Roland Boutique: New Jupiter 8, 106/60 and JX3P on the way?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote:It would be super nice if you could decouple them per patch for layers and splits.
Just like the real Jupiter 8. Would be awesome.

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but the fact that these work as a 44.1kHz interface, where the TR8 is fixed at 96kHz, renders them useless for creating aggregate devices in OS X. And Roland support basically insisted that ACB does not work optimally at lower sample rates, so how come it's suddenly possible?
Seems to be a bit of muddled thinking from them. Still, having owned a 106 in the past (and having found it poorly built, temperamental and overpriced), I'm sorely tempted by the JU-06.

Well, I guess the JP08 better sound pretty jaw-droppingly close to a Jupiter 8, otherwise it has no appeal at all given its low polyphony, limited voice architecture and tiny interface. Everything hinges on what remains to be heard.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Hank the Knife wrote:Kids will buy 'em like candy :hihi:
Hmm... spend $300 to get my 106 repaired or buy the JU-06? Easy choice. The hard part is coming up with a spare $300, which is why my 106 has been sitting in a case in the basement for years.

DJMaytag wrote:
Hank the Knife wrote:Kids will buy 'em like candy :hihi:
Hmm... spend $300 to get my 106 repaired or buy the JU-06? Easy choice. The hard part is coming up with a spare $300, which is why my 106 has been sitting in a case in the basement for years.
Exactly the same here :(
Shame too because mine looks brand spanking new.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

The only problem with a real Juno 106 is that they are really quite big and heavy. I've owned several over the years.
I'm looking forward to trying the virtual versions. I think Roland will nail the sound.

Ingonator wrote:Th DSP chip recently used by Roland and Boss (e.g. in Sytem-1 and TB-3) seems to be called ESC2. I had posted some info here a while ago:
There is also a video where a guy opens a System-1 and talks about FPGAs in there
I just want to inform you there are better topics like Flying Saucers or ZOG. Even Obama birth certificate is better. At least they look funny. Your statement is not and you even can't explain why Roland need FPGA in DSP task.
Gamma-UT wrote:An FPGA seems unlikely.
However, an FPGA is innately more expensive if you're looking at cost-per-function. A custom DSP is more expensive upfront but the per-part cost is way lower, so if you can keep using it, you make more money.
But until someone saws the lid off of one, there's no way to be sure.
I think they use someone's else rebadged proc/dsp. I don't also see any way FPGA would _actually_ help with the task unlike say fast DSP or/and fast RAM.
But frankly with nothing special quality of sound of ARIA and amount of voices i think they've simple polished something form the past.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Th DSP chip recently used by Roland and Boss (e.g. in Sytem-1 and TB-3) seems to be called ESC2. I had posted some info here a while ago:
There is also a video where a guy opens a System-1 and talks about FPGAs in there
I just want to inform you there are better topics like Flying Saucers or ZOG. Even Obama birth certificate is better. At least they look funny. Your statement is not and you even can't explain why Roland need FPGA in DSP task.
Why do i even have to explain? i just said i found some informations about that and posted a few sources (e.g. those videos).

BTW i also found this now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... nth_in_an/
There's a lot of cool possibilities for FPGAs and synthesis. I think it's a more interesting platform than DSP chips. There are actually some things an FPGA can do that a DSP or computer processor couldn't.
As for now, it seems that Roland is the only big company using FPGAs for synthesis. The Aira line uses FPGAs and is more accurate than DSP emulations. Not perfect, but FPGAs are better at component modelling.
They're by no means a new technology though and they should have been being used for a long time for synthesizers but as far as I know there really aren't many FPGA synths out there.
Alse mentioend at Gearslutz:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... 1-a-3.html
Considering that inside the System 1 there are just 2 FPGA chips (the Boss/Roland ESC2) and not much more, Roland made really a good optimization work. Without much effort, just putting 8 FPGA chips 16 notes of polyphony could be achieved
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Ehy do i even have to explain? i just said i found some informations about that and posted a few sources (e.g. those videos).
Because people are responsible for information they are spreading.
Ingonator wrote:BTW i also found this now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... nth_in_an/
Do you understand what 'reverse engineering' means in what they are doing?
Ingonator wrote:
Considering that inside the System 1 there are just 2 FPGA chips (the Boss/Roland ESC2) and not much more, Roland made really a good optimization work. Without much effort, just putting 8 FPGA chips 16 notes of polyphony could be achieved
Hahahahahahahahssh. Yet another guys with no source and understanding of FPGA, exactly like you. Speaking on level of captain obvious :scared: You wouldn't belive.
Any sound chips would be scalable this way. No need for fpga.

