Why does Zyn crash the DAW when changing between presets?

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the major (and only?) issue I have with Zyn (XP SP3, dual core).

If I save the presets to Reaper native, I can switch all day and nothing will happen, but with the built in preset manager it will eventually crash both Reaper, Cantabile and Minihost.

Any ideas for a cure?

V'ger wrote:This is the major (and only?) issue I have with Zyn (XP SP3, dual core).

If I save the presets to Reaper native, I can switch all day and nothing will happen, but with the built in preset manager it will eventually crash both Reaper, Cantabile and Minihost.

Any ideas for a cure?
I only played a little with the Pc version and had the same problem.I think the problem occurred when i switched from on preset before the previous one was actually loaded. I noticed some presets were bigger so they took longer to load. If i tried to switch before it was finish loading it would crash every time. Just try that and see if that helps. It's not great but if you're being careful you might be able to avoid it.

I think you should also consider getting yourself a used p3 or something with Linux on it. You wont have any problems there. Provide you have an other sound card or a land solution like FX-T or VE-Pro. the cool thing about Linux is that it has multiple virtual desktop which might come in handy considering Zyn has so many windows.
What ever!

The problem is in the VST. Until Zyn will satisfy the VSTSDK model you will have crashes because zyn's FLTK GUI isn't compatible to VST standards.

And porting everything to a QT based GUI...and making a real native VST out of zyn is quite a lot of low-level work.

So...workaround (for now): Use only the built-in bank manager. Be really slow when doing it :D

Yes it does indeed help if I leave a pause between switching. So it's a GUI issue that can't be fixed until a full update?

But it makes sense it's the GUI, as like I said, presets can be switched as fast and as often as I want with the Reaper built-in presets. I guess doing it that way doesn't involve the GUI.

Ok so I guess we just have to live with that until some brave soul takes on a full VST build. I would do it if I could as there's no doubt in my mind it's the absolute best sounding of all the free VSTs, and the range is amazing too.

yes... some brave soul with a lot of time on his hands...

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”