Drum And Bass/BreakCore/BreakBeat. How to(Timing, note placement,etc.)?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
abstractcats
KVRAF
3479 posts since 19 Aug, 2008 from USA-lien In the 8th Dimention

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:56 pm

I Seem to be lost. I really want to make such music, but I cant seem to get the timing right. I'm thinking EndUser/ Kid606/ Bong Ra. style.
Any tutorials, suggestions, etc?
I'm working in FLS.
Thanks guys :)

KVRAF
3147 posts since 27 Dec, 2002 from North East England

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Since you're usually working with samples so distorted that they've no dynamic range left with this breakcore madness type stuff, my best tip is to leave teeny-tiny gaps of silence between your hits (or at least some of them). On the order of milliseconds, not even enough for your brain to register it as a gap. Stops things turning to undefined mush when you're throwing the noise around at full pelt in those glitchy breakcore tunes. Give it a try if you're struggling with timing. Things should sound a lot punchier and tighter straight away.

abstractcats
KVRAF
3479 posts since 19 Aug, 2008 from USA-lien In the 8th Dimention

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:47 pm

cron wrote:Since you're usually working with samples so distorted that they've no dynamic range left with this breakcore madness type stuff, my best tip is to leave teeny-tiny gaps of silence between your hits (or at least some of them). On the order of milliseconds, not even enough for your brain to register it as a gap. Stops things turning to undefined mush when you're throwing the noise around at full pelt in those glitchy breakcore tunes. Give it a try if you're struggling with timing. Things should sound a lot punchier and tighter straight away.
This is getting close to what I want.

http://soundcloud.com/abstractcats/distrust-roughdraft

Return to “Music Theory”