Any help on speeding up load times?

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

KirkHunter wrote:I'm just trying to compare "apples to apples" as it were. Your only other Kontakt library comparison is Albion, right? And that library uses the nkx sample type this is proprietary for Kontakt's player. Do you have any other Kontakt libraries that use either .wav or .ncw sample types? My reasoning is that it could be possible that since sample loading has been identified as the culprit, I'm trying to see if it's the sample TYPE.
Well, I have v.1 of Pettinhouse's Direct Bass, which I assume is too old to use any of the compression stuff, so I will see how big that one is--I think it's only around 1 or 2GB, so it may or may not work for this test. I'll see, though.

If nothing else, perhaps I could just make a huge dummy patch, with a mountain of random long samples that add up to 6GB, like CS2. Would that serve the purpose, you think? The only other Kontakt libraries I have are Albion and Orchestral Essentials, and they are both NKC libraries.

How many groups is in the KH library NKI that's loading slow?

Having a lot of groups and a lot of modulators definitely slows down loading of the NKI.

EvilDragon wrote:How many groups is in the KH library NKI that's loading slow?

Having a lot of groups and a lot of modulators definitely slows down loading of the NKI.
Test patches that contained all the groups and modulators without the samples were already sent. They seemed to load right away. So that pretty much narrowed it down to a sample issue...or so it seems.

Okay, you might be on to something here. I tried a couple smaller patches that are not in encrypted library format, and they do all seem to have a delay (the larger the amount of sample content, the longer the delay). I guess I just never noticed because your libraries are the only ones I ever actually use that are not in "library" format.

Here is a link to screenshots of the pertinent options pages:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/27psuxyf5r1g4pt/917uctGU3S

I toyed around with the database options a bit last night, including adding CS2/CB2 and re-scanning, but it did not help. I am wondering if "Include samples in database scan" would help, but I'm not really fully sure how the database system in Kontakt even works--I never use it.

I would definitely try the "Include samples in database scan" feature. Can't hurt. It will take quite some time, but once you're done, you're done. And now that you seem to find the same issue, even tho' it's not as long, there must be something going on with your system and the way Kontakt loads "full version" or "open" libraries.

KirkHunter wrote:I would definitely try the "Include samples in database scan" feature. Can't hurt. It will take quite some time, but once you're done, you're done. And now that you seem to find the same issue, even tho' it's not as long, there must be something going on with your system and the way Kontakt loads "full version" or "open" libraries.
Yeah, I might need to take this to Native Instruments at this point and see what they say. I will try checking that option tonight and see what happens, and if it doesn't help dramatically, I guess I will reach out to them--ugh, I hate dealing with NI support. :?

Anyway, it appears the issue is something with Kontakt on my system, so I do want to apologize for assuming it was your libraries at fault. I guess it's just because your's are really the only ones I ever use outside of library format, and the sheer size causes the delays to be very long, but clearly the issue is on my end (there were a few other people in my thread from last fall who reported similar issues, which also helped support my theory that is was specific to KHS libraries, but they probably just have the same circumstances surrounding it that I do). But you're really great for being patient and helping me with it, and I appreciate it very very much!

I will continue to update the thread with any further information I get from testing and/or from NI, but at this point, I think we have made as much progress as we are going to without outside support.

One again, thank you so much for you on-going patient assistance!

Here to help. :)

Hey Kirk, just a quick update with some good news. Someone posted a comment on my video and offered a solution.

Turns out Microsoft Security Essentials' real-time protection is the problem. If you go into settings and turn off the real-time protection, it more or less completely eliminates the "pre-loading" time.

So, yeah... it was that simple, I guess. :) Just thought I would let you know in case it ever comes up in the future, you will be able to offer a quick solution for it.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and keep up the good work!

sockofgold wrote:Hey Kirk, just a quick update with some good news. Someone posted a comment on my video and offered a solution.

Turns out Microsoft Security Essentials' real-time protection is the problem. If you go into settings and turn off the real-time protection, it more or less completely eliminates the "pre-loading" time.

So, yeah... it was that simple, I guess. :) Just thought I would let you know in case it ever comes up in the future, you will be able to offer a quick solution for it.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and keep up the good work!
Thanks! That's a wealth of information since I develop on a Mac!

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”