what about a dedicated non-linear reverb (gate reverb, reverse gate, etc...)

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

After opening a same topic on the effect subforum, i was still curious of having a feedback on that peculiar topic by an experienced developers, so i manage to dig into the subject here

This just for my guidance, but what would be critical points for the hypothetical creation of a dedicated non-linear reverb focused on gate reverb and reverse gate effects following these specifications : tempo-synced duration and pre-delay, handling of continuous tempo-change (acceleration and deceleration) without neither glitches nor pitch detune effect (up during acceleration or down during desceleration)

There is a few issue i can assume, like for instance the change of density of the effect if based on a fixed number of taps (like in übermod) that can quickly make such effect unusable on too big tempo differences using the same preset's settings.
Also I don't know what would be the interest in the market of a gate reverb/reverse gate that can adapt its length in real-time during tempo-change, but i just thought it won't cost much to ask and see if it make sense

:oops:

As far as changing tempo without glitches...it's doable, but it would be a LOT of cycles spent on getting things to be glitchless. If you want the density to be constant, the only way to do this would to be have a fixed spacing between the taps, with diffusion filling in the holes, and then fade taps in and out if needed. This would work, but this would require spending most of the cycle count (or CPUsage) on taps that you won't hear at 128 bpm. You could set up a tempo range that is expected, but just remember that having a fixed tap density per second will require 2X the taps at 64 bpm versus 128 bpm.

My super cynical perspective: most folks that would be using tempo synced gated reverbs won't be changing the tempo all that much. I'm happy to hear that you are creating music where the tempo varies, but most songs and genres of music that use tempo-synced delays and reverbs have a fairly fixed tempo.

From the Valhalla-centered perspective, I think that a dedicated non-lin plugin would have too much overlap with the existing plugins. ValhallaÜberMod already does tempo synced nonlin reverbs (be sure to turn on the diffusion to smooth things out), and VintageVerb has more old-school nonlin reverbs. Both of these have a fixed number of taps at all times, so going from a really short gate to a really long one invokes the risk of getting a sparse reverb for long gates.

Sean Costello

indeed, without the need to be super-cynical the fact is that it is rare to hear sequenced music using continuous tempo changes

Thanks for the detailed answer anyway, having your enlightenment was the main purpose for this thread, don't worry...

:)

Return to “Valhalla DSP”