Link: Venom VB-303 VSTi (Beta release)

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
antto
KVRAF
2505 posts since 4 Sep, 2006 from 127.0.0.1

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 pm

i think Venom would become part of Open303 since i can't realy code a damn VST by myself alone.. but i don't know, i'm having problems with it too (of different kind) and i'm really pissed off
lately whatever i decide to do just doesn't work

otherwise i have big plans for the sequencer, gonna split it into sepparate parts, i'll add a new Track mode too (which will be usable in another machine - drum machine) and will have very nice track-writing approach, it'll use the 20x4 LCD
finaly i figured a way to display _the whole_ pattern at once on the same screen with the LCD..
i simulated the LCD itself in mIRC and i can post screenshots of the PianoRoll and the other interesting screens..

thanks for the huge support, unfortunately i don't really see the project moving anywhere since a few weeks now and i hate myself
the only thing that "moved" were the plans, i know exactly how track mode will work and that i'll need to split the sequencer into individual parts to be usable in other projects
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.freenode.net >>> #kvr

VSTJuNkiE
KVRAF
2490 posts since 18 Jun, 2008 from "nunya"....

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 am

antto wrote:i think Venom would become part of Open303 since i can't realy code a damn VST by myself alone.. but i don't know, i'm having problems with it too (of different kind) and i'm really pissed off
lately whatever i decide to do just doesn't work

otherwise i have big plans for the sequencer, gonna split it into sepparate parts, i'll add a new Track mode too (which will be usable in another machine - drum machine) and will have very nice track-writing approach, it'll use the 20x4 LCD
finaly i figured a way to display _the whole_ pattern at once on the same screen with the LCD..
i simulated the LCD itself in mIRC and i can post screenshots of the PianoRoll and the other interesting screens..

thanks for the huge support, unfortunately i don't really see the project moving anywhere since a few weeks now and i hate myself
the only thing that "moved" were the plans, i know exactly how track mode will work and that i'll need to split the sequencer into individual parts to be usable in other projects
Sounds like it's time to take a break for a while then come back to it. Don't touch it for like a week or something. Did you back up your projects? Maybe start from where it was working and then go in different direction, maybe?

Def love the look of the new sequencer though! Looks GREAT! Don't give up antto! We're ALL rooting for ya! :tu: :party: :wheee:
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

mztk
Banned
2667 posts since 13 Jun, 2004

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:38 pm

had some fun the other day with beta2.
even as it is its an exceptional plugin. been leaving the random alone,
and programming it properly; it's great, hardly load anything else, lol.

bpblog
KVRAF
1680 posts since 22 Apr, 2009 from Belgrade

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:52 pm

i really wish this one gets finished some day. a stellar project.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

VSTJuNkiE
KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:29 pm

bpblog wrote:i really wish this one gets finished some day. a stellar project.
+ 1,000,000,000.67543896

antto
KVRAF

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 am

latest news are:
progress since last time: null
porting Venom to VST_SDK - fail

a possible solution would be: throw away everything with the new fancy GUI with lots of buttons and LCD screens and PlasmaTV and whatnot.. and instead - implement the simplest interface possible - 303
throw away the old pattern format, add a real 303 pattern format and the original 303 pattern programing (of course with all my extras on top of that)
this will be easy to make with SynthEdit, since it won't have as much buttons and LEDs as it has now, and because i'll have to rewrite almost 90% of the sequencer - it'll be more organized than it is right now

this new 303-ish sequencer is already been prototyped as a x0xb0x firmware, so i know exactly how it's gonna work
and if you think programing Venom beta2 is easy and fun - programing this new sequencer (even that is like a 303) is even more fun!
anyway, this is just a possible way of getting out of the situation, it still needs quite some time
to be honest, i'm not sure if i'll ever be able to finish this, saying this with a tear in my eye..
or maybe some day i'll win lots of money from the lottery and i won't need to go to work anymore :nutter: :hihi:

antto
KVRAF

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:12 am

news: i started prototyping a new plan for (bringing back..) Venom (..to life)
forget everything you knew about it

it'll have the sequencer rewritten, it will no longer be a clone-style sequencer
it'll be simple, no 2oscs or funky gadgets, probably just a shuffle function and the distortion will stay in
GUI - it'll look like a TB-303 with additional 16 leds (like a x0xb0x)
also, i'll make blinking LEDs finaly (i know how)
interface - because the 303 interface requires button combinations that are not possible in software (erm, you can't hold one button and press another with the mouse) an additional MIDI channel will be used for the buttons, 24 buttons on the 303, so 2 octaves will be used, and you can program the thing in a very similar way to the original
there will be (for now) 3 "Modes"
1. PatEdit303 - pattern editing almost like on the 303, using these new buttons, you'll have PitchMode/TimeMode and all of that plus extras
2. PatPlay303 - again, almost like on the 303, again using the MIDI notes as buttons, you'll have pattern chaining and transpose..
3. PatPlay - like the old one, triggering patterns from the main MIDI channel, this'll be useful for building tracks in the DAW
i'll think of a way to also transpose the patterns in this mode, but that's for later

