Peart BFD Song Test + Preset

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is new song test with the Neil Peart BFD drums.

http://www.brainfevermedia.com/music/Mu ... victus.mp3

Here is a link to the BFD preset. This is a fairly hot drum mix with lots of punch and a touch a reverb. Not for light jazz! Hopefully, it's a good starting point to play with.
You can see some strategies for mixing in BFD, such as sub-mix channels for everything - snare, kick, toms, crashes, rides, etc. I'd love to hear other suggestions for mixing too.

Peart BFD Preset
http://www.brainfevermedia.com/music/Pe ... music.bfd2

The toms in this set are amazing. If you watch Neil play, a large percentage of his hits are intentional rimshots, so the rim articulations are what make this kit awesome.

Enjoy!
Jim Grote
http://BrainFeverMusic.com
Last edited by jamesgrote on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That sounds great Jim!!! Thanks for the preset too. :D

Nice song! And I must say that those drums sound nice! :D

Reverend Rhythm wrote:Nice song! And I must say that those drums sound nice! :D
Very cool! I think if his snare as having a bit more snap and a less hollow sound, but I was listening over crappy computer speakers, so I may be totally off.

jeffn1
To Hear Original Instrumental "Progtronic Rock" Music, go to:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0rPidJwBYGmKZFUV4joAKN

Thanks for the comments!
Yes, I agree Neil's snare should have a hard thwack sound to it, which is what I was going for. If you watch him play (e.g. Snakes and Arrows Live), almost every snare hit is a rimshot, so I used mostly rimshots for the snare hits. Otherwise, it would sound even less snappy than what you're hearing in my demo.

Nice f**king time signatures! Holy shit! :shock:

Sounds great. Just saw the Rush doc, good timing. :D

This is a really nice preset; thanks!

I've been playing Sol Invictus a lot since yesterday. I really like this song. Did you program the drums by hand, play from an electronic kit, or use stock midi drum files? Just curious. I really like the choice of the other sounds in the song, too.

I really like this. Great job Jim (I am listening on headphones and love the drums and the whole mix) and thanks for sharing!

Squids, you should use this as a user demo at eSoundz! It rocks!

- eDrummist

Very nicely done! I agree, would make a great user demo on the site.

About "almost every hit being a rimshot" I find that true for a bunch of different players in different genres that get "that sound" for their snare hits. I was watching funk legend Clyde Stubblefield explain how he changed up his snare hits from the well-known ghost notes to the loud THWACK rimshottery, even using the latter to simply cut through live when the beat needed to be heard. I think that's what I like about some of the Drum Masters kits (the NDV Gretsch even has a ping-y ghost note at harder velocity which rules) too.

The drum track was played on a Korg padKONTROL, my current favorite finger-drum interface. Then I tweaked the midi, mostly to do round-robin alternating on hits, especially the ride. I love the sound of alternating ride hits so even a "bell" ride part has non-bell hits as the stick bounces around the cymbal.

Again, awesome job SR on the variety of hit positions, as opposed to just a million velocities on the exact same spot.

jamesgrote wrote:The drum track was played on a Korg padKONTROL, my current favorite finger-drum interface. Then I tweaked the midi, mostly to do round-robin alternating on hits, especially the ride. I love the sound of alternating ride hits so even a "bell" ride part has non-bell hits as the stick bounces around the cymbal.

Again, awesome job SR on the variety of hit positions, as opposed to just a million velocities on the exact same spot.

Jim, thanks for confirming that you played with a drum pad. All of us at the office swore up and down it was vdrums with the way the rolls sounded. I'm sure a few guys around here will lay into me because we "assumed" it was vdrums. Regardless, sounds great and I am glad you are happy with it. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

Allen

eSoundz Support

James,

It's been a couple of years since your post in this thread, so connecting with you is a long shot, but here goes...

I'm new to BFD2 and recently purchased the Sonic Reality Peart kit. Like many people, I'm struggling with the low volume issues. The workarounds that Ashley suggest seem to help the problem, and I am grateful for that help.

The FXPansion kits sound great with the out of the box presets, and I guess I expected the same (or more) from the SR NP kit.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot from studying other kit and mixer presets, but the link to yours above no longer works. Is that preset still available?

Are there any others in the forum who could send or post some presets? I'd learn a lot and would be really grateful.

Thank you!

Jeff

----------------------------+
Alesis DM8 Pro, extremely modded.
DW9000 pedal
Pork Pie throne

Hi Jeff,

Have you tried adjusting the artic trim per articulation in the Kit Piece Inspector? This should give you enough gain range to boost low cymbals. I think I mentioned a while back that you can also put a tweaks.txt file in the kit piece folder. This is what I wrote if memory serves...

Additionally the user can add a tweaks.txt file to the kit piece folder(s) located in their data/content location to raise or lower the gain of said kit piece by writing the following...

# BFD Kit piece tweaks

Gain = +3.000 dB

**Note, the gain amount is just an example."
Ashley Smith
CEO - MIX IT IN THE BOX
www.mixititb.com | www.seattleunderground.co.uk
Sound Engineer/Producer/Musician/Audio and Media Content Creator

Please you can upload the file again.
Thanks

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”