Curve 2.6 Public Beta - New editing features

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRian
979 posts since 11 Aug, 2005 from Hamburg, Germany

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Just as with VolumeShaper 4, also our synth Curve 2.6 is in public beta now.

It's all about workflow here too, with a new steps tool (which is especially great for creating melodies), with the option to resize the wave area, and better visibility for waveform points - to name the most important changes.

For a video on the changes and for tips about wave editing and for a showcase of "drawing" melodies, see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCdbyrO5v4

The changes are pretty big under the hood. We did lots of testing, plus a lot of automated tests. But still, we cannot test on all systems, so we'd be glad if you can help us beta-test and let us know if there are any issues. Besides that, we're also glad for constructive feedback, positive or negative. And feature wishes are always welcome.

We've just updated to beta version 2:
Download the beta version (demo version) (Win + Mac in 32 and 64bit for VST and AU).

If you already own Curve 2, you can log in to your account and download the latest beta from there.

Thanks to all!
Last edited by Jakob / Cableguys on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF
3300 posts since 30 May, 2006 from Hollow Earth

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:39 pm

One of my favorite synths.
Downloading.... Thanks!
Diva - Dune - Omnisphere - Serum - Spire

KVRian
1135 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:06 pm

 
My first findings:

Still not possible to hold a note by pressing Sustain Pedal a.k.a. Sustain Pedal support . . :(

A shortcut to go to next/previous preset (like up/down) would be very welcome ...

When going thru preset list (library) the inital tag value is not visible in the list. It gets overriden by 'Untagged'
 
Plugin displays version 2.5
 
 
"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

979 posts since 11 Aug, 2005 from Hamburg, Germany

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:11 am

zxant wrote: 
My first findings:

Still not possible to hold a note by pressing Sustain Pedal a.k.a. Sustain Pedal support . . :(
Yes, on the wish list though..
zxant wrote: shortcut to go to next/previous preset (like up/down) would be very welcome ...
The problem with key commands is that the DAW gets all the keys.. we'd have to "steal" them from the DAW, which would maybe be a bad choice (some DAWs, Sonar in particular, allow the user to configure if the plugin or the DAW should get the key commands, but it's not a standard..)
zxant wrote:When going thru preset list (library) the inital tag value is not visible in the list. It gets overriden by 'Untagged'
That's intended. You normally see the tag that is given by the community or by our preset designers, but you can override them. If you for example think that a certain bass sound is more likely a lead sound, you can mouse-over the preset-line. It shows "Untagged" then as this is your own categorization for the sound, and you're able to edit it.
zxant wrote:Plugin displays version 2.5 
Yes..

And: Thank you very much for your feedback!

KVRian
1135 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:50 am

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
zxant wrote: shortcut to go to next/previous preset (like up/down) would be very welcome ...
The problem with key commands is that the DAW gets all the keys.. we'd have to "steal" them from the DAW, which would maybe be a bad choice (some DAWs, Sonar in particular, allow the user to configure if the plugin or the DAW should get the key commands, but it's not a standard..)
Well I still hope you will research the possibility, as going thru presets is now rather awkward (only a very tiny arrow to click on or double-click in library list :( )
Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
zxant wrote:When going thru preset list (library) the initial tag value is not visible in the list. It gets overriden by 'Untagged'
That's intended. You normally see the tag that is given by the community or by our preset designers, but you can override them. If you for example think that a certain bass sound is more likely a lead sound, you can mouse-over the preset-line. It shows "Untagged" then as this is your own categorization for the sound, and you're able to edit it.
Well I'm sorry but I don't like that. I'd like to see the categorisation first ...
 
"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

979 posts since 11 Aug, 2005 from Hamburg, Germany

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:09 am

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
zxant wrote:When going thru preset list (library) the initial tag value is not visible in the list. It gets overriden by 'Untagged'
That's intended. You normally see the tag that is given by the community or by our preset designers, but you can override them. If you for example think that a certain bass sound is more likely a lead sound, you can mouse-over the preset-line. It shows "Untagged" then as this is your own categorization for the sound, and you're able to edit it.
Well I'm sorry but I don't like that. I'd like to see the categorisation first ...[/quote]
This gives me an idea.. maybe we just show the menu for tagging when you move your mouse over the tag text. Could work, I'll give it a try in a bit.

KVRian
1135 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:This gives me an idea.. maybe we just show the menu for tagging when you move your mouse over the tag text. Could work, I'll give it a try in a bit.
 
That might work, we'll see.
Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
zxant wrote: shortcut to go to next/previous preset (like up/down) would be very welcome ...
The problem with key commands is that the DAW gets all the keys.. we'd have to "steal" them from the DAW, which would maybe be a bad choice (some DAWs, Sonar in particular, allow the user to configure if the plugin or the DAW should get the key commands, but it's not a standard..)
My thought about that: I think we really lost something with newer synths with only built-in preset browsers that don't show their presets to the host anymore. So one cannot use the shortcuts of the host to browse thru presets (and thus imo. the plugin needs an 'internal' shortcut ... :shrug:)


And finally: a synth that is capable of complex modulations and long evolving soundscapes simply deserves Sustain Pedal support ...!! (It bugs me no end that this isn't possible in Curve. It's the only thing that puts it down for me ...)
 
 
"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

979 posts since 11 Aug, 2005 from Hamburg, Germany

Post Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:21 am

The new beta, version 2, is out now:
Download the beta version (demo version) (Win + Mac in 32 and 64bit for VST and AU).

If you already own Curve 2, you can log in to your account and download the latest beta from there.


This beta adds two additional buttons for waveform editing (which had been before in the waveform's right-click menu).

KVRist
233 posts since 11 May, 2006 from Warszawa

Post Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:57 am

Any chance for oscillators to get on/off switches?

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

979 posts since 11 Aug, 2005 from Hamburg, Germany

Post Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:59 am

zyguli wrote:Any chance for oscillators to get on/off switches?
It would be very useful, indeed. On the other hand it would add more stuff to the UI.. But we'll definitely do it for Curve 3.

User avatar
KVRian
943 posts since 11 Dec, 2014 from one rocky mountain to another

Post Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:24 pm

Just started playing around with this today. First impressions are very positive. Seems to be CPU friendly too which is a plus for someone like me who has a less than stellar computer. Can't believe I somehow overlooked this little jewel.

User avatar
KVRist
74 posts since 14 Jul, 2013

Post Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:55 pm

my biggest feature request would be a less "loopy" noise-source... please!?

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

979 posts since 11 Aug, 2005 from Hamburg, Germany

Post Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:53 am

A new beta (beta 3) is up now. This includes a fix for the help texts (on Mac they could easily stop scrolling).

And - per user request - when you push the random button for creating some random waveform, the points now snap to the grid, if snapping is activated. This is especially nice if you have a note grid enabled and route the waveform to pitch.

Return to “Instruments”