MIX CHALLENGE - MC18 February 2016 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
epiphaneia
KVRian
601 posts since 29 May, 2011 from Germany

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Hello everyone,

first of all, thanks to everyone who participated, I hope you enjoyed working on that song. Also, I would like to apologize for my belated feedback, I´ve been super busy at work recently. Fortunately, the general quality of all the mixes is pretty good, so I won´t have to fear treading on thin ice with my feedback 8)

Therefore, without further ado:

1 ) 3ee:
The bass drum seems a tad loud, while the bass line is barely audible; the guitar could use a bit more power. Apart from these, good work!

2 ) bc99:
Well balanced mix, I do, however, feel that it lacks a bit of power and sounds a bit... hmm... "tinny" (that´s possibly because of the „tiny speaker“ issue you mentioned?). Considering the innate quality of the mix, you´d surely benefit from better monitoring (a pair of good headphones maybe?).

3 ) Dave McIsaac:
The mix itself is -unsurprisingly- well balanced and captures the general vibe of the song well. It is, however, to my aging ears, quite a bit overcompressed and contains *too much* dirt (yes, that is possible) on the sum, while at least to me, it might be more favorable to insert a controlled amount of dirt into an otherwise technically clean mix.

4 ) Davias:
An EBM-style mix from Belgium, not a huge surprise that this one turned out well. My only niggle is that the „neon sun“-sample in the chorus seems a bit loud, and could use a bit of filtering/EQing to turn down the synth-pad bit and focus the vocoded vocal. Otherwise, fine work!

5 ) electricthing:
The mix is generally finely balanced and well-EQd (which must have been quite a bit of work), the latter of which is my personal huge weakness. The snare seems a bit loud and tinny to me, the arp seems just a little bit on the loud side, and the guitar could sound more aggressive.

6 ) gamma-ut:
Quite a bit of on-top creativity and added interest in here!
The guitar treatment is very interestingly done (thank god I read the release notes, for otherwise I wouldn´t have had a clue how you did that), but I´m not entirely convinced it suits the style of the song too well; personally, I´d prefer a conventional distorted guitar sound. The high string and the „neon sun“ vocal seem a bit on the loud side.

7 ) ichad.c:
Largely well balanced mix, that would benefit from a bit of extra oomph, especially on the guitar and the bass drum.

8 ) kolyev:
The bass drum is a bit /too/ dominant, while the bass line seems a bit low in contrast. The guitar has fine bite. Overall, good work.

9 ) maurogblanco:
Well done mix, that just seems to lack a bit of power in the rhythm section - the rhythm seems largely focused on the loop (which might be a bit tiring to the listener sooner or later), while the 4/4 "stomp" is relatively silent, which is something I´d personally reverse (loop in the background, 4/4 kick a bit louder) for the dancefloor.

10 ) photonic:
The bass drum seems to lack power. Apart from that, very well done; well-balanced mix, creative transitions and added effects-based interest.

11 ) vasdim:
A solid mix, even though the feel is quite unlike what I would have expected. The beat however sounds a bit… off to me, and I´d very much have prefered a "regular" guitar sound to the harmonized one. Interesting, however, how a few effects can change the feel of a song nearly completely, hence extra points for creativity.

===
I´d like to welcome the following participants to the second round:

Davias
photonic
3ee
electricthing
Maurogblanco

Thanks again!
epiphaneia

Compyfox
KVRAF
14279 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC18 February 2016 - Mix Round 2 until Friday, 04-03-2016, 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Thank you for the evaluation.
Let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Friday, 04-03-2016 at 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

The following participants will go into Round 2:
- 3ee
- Davias
- electricthing
- Maurogblanco
- photonic

Best of luck!
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

photonic
KVRian
532 posts since 5 Mar, 2011 from Austria

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC18 February 2016 - Mix Round 2 until Friday, 04-03-2016, 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:37 am

Hi all,

Glad to reached the second round!
I boosted the sound of the drums in general and increased the level of the kick as mentioned in the comment from epiphaneia.
So here is my second mix:

MP3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/717 ... ic_Rd2.mp3
WAV: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/717 ... ic_Rd2.wav

Good luck to all finalists!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

3ee
KVRAF
3668 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:44 am

I'm also happy to have reached the 2nd round! :)

"The bass drum seems a tad loud, while the bass line is barely audible; the guitar could use a bit more power. Apart from these, good work!"

