Avid sells M-Audio and AIR to inMusic (Alesis/Akai/Numark) group.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/jack-o ... 00537.html

As title. Some toy maker posed this news on facebook.

I heard about this last week. I wasn't sure when they'd go public with the news.
I'm glad I got out of there when I did. I feel for my friends who still work for M-Audio. From what I've heard about past Numark acquisitions, Jack O'donnell isn't interested in any of the talented people working for the company, he just wants the name and the intellectual capital.

M-Audio tech support was really good to me on the rare occasions I needed it. I hope it continues under new ownership.

it was just on the news here because avid is close by to me, last quarter they claim to have lost 25.6 million dollars. They are laying off a lot of workers.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

justin3am wrote:I heard about this last week. I wasn't sure when they'd go public with the news.
I'm glad I got out of there when I did. I feel for my friends who still work for M-Audio. From what I've heard about past Numark acquisitions, Jack O'donnell isn't interested in any of the talented people working for the company, he just wants the name and the intellectual capital.
Glad You did get out, It is plain obvious AVID's "streamlining" is all money and the person getting the name's track record is horrible for keeping up reputations/standards of the brand name buy out's. It just makes me resent AVID further despite Pro Tools being the daw I'm at home with (snagged a great deal on a v9 license/disk of koolkeys as I was not quick enough and then v10 was suddenly out). I have had quite abit of M-Audio gear in the past which served me really well and still do have some, Also have some Alesis and AKAI gear also. Makes me sick to know good people will be cut loose just because of a buy out. Business's can be such ugly beasts, If/When they do get chopped I sincerley hope that they easily find places where thier talents are realized.

Not going near PT v10 and now I really, really doubt I'll want to touch v11 whenever it lands or 10.5 (whichever runs full x64 and ARSE format butt plugs). It also f**ks over the GMedia/GForce guys and others whom are distributed via M-Audio I presume which further is not good for anyone involed except the number crunching AVID machine

There my rant done, Won't go on about it anymore but they have done nothing good in my books since PT v9 which seemed like they had seen the light and were heading in a good direction, They did a fine job of smothering that as all I can guess it was a finacial failure for them...Yet they did not give the open/approachable for all style much a chance as IMveryhumbleHO it would of worked well :shrug:

So all I am able to do is vote with my money, Its just sad. I mean all the talent they simply came at like a bulldozer when still called Digidesign and bought up...It just seems to of vanished post-buy out. f**k 'em

Peace and all the best to You Justin mate and also to everyone else as always :)

Dean

Hink wrote:it was just on the news here because avid is close by to me, last quarter they claim to have lost 25.6 million dollars. They are laying off a lot of workers.
Maybe they should rethink their policies regarding customers, upgrade prices, features, etc. All the zig-zag and misjudgements we have been watching in the last years are now being paid. And they are not alone in this.
What will happen to their instrument pack, not that AIR was bought?
Fernando (FMR)

Why would they sell AIR? - surely they produce some of the key instruments and effects in ProTools?

aMUSEd wrote:Why would they sell AIR? - surely they produce some of the key instruments and effects in ProTools?
That's precisely my question? What's their strategy? First they bought it because they felt the need to compete with Steinberg, Apple, etc., regarding the offer of plug-ins and VIs bundled with the software, and now they sell it? What will become of their instruments and processors? Who will support them and update them?
Fernando (FMR)

This reminds me of the focusrite partnership awhile back, a great idea to get pro quality mic preamps in their interfaces that lasted one whole product cycle.

I won't go past PT 8 at home cuz I don't wanna lose that clear, neutral sound from my Mbox 1. I have focusrite Green series preamps on my HD Accel 2 rig at work for compatibility, but wish my $3000 AVID interface had them built in.

I still think it was a big mistake to end the relationship when it clearly gave their hardware a competitive advantage.

But they've been pretty good about supporting things from prior collaborations, so time will tell.

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

fmr wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Why would they sell AIR? - surely they produce some of the key instruments and effects in ProTools?
That's precisely my question? What's their strategy? First they bought it because they felt the need to compete with Steinberg, Apple, etc., regarding the offer of plug-ins and VIs bundled with the software, and now they sell it? What will become of their instruments and processors? Who will support them and update them?
It looks like they'll continue to work on instruments/effects for Pro Tools. From the 6th paragraph in the article:
"The acquisitions also signal a new relationship with Avid. The AIR Software Group will continue to develop and maintain technologies for the Avid Pro Tools family of digital audio workstations..."

Thank goodness they sold Air, They are a well deserving of a better situation by now. I hope they get back to work soon, and finally get to develop some instruments as Vst's instead of just a locked PT platform.

This is great news imo..

bobbybland wrote:Thank goodness they sold Air, They are a well deserving of a better situation by now. I hope they get back to work soon, and finally get to develop some instruments as Vst's instead of just a locked PT platform.
Yes, I hope they start developing for other platforms!
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball

Hardly surprising that this sort of thing is going on considering that the market is pretty much at saturation point. It's what makes me question the approach of Bitwig and wonder if they'll be successful trying to enter this market with a non-niche product.

Bitwig? Do you need air to create vaporware? I thought they were doing pretty good without it.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

if only they would buy Emu <sigh>
..what goes around comes around..

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”