for me it didn't work to place the DOLBYHPH.dll file in the System32 folder. Instead, I had to place it in the parent Windows folder locaded on my C drive in my case, C:\Windows. After doing that it worked fine.
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

SuperFly76 wrote:As others mentioned, try Redline Monitor and Isone Pro. Isone Pro works better for me, but each head and set of ears are unique. Try it yourself.

If you own any software that uses dolby headphone technology, such as windvd or power dvd, you can use that as well. A developer named Tasty Mousakas coded a wrapper to use the dolby headphone dll inside a vst capable host.

Here's a link:
http://sites.google.com/site/tastymousakas/

The dolby headphone process works great for my ears. I prefer room 2.

The dolby headphone process intoduces a bit of delay, so it's no good for tracking. I typically use Isone Pro for tracking and Dolby Headphones for mixing, if I desire some sort of room simulation.

All of these processes introduce artifacts. I wouldn't recommend solely relying on these for mixing.
I tried it in FL Studio, but it clips the hell out of the audio. I don't know, I like Isone Pro the best.

SuperFly76 wrote:If you choose to try the dolby headphone route, and I highly suggest you try it, I'd like to share these instructions with you.
Not sure yet,I think I'll try Isone or Redline but thanks so much to everyone that replied
Cheers

Don't worry as much about your laptop speakers, they're usually so terrible that nothing sounds good on them. If you take a track you're familiar with by another artist in a similar genre to your own and it sounds fine, then maybe you do have some work to do on your mix.

I use AKG k701s
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-701-white.php

I can hear parts of songs in them that I never knew existed. Try it with some Juno Reactor, you'll be blown away.

Checking out isone pro right now, its really awesome, I might have to buy this.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

xybre wrote:Don't worry as much about your laptop speakers, they're usually so terrible that nothing sounds good on them. If you take a track you're familiar with by another artist in a similar genre to your own and it sounds fine, then maybe you do have some work to do on your mix.

I use AKG k701s
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-701-white.php

I can hear parts of songs in them that I never knew existed. Try it with some Juno Reactor, you'll be blown away.

Checking out isone pro right now, its really awesome, I might have to buy this.
I bought the K-701 aswell after checking maybe 10 headphones for several hours.
I had been using a K-400 for years but wanted to like the beyerdynamics DT-990 because the K-400 had problems from day one and finally some plastic parts broke.
They are fragile.
I am very carefull with the K-701 which has a similar construction as the K-400.
The DT-990 are more robust but I preferred the sound quality of the K-701.
More natural room sound.

However I got Adam Audio speakers now and this is much better than with the best headphones.

Return to “Effects”