My 1st reaction to this was: pff, bass drum, ok but the bass was too loud in your mix to begin with... but now after I've made those changes, it was clear that a simple volume slider won't give us the desired impression like in most cases + it's all relative for example; the bass seemed louder in contrast to lowering the kick and then some more after some stereo enhancements... not to mention even more after some EQ boost around 140Hz for some fullness and finally volume slider...

MP3: https://app.box.com/s/7cdha6vcfzmy7bz7cdydun69zb1c14ko
WAV: https://app.box.com/s/5yq0vtrvs6tbct5x5x05z7l1o6fl8k8l

Good luck!

epiphaneia
KVRian

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:24 am

3ee wrote:I'm also happy to have reached the 2nd round! :)
"The bass drum seems a tad loud, while the bass line is barely audible; the guitar could use a bit more power. Apart from these, good work!"
My 1st reaction to this was: pff, bass drum, ok but the bass was too loud in your mix to begin with... but now after I've made those changes, it was clear that a simple volume slider won't give us the desired impression like in most cases!
I didn´t say the rough mix I put on soundcloud was good :D
"Audible" is indeed not necessarily a matter of sheer volume, in the mix I put online as a guide track, I had the problem that the mix was already very boomy, but the bass line lacked contour, it was more of "there is bass" than "there is the traditional 16th EBM style bassline". What I did later was to add a ton of (transient + high eq + distortion) for a bit of extra oldschool EBM bassline feel. There´s probably better solutions, that´s why I am here and curious :phones:

Compyfox
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Friendly reminder:
Less than 24hours left to submit your overhauled mix for Mix Round 2.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

electricthing
KVRist
312 posts since 5 Aug, 2011 from Nederland

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:56 am

Happy to have reached the 2nd round.

I thought I only had 1 or 2 minor tweaks to finish today after having worked on it this week already but I could not get the second round of the mix right.
Compared to the first one the clarity was gone.
So I started over today. And it went fast.

I compressed the volume automation on snare and synth-arp.
I tried to make the snare less tinny but it was hard for it made the mix loose clarity. I did not know how to get it back in another way; so it is a little tweak.
Roughed up the guitar a bit without loosing the eq it has in the mix.

On the 2bus I used a few notches to clean up. And also a bit of M/S eq for some more focus. HPF on the sides, not too high to weaken the guitar, and a 5k HS boost on the sides (0.5 db) and a 5k HS cut on the mids (0.3db).

Good luck to all.

https://soundcloud.com/electricthing/ep ... ound-2-wav

https://soundcloud.com/electricthing/ep ... ound-2-mp3

maurogblanco
KVRer
4 posts since 19 Jan, 2016

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:02 pm

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
So glad I made it to the second round!
Here are the new mixes!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ogt03nca9ho8 ... c9VKa?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ogt03nca9ho88z8/AAAKzb9u0kjS898Rob2yc9VKa?dl=0)

Thanks

Davias
KVRian
763 posts since 3 Apr, 2013 from Belgium

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:40 pm

Thank you for selecting me to the 2nd round ^^

Here is my mix,

[MP3]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ocramvj9rcsr ... 2.mp3?dl=0

[FLAC]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbe36hoyi139u ... .flac?dl=0

Very honored to be associated with the sound of Belgium ^^ even if I'm from there it is the first time someone made me the compliment ;)
Although my aim was more toward israeli psy-trance, with Skazi, Dark Soho, Infected Mushroom as inspiration :) When I first heard the track, I directly thought that all elements for that genre were there :)

