Cheap DAW's With Freeware VST Compatibility?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRist
221 posts since 14 Oct, 2007 from Toms River,N.J.

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:12 am

Thus far,the only DAW that I've had that is compatible with all of my free VST's AND works with my Impulse 61 keyboard,was Mixcraft 6.
Unfortunately,Mixcraft 6 is an extremely unstable DAW and despite several months of troubleshooting,I cannot stop Mixcraft from crashing.

Reaper is impossible to use with my Impulse keyboard and I thought that perhaps,Synapse's Orion DAW might be a good prospect,but I am not laying down $249...just for the ability to run all of my free VST's.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a cheap or free DAW that has good freeware compatibility and decent midi controller keyboard support?

Thanks
For Drakan:The Ancients Gates fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9XUSiE7f4

KVRAF
8016 posts since 2 Aug, 2005 from Guitar Land, USA

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:21 am

I use Reaper ($60), and over the years have run nearly everything free. If you have Windows User control on, you'll need to run the DAW as administrator to use Synthedit plugins, otherwise it won't unpack the modules.

Antivirus programs also now have problems with SE modules, it's a false alarm and depends on whether anyone has submitted them for review, I've submitted false reports to Avast and they've all been taken off the list.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

KVRist
495 posts since 30 Dec, 2011 from Europe

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:29 am

RunBeerRun wrote:I use Reaper ($60), and over the years have run nearly everything free. If you have Windows User control on, you'll need to run the DAW as administrator to use Synthedit plugins, otherwise it won't unpack the modules.

Antivirus programs also now have problems with SE modules, it's a false alarm and depends on whether anyone has submitted them for review, I've submitted false reports to Avast and they've all been taken off the list.
+ 1
:tu:

KVRAF
3616 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:41 am

You won't get anything cheaper that Reaper (good rhyme that).

It's a very capable DAW in it's own right too...
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens

KVRian
561 posts since 9 Jan, 2012 from Dona Ana, New Mexiico in the US of A

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:43 am

Do you make more than $20,000 gross annually producing music?, if not you can't get any cheaper or better than Reaper if cost is your concern it's only $60.

If you make more than that THEN you pay $225. :shrug:
Last edited by CTStump on Sat May 25, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:45 am

Thanks for the advice,but I have been unable to test my freeware VST's in Reaper,because I am not getting a USB midi signal from my Impulse keyboard at all...so I have no functionality to demo the VST's.

However though,all of my VST freebies loaded into Reaper with no visible issues,so the real issue,is getting my Impulse keyboard to function in Reaper.

NovationTV on YouTube,has a tutorial on setting up the Impulse with Reaper,but that's based on an earlier version of Automap and I have the latest one(4.7).

A few people have achieved partial functionality with their Impulses with Reaper,but I can't even get the keys to work.

All I care about,is getting my Impulse key-bed and transport controls to work in Reaper...any uggestions on that specifically?

If not,what other free or inexpensive DAW will support the Impulse keyboard?

I've contacted Novation tech support,but waiting to hear from them...however though,since version 4.7 of Automap was released only just this week,I can't imagine them furnishing me with a solution?

KVRAF
29551 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:45 am

+1 for Reaper. Supported all my VSTi's and VST's. Support for your Impulse keyboard will just be a matter of setting it up i figure? Unless you want to use Automap which of course isn't available for Reaper. Or is it? :oops: There's always ways around it though.

Edit: Just read your last post. It surely is possible to use your Impulse with Reaper. Just gotta wait for someone who has it up and running, i wouldn't know why it wouldn't work at all.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 am

chk071 wrote:+1 for Reaper. Supported all my VSTi's and VST's. Support for your Impulse keyboard will just be a matter of setting it up i figure? Unless you want to use Automap which of course isn't available for Reaper. Or is it? :oops: There's always ways around it though.

Edit: Just read your last post. It surely is possible to use your Impulse with Reaper. Just gotta wait for someone who has it up and running, i wouldn't know why it wouldn't work at all.
My situation is a bit more complicated than you realize,as while the Novation's Automap version 4.7 has fixed the bugs within my Reason 7 and Presonus S1 DAW's beautifully,there's no functionality.
Since there is a video tutorial for configuring the Impulse with Reaper,a newer version of Automap shouldn't interfere with the Impulse's functionality in Reaper...should it??
I've tried setting up my Impulse manually in Reaper,but regardless of all the various settings I've tried,the Impulse is a dead stick,in Reaper.

So if there's something you know that I don't,please...enlighten me.The Impulse with Reaper is a very common problem among many Reaper users....just check out the Cockos Reaper forums & you'll see what I mean.

I've posted my issues there as well,and no one was even replied,as apparently...my issues have stumped everyone there.

I suppose the only thing left to do,is to wait to hear from Novation tech support.

KVRAF
2433 posts since 16 Jun, 2005 from Somewhere, NV

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:05 am

Have you already launched the Automap server and gone through the software setup?

I've had no problems using my Impulse 49 with Reaper.

KVRAF

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:09 am

Also, make sure you do not have a web browser open, as this will (for whatever reason) create problems between the Impulse and Reaper.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:10 am

bobsled wrote:Have you already launched the Automap server and gone through the software setup?

I've had no problems using my Impulse 49 with Reaper.
I've been through Automap software several times and Reaper does not even appear in the Automap set up.
I've exhausted every possible trouble-shooting angle I could think of...can't imagine what I may possibly be doing wrong.
All I know,is that configuring my Reason & Presonus hosts was an effortless breeze...but Reaper is giving me a world of trouble...for some reason.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:12 am

bobsled wrote:Also, make sure you do not have a web browser open, as this will (for whatever reason) create problems between the Impulse and Reaper.
I wish it were as simple as that,but it's not,because I never run a DAW with my browser open.

Thanks anyway though.

KVRAF
29551 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:14 am

Just a shot in the blue: Maybe this applies? http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase ... octurn.pdf

Note this also, from the Automap 4.7 manual:
NOTE: if your DAW is not listed above (supported DAW's), but supports HUI, you can still use Automap 4 to control its mixer
functionality.

KVRAF

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:22 am

KVRist
203 posts since 18 Mar, 2013 from United States

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 am

elwoodblues1969 wrote:Thanks for the advice,but I have been unable to test my freeware VST's in Reaper,because I am not getting a USB midi signal from my Impulse keyboard at all...so I have no functionality to demo the VST's.
The Impulse works fine with Reaper - I used to use one prior to purchasing my Nektar P6. You do need to set it up in Reaper, in Preferences -> Audio -> Midi Devices.
Ableton/Propellerheads/Cockos Reaper/Logic/Renoise/U-He/Tone2/NI/DiscoDSP/Fabfilter/Xils Lab/Reveal Sound/112dB

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”