Dolphin

Official support for: signaldust.com
urosh
KVRist
230 posts since 4 Oct, 2002

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:33 am

Just to say "Thanx*10000 for Dolphin".

Tried 2 days ago, not expecting a lot, ended completely floored. Currently, my favorite VSTi, tonwise, and that's compared to Diva and SEM V (another level compared to other TB emus). I don't care too much for accuracy of TB emulation, I simply like synths that sound and behave good, and I'm very picky, and so far, this little synth is completely effortless.

Kudos Mystran

mystran
KVRAF
5225 posts since 12 Feb, 2006 from Helsinki, Finland

Re: Dolphin

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:21 am

Glad you like it.

There are a few things in Dolphin that deviate from how the real deal: the accent is currently just a crude behavioral model, and the square is a band-limited approximation. But I guess I have to admit that I've certainly spent quite a bit of time comparing it both against some hardware and various other emulations.
If you'd like Signaldust to return, please ask Katinka Tuisku to resign.

urosh
KVRist
230 posts since 4 Oct, 2002

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:25 pm

mystran wrote: There are a few things in Dolphin that deviate from how the real deal: the accent is currently just a crude behavioral model
Well, I had hotrodded xoxbox for a while, and I almost never used it with controls set to behave exactly like TB. For example, I would usually drive VCF 12dB hotter than in stock TB. I don't have xoxbox here ATM, but from memory, I like behavior of accent in Dolphin more than real deal.
mystran wrote:and the square is a band-limited approximation.
You mean, you use wavetable instead of blit/blep or you figured out how to make bandlimited dynamic waveshaper (if not exactly like "sqaure" in TB)?

mystran
KVRAF
5225 posts since 12 Feb, 2006 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:40 pm

urosh wrote:
mystran wrote:and the square is a band-limited approximation.
You mean, you use wavetable instead of blit/blep or you figured out how to make bandlimited dynamic waveshaper (if not exactly like "sqaure" in TB)?
In a TB the square is made from the native saw waveform by a waveshaper that doesn't really result in anything approximating a proper square-wave in practice, there's a bunch of things wrong with it, most obviously frequency dependent pulse-width and some asymmetric "bleed-through" or .. whatever.

Anyway, the point is it doesn't look like a square at all, and while I could run a similar waveshaper, that would run into aliasing issues, so instead I currently synthesize a crude approximation of the resulting wave (or at least it's most obvious features) using BLEP techniques directly. It's one of that things that could be improved though, I think.
If you'd like Signaldust to return, please ask Katinka Tuisku to resign.

Return to “Signaldust”