KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC12 July 2015 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is my submission. Mixed in Logic Pro X. Tried to stick to the guidelines. Light compression on quite a few tracks to bring out some of the resonance. Tried to keep the drum loop from getting lost.

Song Provider: bzur
Mix: slick3gz
Song Name and Length: Earth 03, 4:33min
Song Information: 75bpm, 4/4, in Key of D min
GENRE: Ambient Downtempo / IDM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a65vbj56k00wa ... 5.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab28in1mfvfbb ... 5.wav?dl=0
Last edited by slick3gz on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Here is my mix.

Most of the material needed very few processing, and I focused mainly on the drums and basses. Maybe I should have put more lows on the rhythmic bass, bzur will tell ^^

mp3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/tg4d7sqcgeh9u ... s.mp3?dl=0
FLAC - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpdeitjl0mtj3 ... .flac?dl=0

Details : Coming...

Good luck to everybody ! :)

Maybe not too polished and solid but here is my mix.

mp3
https://www.copy.com/s/t%3Am7uxcJsJbNqq ... axfell.mp3

Wav
https://www.copy.com/s/t%3AXufAng2aLLNt ... axfell.wav

I've tried to retain the dynamics in the mix, but at the same time make it more consistent and solid.

Main tools I used:
- on tracks - Sonimus Satson (gain staging), Boz TBone (filters), EQ, NI Transient Master, Softube TLA-100A as main compressor.
- on buses - Satson, PSP Vintage Warmer, NI Supercharger GT.
- reverberation - Lexicon MPX Native Reverb (room) and Acon Digital CM Verb (big space).

Good luck to everyone. :wink:

So far we have 7 entries, which is lower than the first challenges. And the client won't be available until later on 22nd, since he's out of town...

I'm not happy to do this, but let us extend this for another 48 hours.
Extended Deadline: Thursday, 23-07-2015, 11:59pm PDT

But please, for future challenges:
We have strict deadlines, and we can't constantly extend it just because it is "Summer" or "Winter Holidays". Time Management is part of the challenge and 21 days is a lot to work with (real C2B relations can be anything between 48 hours and 7 days only). Actually, early adopters in the US region had 6 hours extra since I post out of Germany, which is bar minimum 9 hours ahead of the Los Angeles time zone.

So to all late adopters - please get your tracks in.
The next challenges, until December 2015 at bar minimum, will not be extended.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

We're on the final hours of the extension.
You got 48 hours extra, late adopters got a chance to finish in time - please get in your tracks!
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Friendly reminder - 4 hours left of the extension period.
Please don't forget to send in your tracks.

The 48h extension is over, sadly nobody else took the chance to submit their production (3ee? didn't you want to join?).

The KVR MC12 is now in evaluation.
Please update your threads with further info as you seem fit. And please watch this spot for further comments by the client.

Compyfox wrote:The 48h extension is over, sadly nobody else took the chance to submit their production (3ee? didn't you want to join?).
Wanted to join but 48h wasn't enough for me.

Was busy the whole month and then I went on vacation for a few days so tough luck I guess, no biggie tho, there will be others (hopefully) :)

I suggest to take 5 about a month or two before preparing MC13, it's summer, it's hot... we're lazy! :P

I had a mix in the works but was busy and missed the original deadline. I had no idea there was an extension put in place or I would have submitted a mix :-(

I get no notifications about the Mix Challenges - I did sign up to the official Twitter account to stay up to date regarding news but didn't hear anything and ended up deleting the project from my computer. The only way I know if a mix is going on is doing a web search of "KVR Mix Challenge" and following the links.

Don't follow 3ee's suggestion and get me to the next challenge!
Dave McIsaac

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Dave - what you report is really strange as I not only heavily updated the thread, but also posted on the KVR Mix Challenge Twitter account, and that post was retweeted by KVRAudio within minutes, actually rekkerd.org also retweeted us.

https://twitter.com/KVRMixChallenge/sta ... 0429723648

I do know from my private Twitter account, that small accounts are basically drowned out by heavy hitters. I directed this two Twitter's support, and got no response. So there is not much we can do about this other than recommend to create a dedicated list - but this doesn't show up in the main Twitter timeline. I actually also never checked the more advanced MyKVR features if you could sign up to specific threads. So, sorry about that.

Pity that you deleted the project files (on my end, I accumulate even unfinished ones!).
But maybe next time indeed.

...and we're already working on that. :tu:

Back from Ireland, now downloading your mixes... can't wait to listen :)

Just had a first listen, now loading all 7 entries on cubase for a more accurate evaluation...

Hello everybody, almost done with the evaluation, will post the results soon - hopefully by tomorrow.

No 2nd round needed, I'm pretty satisfied with the provided mixes. Good job!!!

Evaluation finished...!

First of all, congratulations all around for your effort: the first and most difficult part while mixing a track is to understand the attitude and intentions of the composer, and you have perfectly accomplished to this task.

In addition, it's amazing and surprising how you made me discover new points of view and details of my own track. Thanks!

That said, here's the final chart:

1st Photonic

2nd Kolyev

3rd VasDim

In brief: both Photonic and Kolyev realized a solid, bright mix, with the needed energy - the difference between them was a matter of details - I preferred Photonic's treatment for the initial loop (a bit louder than Kolyev's), for instance - so it's been a little hard to decide.
Regarding VasDim work, while his mix reveals some interesting details I was not completely aware of (especially in the drum part), on the other hand I was not very convinced about some details (the rev / eq for the "snap" percussion after 2:00, for instance). Anyway, it's just a matter of a sum of small details ;)

Thank you again, and good luck for the upcoming MC!

Can you maybe go a bit more into detail for the participants?

Like:
What can they improve on, what did you not like at all. Like a short review per submitted track. This would be great.

Return to “Production Techniques”