How much does the biggest vendors like NI, IK, etc earn?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would be interested to see the financial statements of the biggest vendors in the plugin industry.

Mostly out of curiosity and to see how big the market is.

It would also be interesting to know how many licenses of for example Kontakt, Komplete is sold

Is such information obtainable, or do the companies have no obligation to publish such data?

You might be able to find data on a P&L account, although I suspect they're not obliged or happy to release actual sales figures.

I'd be amazed if Komplete had sold less than 100,000 copies over the last decade though.

I see from wikipedia that NI employ 270 people, which wage might be at least €3000 per month(source: http://www.reddit.com/r/germany/comment ... developer/)

So would expect that they pay about €10 million every year in salaries, on average salaries may account for 1/3 of total budget, meaning they would pull in €30 million a year perhaps?

Not that they're one of the biggest, but a few years ago I found Cakewalks' filings online and was pretty surprised at their annual gross... something like 10-20 million if I remember. I want to say 12? Anyway, I think in general (not saying there aren't exceptions) if you are a sw professional being in that segment of business has to be driven by the love of it. And there's nothing wrong with that (and it also probably depends a lot on what other opportunities are available locally).

If you were a shareholder of the company, you'd get every year a report with all statistics. But even then the figures could be sugar-coated...

Otherwise they aren't obliged to present you any statistics...

Tricky-Loops wrote:If you were a shareholder of the company, you'd get every year a report with all statistics.
Both for example NI and IK are privately held companies, that is another reason to why it is difficult to get data about this, as private companies do not have the same obligation to announce their financial results in public

Numanoid wrote:I see from wikipedia that NI employ 270 people, which wage might be at least €3000 per month(source: http://www.reddit.com/r/germany/comment ... developer/)

So would expect that they pay about €10 million every year in salaries, on average salaries may account for 1/3 of total budget, meaning they would pull in €30 million a year perhaps?
I am guessing that from those 270 people only a smaller part are software developers, others being office staff, sound designers, graphic designers, support and sales people and so on. And for sure some freelancers and part time jobs. But as the devs cost more than 3000€ for sure, maybe your guesstimate isn't that bad. But I cannot imagine them earning 30 mill a year. That's really a lot of money...
But anyhow, NI are a GmbH (Ltd.), so they don't have to release financial statements.
Interesting question, though...

Not sure when this was updated or what it uses as source, but it quotes $25MM:

http://www.insideview.com/directory/nat ... ments-gmbh

robojam wrote:Not sure when this was updated or what it uses as source, but it quotes $25MM:

http://www.insideview.com/directory/nat ... ments-gmbh
That lists 175 employees, so the earning per employee would then be about $143K

I dunno why Wikipedia operates with 270 employees, but if that is correct, the number would be something like $38,5 million, or €28,5 million

Man, am I good at guesstimating or what :D

That lists 175 employees, so the earning per employee would then be about $143K
It won't be anything remotely like that.
It states "revenue" as 25million - if that means gross revenue, then you take off all other costs, such as taxes (VAT/GST, company tax, rates for the premises and whatever other employee taxes the company has to pay), employee deductions (which I would imagine would be fairly hefty in Germany), advertising/ marketing, insurance, rent/mortgage, probably hire purchase, services (electricity etc), accounting, postage, website costs, security, probably transport, ...the list is endless. And that doesn't even include profits taken out to whomever. Running businesses doesn't come for free. Most of the employees won't see a fraction of your 143,000.

kritikon wrote:Most of the employees won't see a fraction of your 143,000.
Of course not, I think you misunderstood my meaning, by "earning per employee" I meant how much NI earn per employee

So if NI's total revenue is $25 million, and they employee 175, then on average each employee contribute $143K to that revenue

Go here: https://www.unternehmensregister.de/ureg/

Search for "Native Instruments".

Or you could of course just keep randomly clicking around the intertubes.

Gamma-UT wrote:Go here: https://www.unternehmensregister.de/ureg/

Search for "Native Instruments".

Or you could of course just keep randomly clicking around the intertubes.
Thanks, that is a very good link :tu:

But random clicks, seeing how good my guesstimates are I should be a stock broker or something :D I put their total accounts at about €30 million, and lo and behold if the accounts at the end of 2011 (latest numbers at that site) is not just about €30 million in total 8)

Numanoid wrote:But random clicks, seeing how good my guesstimates are I should be a stock broker or something :D I put their total accounts at about €30 million, and lo and behold if the accounts at the end of 2011 (latest numbers at that site) is not just about €30 million in total 8)
You may want to check a bit more closely. Those docs are submitted half-yearly.

Gamma-UT wrote:
Numanoid wrote:But random clicks, seeing how good my guesstimates are I should be a stock broker or something :D I put their total accounts at about €30 million, and lo and behold if the accounts at the end of 2011 (latest numbers at that site) is not just about €30 million in total 8)
You may want to check a bit more closely. Those docs are submitted half-yearly.
You mean NI total accounts are €30 per half year, so the total for 2011, is €55 million ? :o

Goodbye stock broker job :(

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”