Get The Chords To Any Song On Youtube

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just came across this, not sure how good it is -

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... outube.htm

-----------------------------
Search for the name of a song or band, and the site will bring up the relevant video from Youtube. It'll also automatically analyse the track, work out which chords are being played, and show you them in guitar, ukulele or piano notation.
---------------------------

http://play.riffstation.com./

I typed in the first thing that came into my head which was 'Black Sabbath Cornucopia', for some reason. It returned a list of youtube vids, I selected the very first one and then hit the 'Get Chords' button. After a few seconds it gave me a list of chords and the option to 'Play' which I did and it played the video and gave a chord chart in real time. WTF?

Here is a list of the chords and another one I analysed -

They got something right coz Tony Iommi tuned his guitars down a Tone and a Half to Csharp for that album I believe. Both of them have the root note correct at least. Very interesting stuff.

Evidently it's written to try and make sense of absolutely everything as root position triads. Which is to be expected I guess.
I fed it Zoot Allures just to see what it would do. It's idiomatic for, written on a guitar so it's not that unfair. It did extract chords with pertinent information, albeit there was some WTF element.
Impressive how fast it operates, though.

http://play.riffstation.com./?v=8F8rAd272_E

As far as a great boon to budding musicians as the blurb on the first link goes, I think the opposite, of course.
I got my ear together straight up copping off the record, with no crutch. I advise this for everyone, universally, do_this.
I think providing crutches before baby's first steps is not as helpful as some do.

jancivil wrote:Evidently it's written to try and make sense of absolutely everything as root position triads. Which is to be expected I guess.
I fed it Zoot Allures just to see what it would do. It's idiomatic for, written on a guitar so it's not that unfair. It did extract chords with pertinent information, albeit there was some WTF element.
Impressive how fast it operates, though.

http://play.riffstation.com./?v=8F8rAd272_E

As far as a great boon to budding musicians as the blurb on the first link goes, I think the opposite, of course.
I got my ear together straight up copping off the record, with no crutch. I advise this for everyone, universally, do_this.
I think providing crutches before baby's first steps is not as helpful as some do.
I understand where you are coming from re: the crutch, but at the end of the day, people are going to have to learn how to listen and play all by themselves and I don't think this will do anything other than give them some insight - I don't see it as any more of a crutch than maybe a book with all the chords in to your favourite rock songs.

For example, I learned the chords for Don't go back to Rockville by R.E.M. and it is a pretty complex and fast moving arrangement if you are familiar with it (by rock standards anyway - you know what I mean - it's not THAT difficult). I was really pleased to find out that I got them all right! It took me long enough. So I see this in a similar vein - as an aid rather than a crutch. Depends how one uses it I suppose.

I'm kind of more interested in the technology, of how they achieved this. But yes, it seems pretty impressive on first glance.

Don't go back to Rockville:
http://play.riffstation.com./?v=6fXCjSgItgw

Seems pretty accurate to me in real world terms. I think they are really on to something with the technology.

I'm stating my disagreement with the statement more specifically, 'a great boon for the budding musician'. The technology is breaking news but somebody giving you the fucken chords is not.

Everybody's going to pick up a book with some chords to songs, that isn't what I mean. But once you have the layout of the land say on a guitar, get crucial; and determine the key and everything by your own ear, and you will obtain an ear!

I remember when I couldn't hear shit. I was fascinated with how this sort of key change worked in Proud Mary by Creedence Clearwater.
The bridge does this lick 'on V' and turns around to the tonic: b7 // 5 //// | b7 // 5 //// | b7 // 5 // 4 / b3 |_b3 // 1 b3 / 1 / |

I was stymied by it, singing it. What is wrong with me? So. I sang it until I was secure with it. I didn't bug my mother to give me money to go buy a book, I didn't want help, I wanted to walk on my own two legs. And it was a huge moment for me, which is why I remember it vividly 45 years hence.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey guys, good discussion here! Glad you find it useful. This is actually our second app... we have a Mac and PC app which does the same thing for any of your Mp3s but it does some other cool stuff too. Slowdown, key shift, Instrument isolation and a whole bunch more. If you guys have any questions or suggestions - I'm happy to answer them :-). BTW - Zoot Allures is one of my favourite tracks! I've never tried it on Riffstation though. I don't imagine it worked very well since we only handle maj, min and dom7 chords in Riffstation. All the Maj/Min 7 ands 9s in Zoot Allures play havoc with our chord detector. Take a maj7 chord for example... it's a minor triad on top of a major triad. From a frequency analysis point of view our algorithm would have the option of identifying it as 3 possible chords... Having said all this, we are working on the algorithm all the time :-)

Cheers
Dan

Well it did give the first chord A^7#11 as A, so...
The next one is essentially C#4/D# and it gave C#, so it is giving pertinent info in such cases. I'd say it's a pretty happening algorithm. I thought Z.A. a good test specifically because of that duality.