This link is for you. Aliens and Chernobyl, Roland and FPGA. All real.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YbK9lh4jwBk
Murderous duck!

What's with the harsh response? Ingo only share stuff that he found. If you know so much about FPGA, why don't u enlighten us instead of bashing others.
musisikamar.com

I bet they're high lol

david.beholder wrote:Do you mean that except waveforms there are NO things like filters, envelopes or amps and vcos? In what way Jup80 different from VA?
Tongue in cheek or not, maybe I was too restricted with the VA term here but I meant that the waveforms are not produced in real time, e.g. The supersaw on my JP8000 is produced on the fly, on Gaia it is a sample that is read by the engine. Wise men at KVR claims both methods have pros and cons but they are different and yield different results. Jupiter 80 is a four tone based rompler engine and I guess (but do not know) that these new devices will be based on real time produced waveforms like in the Aira line and not the traditional 4 tone structure of romplers such as Jupiter 80. Of course you can make much more complex sounds with a 4 tone rompler than a VA engine that simulates two "VCOs" but I guess you know that already :wink:
Last edited by IncarnateX on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

xamido wrote:What's with the harsh response? Ingo only share stuff that he found. If you know so much about FPGA, why don't u enlighten us instead of bashing others.
david.beholder wrote:Because people are responsible for information they are spreading.
He didn't found any stuff that even distantly stating that Roland's DSP is FPGA etc. Just couple of mentions of FPGA in general in videos. Look at this message:
Ingonator wrote:AFAIK such "FPGA" based DSPs seem to work a bit differently than "usual" DSPs but i am no engineer so i do not really know about the exact differences.
I think it's totally wrong when one is trying to argument about something one doesn't understand??
Murderous duck!

I'm quite sure it isn't wrong TRYING to understand things. That is what scientists do, right?
Anyway, I couldn't find a link between Xilinx, Altera and Roland Corp.
Maybe this helps.
@David
I'm quite sure Roland AIRA doesn't use FPGAs, because otherwise Roland Corp would've shouted it from the rooftops. Of course I hope I'm wrong ;)

david.beholder wrote:
xamido wrote:What's with the harsh response? Ingo only share stuff that he found. If you know so much about FPGA, why don't u enlighten us instead of bashing others.
david.beholder wrote:Because people are responsible for information they are spreading.
He didn't found any stuff that even distantly stating that Roland's DSP is FPGA etc. Just couple of mentions of FPGA in general in videos. Look at this message:
Ingonator wrote:AFAIK such "FPGA" based DSPs seem to work a bit differently than "usual" DSPs but i am no engineer so i do not really know about the exact differences.
I think it's totally wrong when one is trying to argument about something one doesn't understand??
If you want to continiue to behave like an a**hole just move on but do no longer explect replies from me in the future.

Both the videos and the quotes i posted were specilically about Roland, in the System-1 video he mentioned taht those chips must be FPGA due to the way those are connected to the board and i have no clue if that is correct or not. There were at least 3 sources mentioning that Roland uses FPGA for their DSPs. Anyway i do not cliam that this is 100% correct. I never opened one of thweir products to see if this is true or not. Actually i do not own a Roland product at the moment while i am interested in the JP-08.

It is also know that both Roland and Boss have used similar chips in many of their products, including some Guitar stomp boxes (and obviousl y in the AIRA prioducts too). This was a reason why i guessed that those new Roland synth boxes could be based on the same chips. Of course i could be also wrong about this.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”