Psychic Modulation Construct Released!

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Construct is a drum machine with a sound design workflow based on layering, using both drum synthesis as well as sampled sounds for creating the various elements that build up a drum.

Construct uses three layers for each drum module:

Transient: The Transient is the initial attack layer which provides a very short burst of sound that accentuates the drum by making it stand out in the mix. The Transient can function as a layered sound, or it can utilize FM synthesis in a specific way that modulates the start of the 2nd Oscillator layer. This function creates a clean 'clicking' sound that works well in most modern electronic music. This layer provides several wav sounds to choose from including many interesting percussive elements sourced from Les Productions Zvon's excellent Prepared Rhodes collection.

Oscillator: This layer is the central framework of the drum sound. It is entirely based on drum synthesis using pure sine waves, fm synthesis, noise oscillators, etc. It can be thought of a a mini, dual-oscillator synth designed for creating both bass sounds for kicks and toms, as well as pulse and noise driven metalic sounds for hihats and cymbals.

Ambiance: This is the backdrop of the drum sound. It's made up of several built-in wav sounds that range from reverbs to tape noise. This third layer can bring depth to the drum while also adding a bit of character.

Construct also has three customizable LFOs and several velocity options that can be used to give your drums movement and even create some interesting modulation effects. This along with individual Compressors, Soft Clippers and 3-Band EQs for each drum, as well as a Universal Stereo Dub Delay for use as a send effect, make Construct a versatile, compact drum machine that offers a wide range of possibilities.
  • 8 Drum Modules
    Multiple layers for each module: Transient, Oscillator and Ambiance
    High quality built-in sounds for the Transient and Ambiance layers
    Randomize/Initialize switches for each layer
    3 LFOs per module
    Multiple Velocity options
    EQ/Compressor section for each Drum Module
    Drum Mixer for quick Volume, Pan and Send adjustments
    Mute/Solo for each drum channel
    Multiple Output routings per channel
    Dub Delay Unit for use with fx sends
    Alternate pitch ranges on each octave with universal Octave switch
    Universal Numerical Display for quick and accurate editing for most parameters
    Double Click Parameter Reset for all knobs
    32 drum kit presets that can be accessed from the GUI panel
Construct is available for an introductory price of $34.

For purchasing options or to try a demo version, visit the web page below:
http://www.psychicmodulation.com/construct.html
Last edited by jack [psychicmodulation] on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

:love:
we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams

Ooh, that looks tidy. Looking forward to it.

Looks great! :love:

I especially like the green helmets with the red flashlights on top.

Musical Gym wrote:I especially like the green helmets with the red flashlights on top.
Are you referring to the knobs?

Yes, they sort of reminded me of little helmets.
(I was up late last night.)

GUI looks nice and clean, a bit like phonec (good thing).

I still like the blue/gray colors on your older plugs also.

Musical Gym wrote:Yes, they sort of reminded me of little helmets.
(I was up late last night.)

GUI looks nice and clean, a bit like phonec (good thing).

I still like the blue/gray colors on your older plugs also.
Thanks Jim.

Yeah, I'm liking the clean & simple look lately.

This is from my blog Parallel Structures:

The Concept of Construct - Ideas for a New Drum Machine

I started this project with the idea of creating a drum machine with a workflow based on sample layering. But rather than simply creating a sample based drum machine, Construct became much more complex. A hybrid drum machine that uses both drum synthesis as well as built-in samples specifically designed as tools for creating layered drum sounds.

Each of Construct's drum modules can be broken down into three separate parts or layers:

The Transient layer is the initial attack that you hear at the very start of the drum. This can be a very short sound that accentuates the drum by making it stand out in the mix. Some of Construct's drums, such as the bass and tom, have options to utilize FM synthesis in a specific way that creates a sharp attack transient that would work well in most modern electronic music.

The Tone is the central framework of the drum sound. This is entirely based on drum synthesis like pure sine waves, fm synthesis, noise oscillators, etc. Typically this will provide some low end or bass, but for some drums such as hi hats and cymbals, the Tone might be of a more thin, metallic nature.

The Artifacts layer is like a backdrop for the drum sound, providing some raw material for creating a subtle ambiance that can really give the drum some character. This can be sampled noise, reverb tails, tape noise, vcr fuzz, vinyl crackles and other sonic artifacts.

These three layers are the basic ingredients for Construct's sound design philosophy. There are also some on-board effects like soft clipping, bit reduction, downsampling, and 3-band EQs for each drum, as well as a universal Dub Delay for use as a send effect.

So it's really gearing up to be an interesting drum machine. But before I release a public beta version, I want to get the overall structure completely stable, which is 98% complete. After the beta release I want to get to work on sound design so I can add to the built in sounds for the Transient and Artifact layers, as well as fix any bugs that might crop up.

I updated the original screenshot, it's a little bigger and leaves room for added controls. This of course will be much needed during the beta stage, especially with feature requests. And if needed, there is also the untapped potential of 'hidden panels'...

Construct Update:
I will hopefully be releasing a public beta by this evening. I've been making a few changes to some initial ideas as well as stabilizing a final version for release. So far it runs great and sounds even better. I will post back here when it is released...

A public beta has been released. You can download it and keep up with updates via this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=384547

Beta v2 has been released and a pre-order discount is now available. Visit main thread for details: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16#5389316

Looks awesome Jack I love that GUI

ged leitch wrote:Looks awesome Jack I love that GUI
Thanks Ged :)

Return to “Psychic Modulation”