it'll have 16 banks of 8 patterns each (128 total) and thus some might be unaccessible thru PatPlay mode

there will still be a LOAD/SAVE pattern/memory functions, but the file format will be different, as pattern format is different now too
i'll probably write a simple console app to convert old pattern/memory files to the new format

other than that, i'm not sure if i'll keep the 2 additional filter modes (moog and SVF) since the main filter (again, thanks kunn!) has already proved it has all that's needed, and i want to keep everything simple

this whole thing is inspired by the firmware i started developing for x0xb0x (which turns out to be a success so far)
it's written in C, i learned a lot from it too, like how do LEDs get controlled, and how does the thing enter different modes.. so it was really educational experience
and the new Venom sequencer/interface will be very similar to it
for more information about it -> n0nx0x

that's all for now, cross yor fingers ;]
and thank you for all the feedback, i still recieve emails from guys that like what i've done so far ;]

chk071
KVRAF
19904 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:32 am

Just wanted to drop by to tell you that i really appreciate your work. I really like this synth, sounds better than any TB-303 emulation i've tried so far, including Rebirth. :) Looking forward to see this finished.

Thanks.

steponeloops
KVRist
169 posts since 7 Jun, 2006 from Vienna

Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:56 am

chk071 wrote:Just wanted to drop by to tell you that i really appreciate your work. I really like this synth, sounds better than any TB-303 emulation i've tried so far, including Rebirth. :) Looking forward to see this finished.

Thanks.
I am happy to see other people waiting for this as well. Take all the time you need, antto, but: please don't stop developement! And thank you so far. The betas are great!

antto
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:58 am

thanks both of you ;]

latest news: i'm waiting for a few technical questions on SE to get answered so i can begin coding the sequencer..

antto
KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm

news:
progress!

half of the skin (the harder half) is ready and working and looking nice
New sequencer! (under construction)
memory (4kb) is working too
40 LEDs and 20x4 LCD are working too!
dinsync (internal clock) is working and this time it won't desync from the host
buttons will work soon too

there is a config file where you can change the MIDI->Button mapping to however you prefere (tho, the default one is supposed to be a good choice)
it'll also expose some other internal settings that you rarely wanna touch (which will be global to all instances)
now there is a little problem where to store this config file, but there is enough time to figure it out..

what's next:
once buttons are working (both thru MIDI and thru mouse clicks) i can start coding the sequencer interface itself! :party:

once i got all the sequencer bits working (all menus and pattern files load/save) and complete the skin/gui - i can finaly continue with the sound calibration (the most fun part, this is why i bought my x0xb0x..)
during that time i'll also probably catch bugs here and there and fix them

there will probably be some tweakable internal parameters that will be exposed to the GUI, things like slide time adjustment, tuning adjustment (just like tweaking the trimpots of a 303/x0x) filter related (max reso, input gain..)
i also think i'm gonna leave the second Osc, but i'll make it look like the VCO2 mod for the 303 and x0x (which means you have sepparate tuning trimpots and sepparate overal tuning knob, you could actually put it 1 octave below the main osc, check youtube videos for x0xb0x vco2 mods to see what i'm talking about)
all good stuff ;]

in overall - there is still quite a huge amount of work
but the good thing is that so far it's going well, and the plan is clear, nothing is supposed to go wrong, i know almost exactly what i need to do, so all i need is more time and coffee!
i'll try to bring this synth back to life.. :wink:
thanks for the patience and interest!

Z3R0T0N1N
KVRAF
3483 posts since 18 Apr, 2002 from British Columbia, Canada

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:44 pm

:D :D :D

I sure am looking forward to this one. Not to add to the pressure, or anything - I know it takes lots of time, and even inspiration sometimes, like art does, but I am excited to see the results of all your work.
resistors are futile.
you will be simulated.

VSTJuNkiE
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:04 am

Z3R0T0N1N wrote::D :D :D

I sure am looking forward to this one.
+1 Billion

Git-R-Done antto!( :hihi: )

mztk
Banned
2667 posts since 13 Jun, 2004

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:16 am

yeah antto, the more i get into this plugin the better it gets. the accent builds
are brilliant.
( can we have notes sounding as you step through in write mode? be really handy for
traditional data input - not implemented on beta/2)
(is pattern-chaining going to be a feature? existing method works well though)
really curious to see how this ends up, post-x0x ;)

spacedad
KVRAF
4739 posts since 26 Apr, 2002 from the bogely factory

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:03 am

now i got a new 'puter/win7 i should be able to run it,but where is the latest one,i'm a bit lost in this thread.
is it on front page?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”