That's good news! We're looking forward to adding the user edit mode to help in situations like this.

nice... even shows piano... may not be perfect but it gets you in the ballpark.
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

maarkr wrote:nice... even shows piano... may not be perfect but it gets you in the ballpark.
And the ukulele, don't forget the ukulele.

I was going to ask for a VST version for when I forget the chords to my songs, then I came across this. I assume it is the same company.

Looks really interesting.

http://www.riffstation.com/

30 day free trial and Mac OSX.

http://www.riffstation.com/download.html

Actually, it looks amazing. If it works half as well as the youtube algo, then this looks like a real winner.

Just don't forget to 'train your brain' as you go...

;-)

It's not VST though, is it? It looks like standalone. Oh well, I just want something to plug into an insert and a little box pops up big enough to just show you the chords. That would be good. I'd pay for that.

codec_spurt wrote:Just came across this, not sure how good it is -

I get a 503 Error - Service unavailable

Tried it at the riffstation website for Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. It seemed to leave out some of the transition and other moving chords, although I didn't do an analysis. Just watched quickly and expected more chord changes to be shown as the song played.

Musical Gym wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:Just came across this, not sure how good it is -

I get a 503 Error - Service unavailable

Tried it at the riffstation website for Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. It seemed to leave out some of the transition and other moving chords, although I didn't do an analysis. Just watched quickly and expected more chord changes to be shown as the song played.
Sounds like the server is overloaded.

This thread somehow got over a thousand views in a few hours so, not sure what is going on. We may be being virally marketed and don't even know it. Careful what you say. Best behaviour. Someone probably put a link up in the 'play in a day' section of mumsnet.

As for the transition, yes it left some out of 'Don't go back to Rockville' but it was really on the money for the rest of it. No, the software isn't perfect, but it is pretty damn good considering this is an algorithm doing the work. I see the dawn of a new google for music!

I wouldn't call it 'disruptive technology' yet. But it might turn out to be a bit annoying to some (apart from jancivil) ;-).

I noticed it on Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.

Fun,,
I don't expect accuracy but I am finding it enjoyable.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Looking forward to trying it.

My problem is probably fairly typical. I can usually figure a lot of stuff out on my own, but I get stumped on the middle 8 more times than I care to count. I eventually (usually) get it, but this would save a lot of time.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:Looking forward to trying it.

My problem is probably fairly typical. I can usually figure a lot of stuff out on my own, but I get stumped on the middle 8 more times than I care to count. I eventually (usually) get it, but this would save a lot of time.

-B

Typical? As in, I can not work out wtf is going on here at all.

Just having the root notes is good enough to give a base to work from and play yer guitar.

I see this in a different light to others learning to play. I learned how to play. As well as I ever will anyway. I think I mentioned before that I did 8 hours a day, six days a week for a decade or so, on an off, of course. I'm good, but not that good, and I never will be.

This software would be great for when I have written a song a year ago and I have forgotten the chords. Most of the chords are (say 60%) just standard open chords, but the other 30 or 40 percent are weird inversions that do the same job, but sound totally different to other tunings. And for the life of me, I can not remember the damned things. I even bought a camera to show me doing the fingerings - good luck with that every time you write a song.

I would be happy to pay double the price for this software - no gimmicks - just give me the damned chord progression please - but it would need to be accurate (which it does seem to be so far).

This is just one use case.

If you had asked me a week ago whether this kind of thing was possible, I would have said 'no'.

And I really don't have much use for it, because I can work out the chords quicker by ear. This is what jancivil was talking about. But, for my own stuff that I can't remember, this could be really good. My own stuff is a bit more weird and different to other stuff, so much so that I can't bloody remember it! Maybe there is a way to work with the current software with this. I haven't demo'd or downloaded it yet.

That would be the real acid test.

http://jguitar.com/chordname

http://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=x& ... &string0=x

F#sus2

Go figure! My favourite chord of all time in the most weird inversion I could ever think of, in fact, I had no idea.

I'd like this level of accuracy so I can 'remember' my stuff. Otherwise it is pretty boring open G and C etc..

Return to “Music Theory”