that's what i call music! vol. x

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

given the ephermal nature of posting in the "what are you listening to?" i thought i'd start a thread in my forum for this track.. my vst include algorithmic generators which has heightened my interest in temperament and meter.

almost all of the unusual temperament/meter music i've heard has been algorithmically generated, so i'm interested when i hear human examples.

while studying voice i found this -
youtube link - ijii zun-Tumen-ulzii HD

there's not too much unusual about it.. it's a western setting and the vocal style is familiar to the western ear.

the thing that caught my attention is that one measure in the chorus has an extra beat, but it's not the last measure it's the 2nd, which is surprising to me. it's so well integrated you probably wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it.

so.. i figured i'd do a thread for referencing these unusual but delightful to my ear kindsa things.. please post in kind, but..

*edit* is there any way to stop the bloody vids fom popping up? makes the thread take forever to load... "url=" doesn't kill it.... if you figure that out, please do it, and please share methodology..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

..here's another mongolian one that seems to be a regional style (i've found a few examples but this is the most intact). when i first heard it, it didn't really strike me as much, but a while later the effect of the style really hit me.. given to wide, open spaces...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXqX891cuXo

here's a similar, more extreme example from tibet.. "The Thundering Dragon from Sky - A beautiful Amdo Folk Song - Drug Sang Sang by Lhalung Tso"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwu2v3Ds4Es
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

last night i was looking for traditions with "very bizarre" temperaments.. i've got a cassette somewhere of a few pieces recorded in the himalayas that are way off the diatonic ratios, very alien sounding. didn't find any, but did find this -

not much for the music (apparently not a happy song) but a good example of a "limping" rhythm..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yVprmn-YAc

Right on! Giving me goosebumps.

Thanks _so_ much!

Greg Williams

:) i found a few tracks from nepal that do the man/woman chorus thing with those bendy articulated melodies that are pleasant listening. i'm sure eventually i'll find the really odd temperaments i'm looking for :) very clarifying.

I've been listening to a lot of Tuvan throat singing lately. Have to post something up a little later...

The ones you posted up here are very good... :love:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “xoxos”