Here are the more technical details about the mix, sorry I'm always late to post it...
notable elements are :
- Kick : I used a filter to make it Goa-like :)
- Clap : I used a reverb, EQ and compression to make spanky old-school trance clap :)
- bass : I sidechained with the kick to make that fast bass-kick pumping from psytrance
- drum loop : Eq and compression, gating then I edited the volume to lower the piercing metallic percussions.
- radio fx vox : Eq and adding a delay in sync with the first beat for that hypnotic effect
- crash cymbals : I added some lenghty white noise tail with a reverb
- Arp : added harmonics, and boosted the highs, eq
- guitar : some eq to make it fit into the mix
- neon sun vox : compression and eq
- high hats : some eq and adjusting volume

all tracks : ssl emu
drum buss : db160 like compression
music buss : light sidechainning with the kick
mix buss : analog emu (charly)

What I changed for round 2 :
- Mix Buss : Added half a dB compression
- Clap : a small volume up
- Drum Loop : softened the highs with a tape sim, added a little ambiance reverb, then
- volume cranked up a bit. Finally bringing back in the front the metallic percussion that I buried too deep into the mix...
- Chorus Voice : EQing to make the vocals predominant over the pad, removed some weight from the pad too, and volume cranked up
- Guitar : Control of the highs, cleaned a little dirt in the ultra highs
- Arp : cranked up the volume and added clarity and weight

I hope I didn't overdo it like always :D Good luck to all for round 2 ^^
Last edited by Davias on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Compyfox
KVRAF

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC18 February 2016 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Looks like all Mix Round 2 mixes are in, we're now going into the final evaluation.
Thanks for your participation.

Please check once more that your files are properly accessible.
And as usual, please have an eye on this thread for the Winners Podium announcement.

dadayance
KVRer
4 posts since 6 Mar, 2016

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:00 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello everyone!
Better late than never:)
Here is my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UtR7 ... sp=sharing (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UtR7usY7FZc25fekpVeDh6T1U/view?usp=sharing)

epiphaneia
KVRian

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:07 am

Hello everyone,

… and thanks again for your continued participation. It was anything but easy to pick the top three mixes, as I really liked all five final contributions (different from each other as they were, they all have their distinctive qualities), therefore it was a very tight race, and it´s a matter of personal taste after all! So, once more without further ado:

1) 3ee: I still think the kick is a bit boomy (and I already have relatively small monitor speakers), to me it sounds /just right/ when I turn down the EQ a bit around the frequencies that you boosted. Then, however, it sounds /just right/.

2) Davias: Proven successfully that EBM and techno are more than just distant cousins. I still find the vocoder sample a bit loud, but I am very impressed with the overall result and that you managed to take the track into a rather different direction while staying true to the original.

3) electricthing: Well balanced mix across the whole spectrum, less "loudness-orientated" than the other contributions, if at times a bit too heavy on the mid frequencies for a club track.

4) maurogblanco: Well balanced mix with the right amount of "oomph", can´t find anything to fault here.

5) photonic: Again, bonus points for creativity, and now with just the right amount of bass. Fine job!

And here´s my personal top 3:
Ranking first is... Davias
Ranking second... photonic
Ranking third... 3ee
... with two more very good entries in the field though.

Thanks again for participating, I hope you enjoyed the work, I surely enjoyed the results! :phones:

Compyfox
KVRAF

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC18 February 2016 - Winners announced

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks for the evaluation, epiphaneia.
And once more a huge thank you to all participants.

The winners podium is:
1) Davias
2) photonic
3) 3ee

You know the drill by now - please select your reward, mention it in this thread, then please get in touch with satYatunes

Then the usual usual:
- Mix Challenge 19 is still running.
- and we're still (constantly!) looking for new content to mix. So please get in touch

3ee
KVRAF
3668 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Hey, many thanks for picking me as one of the winners... and congrats to the others as well! :tu: :)

had a listen to my entry and indeed it feels bass heavy (kick is the main culprit).... I'm working on upgrading my acoustic treatment with some corner super-chunks (again, thanks Compy for talking me into it! :tu: ) so that I guess will help me better judge low end next time, can't wait to finish the project! :hyper:

photonic
KVRian
532 posts since 5 Mar, 2011 from Austria

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:16 am

Congratulation Davias :party: :clap:
And also too 3ee for the third place!

I am happy to reached second place and I am glad that I could improve the mix in they way you mentioned. Thank you very much epiphaneia!

For the prize, I will forward to 3ee. I allready have everything from the pool which I can use.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Return to “Production Techniques”