Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Maomoondog wrote:
Chris-S wrote: Hi,
Patch #28 is Timpani.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3rrjQtQe5A
That may have been the case in 1983 models, but the presets changed later on - we didn't get a DX until early 1985.
Just took a listen to the song (very nice by the way) and I believe I know that plucked patch. It's called Double Harp and it was part of the TX7 presets, supplied on the data load cassette the unit shipped with. I do recall the DXs being shipped with different presets, depending on which part of the world you were in. The ones in the US had some Brass patches as the first three presets, E. Bass 1 was number 15 and Timpani was on 28.
You may want to search for the Japanese or European factory banks; they've got to be online somewhere.

Happy Hunting!

I'm not sure, but it might have even been on a cartridge, I will have to look through all the banks in the links provided a few pages back to try and seek it out. Then seek the web if it's not among them. On my DX-7 the first three patches were variations of piano, then some strings / orchestra, then Timpani and steel drums, then I think came the basses and guitars and other plucked instruments.

Thanks for the patch name, at least I now know what to look out for :)

:? I don't think it is the double harp patch, on your song it doesn't have the after note sound to it. I think it's the same sound Enya used on the song Caribbean Blue (most prominent in the intro section) only she played it higher up the keyboard, not sure if she used a MK-1 or Mk-2 DX though.

By the way - why are you "pretend playing" the sound on an Alpha-Juno 1 on this video starting at around 0:40 ? :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTs_HQN2DhE
:tu: All is good

Sorry for the double post, but.. I do believe I have found the patch in question. If you have downloaded the "All The Web Collection" (from a link I posted on page #5 of this thread) One of the folders is called "Chris Dodunski" in that folder is a sysex file called atsu_4. Load that bank up and select Patch #19 NYLONdb1. Add a little chorus and there you have it, back in utopia :)

Cool. Nice sleuthing! I'll have to give that a try when I get home.

In my FM8 library I found a converted DX7 patch called Harp 2 which is also close.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
YES! That's the patch, I know it was not called that originally, but many many thanks for your detective work, It was also used by Steve Bronski on Small town boy, played higher of course. Enya used both the DX-7 mk1 & mk2'. Not sure which one was used on Caribbean Blue though (most likely a mk2 by 1991)

Again many thanks. I owe you one :tu:

Oh and the Alpha Juno in that video clip? A joke no one got Alpha-Juno / Alphaville.

Chris-S wrote:In my FM8 library I found a converted DX7 patch called Harp 2 which is also close.
I do recall it having Harp in it's title but the one DrewDale has directed me to is spot on. :wink:

Happy to help out Maomoondog :)
A freebie Alphaville singles collection of extended remixes would be mighty fine :hihi: (I don't ask for much really :oops: )

So I'm an FM n00b, though I do understand the principles of how it works. I'm just wondering, in Dexed, where do you decide which operator is the carrier and which is the modulator?

The op's on the bottom line are the carriers. So for example in algorithm 19 ops 1,4 and 5 are carriers.
An op above another op is modulating this.

Algo 18 explained:

Op 1 is the carrier. This is modulated by op's 2,3 and 4. Also 5 is modulating 4 and 6 is modulating 5.
And finally op 3 is modulated by itself (feedback indicated by the white mark).

Is AM not working?
Tweaked the operator's AM sens knob and the LFO AM depth, but getting no tremolo.

Chris-S wrote:The op's on the bottom line are the carriers. So for example in algorithm 19 ops 1,4 and 5 are carriers.
An op above another op is modulating this.

Algo 18 explained:

Op 1 is the carrier. This is modulated by op's 2,3 and 4. Also 5 is modulating 4 and 6 is modulating 5.
And finally op 3 is modulated by itself (feedback indicated by the white mark).
Thank you very much! :tu:

Wow. This thing loads hardware DX-7 patches. [and the hunt begins]
Last edited by arkmabat on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”