"real"izing diamond strings with volume and mod controllers

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'm trying to figure out how to make my diamond strings sound more realistic.

Ive been experimenting with giving individual notes volume and mod CCs basically like this picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoipbw5w0nhc5 ... M.png?dl=0

Generally better results than doing nothing, but here's a tricky passage with some re-articulated notes. THere are volume/mod drops in between each note, and I'm thinking that that's the reason this passage sounds unnatural. Any thoughts on it?

Here's a quick mp3 of the passage in question: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2m8k4bo9a7frd ... x.mp3?dl=0

Sorry if this is a newbie question, just getting into figuring out how to use sampled strings.

Thanks!
Geoff

Well, I did a little massaging of my volume and modwheel curves in logic's hyper editor to make the transition between two same-pitched notes a little more realistic sounding.

Seems like, to my ears at least, there maybe is a bow direction change between two same-pitched notes, but maybe not much actual volume difference, so perhaps I should just keep the same volume and mod settings during the transition and maybe just use an articulation that has a slight attack at the beginning for the second note?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

auto admin is blocking all your links until you've had enough posts. Try and describe what you are doing so far (and thus post some more :D)
Intel 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Mixcraft 7 64 bit. Kontakt 5, MP, EWQL, KH, Omni. Soundcloud YouTube

Oh hah!

THe audio example I posted from my track has these dropouts in between notes. To me they sound unnatural when there are two notes of the same pitch in a row, but don't sound quite as weird when the notes are moving up or down...

THe picture is a picture of the volume and vibrato evnelopes of a note a string player might play. basitcally the volume has an fast initial increase in volume and then a very slow decrease as the note progresses. I presume this envelope holds for shorter notes; for longer ones the volume level might sustain.

The mod envelope is a quick initial increase in modulation intensity, followed by a slow gradual increase as the note progresses. THen at the end of the note, there's a quick decrease in modulation (vibrato) intensity.

I think I may have sorted it my simply removing the volume and mod drops in between notes of the same pitch.

It still doesn't sound totally natural though.

Here's a "fixed" audio example with the modified mod and volume curves:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv6i08ozahljm ... 2.mp3?dl=0

Lemme know your thoughts and tricks!

I haven't yet experimented with the KH slides/portamentio/glissando at all. I'm using the diamond orchestra package (TVEC 3)

Thanks!
Geoff

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”