So, I installed Mac OS Sierra ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First thing i do on a fresh Windows system is to change the setting in the file explorer to show the file extensions, because those are hidden per default to the user, because i need to see with which kind of files i'm dealing with. Must be my bias as a "tech person". ;)

chk071 wrote:First thing i do on a fresh Windows system is to change the setting in the file explorer to show the file extensions, because those are hidden per default to the user, because i need to see with which kind of files i'm dealing with. Must be my bias as a "tech person". ;)
Yes, it is. Which ones do you need to see and why? Only registered types are hidden. I don't know why you wouldn't know which kind of files they are because registered types have ways of showing you what they are (icons, context menu content, Properties panel, Explorer's various accoutrements). However, as a tech person with decades of experience with Windows, I make this same setting change myself because the so-called simplification of file names is badly done. Hiding the brittle complexity from the user isn't a solution; it's a complication. Replacing the frail complexity with a robust and transparent system is the correct solution. I really don't have this problem on my Mac, and I didn't have it on my BeOS installations.

The Windows environment depends on file extensions or things don't work and users are brutalized into paying attention to them as they become more experienced with that environment. If this is the kind of computer you developed your computer skills with, this explains why you think the way you do about computers. You've been indoctrinated into a mindset by a system that demands it of you (or demands you pay someone else who has the skills). I was the same until I discovered BeOS. I realized my perspective was wrong. I was a tech geek that wanted everyone to think like me. Now I'm a "born again user" :-) It made me an excellent tech support person to go through this perspective shift.

File extensions are an archaic and simplistic design choice that was abandoned (or never even used) by other systems as soon as they had file systems (and GUIs) that could support more robust file identification methods that are transparent to users. Microsoft seems to be stuck keeping it forever. They may have eventually changed what's POSSIBLE in Windows, but they haven't let go of the legacy that requires us to continue to obsess over these details as tech people using their OS (drive letters are another one just like this; you can have volumes that don't have drive letters, but good luck with that in actual practice).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

TheoM wrote:i've been reading over at PT forums that sierra is the most amazing mac os since snow leopard and then mavericks.. Can't wait.. i might even zero day this one, which i have never done
Why would it be so amazing for audio? I know El Cap has graphics enhancements that do seem to benefit some apps. Does Sierra have even more enhancements?

Just got a mail from Plugin Alliance stating "serious problems with many Plugin Alliance products" so beware.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Yeah, most of their audio units are broken on Sierra. I guess they should have updated installers out soon enough after the official launch.
Image Image Image Image

woodsdenis wrote:Just got a mail from Plugin Alliance stating "serious problems with many Plugin Alliance products" so beware.
I think the issues are for AU.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Apple did it again.... :hihi:
I think i stay now on mavericks a while.
I said a few posts before i'm looking forward.
Funny, then i crashed my system so bad that i had to recover it with mavericks (from El Capitan).
I miss a few features from Yosemite and El Capitan but i will wait until Sierra is save and/or they finally put out their freaking new macbook pro (with or without headphone jack).
I need a faster machine.

Shit, Plugin Alliance just ruined my day. And some more detailed information would have been nice... which of their plugins are currently not working with Sierra? BTW, the beta version of the OS has been available for 3 months so why didn't they start to work on this earlier?

Dear NI user,

After intensive testing and close collaboration with Apple, we’re happy to report full compatibility and highly stable audio performance with all of our current-generation hardware and macOS Sierra.

However, the following discontinued devices will not be supported on macOS Sierra, or future versions of macOS.:

TRAKTOR:

First generations of TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 and TRAKTOR AUDIO 2

And:

TRAKTOR AUDIO 8 DJ
TRAKTOR AUDIO 4 DJ
TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 DJ

KOMPLETE:

AUDIO KONTROL 1
GUITAR RIG MOBILE I/O
GUITAR RIG SESSION I/O
RIG KONTROL 2
RIG KONTROL 3
KORE Controller
KORE 2 Controller

MASCHINE hardware (all generations) is not affected.

If you own any of the above devices, we recommend that you continue to use them on your current OSX version. Please understand that since these devices are no longer supported by NI, we cannot guarantee performance or compatibility with macOS Sierra, or future versions of macOS.

To find out more, read this Knowledge Base article.

Best regards from Berlin,

The Native Instruments team
They are on the ball
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Updated to Sierra and all my plugins work fine.
Soundtoys
U-he
Valhalla
Sonalksis
Loomer
Sinevibes
Xfer
Boz Digital
Plus several others working fine.
Just Plugin Alliance and IK CS rack don't seem to pass validation.
I don't use the IK stuff much anyway. The one Plugin Alliance that I do miss because I use it a lot is VSM-3.
Considering the beta has been out for some time, I don't see why developers can't get it sorted.
:shrug:

Are you running an old version of the IK plugs? The current versions validated fine here in LP9 (32-bit and 64-bit).
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote:Are you running an old version of the IK plugs? The current versions validated fine here in LP9 (32-bit and 64-bit).
I think they are up to date. It's only the CS Rack that didn't validate the other IK plugins did. I'll try again later :)

perhaps we could have common list from all companies...
from emails/fb/forums etc I've received , Ive got the following:

Access Virus TI- incompatible
Elektron Overbridge - incompatible
Steinberg - unsupported, under testing
Ableton - ok
Bitwig - incompatible
Plugin Alliance - incompatible
NI - ok, except older and now unsupported controllers

but seems lots of companies have not made a statement on compatibly still, but I guess its was officially only released yesterday.

seems if you have more than a few bits of software/hardware , something is likely to not be working...

O.k. since i missed a few features i couldn't´t wait (as usual).
For me everything works fine but i don´t use a ton of plug-ins.
But since i updated to Sierra my Macbook Pro (late 2013) get really fast warm, even when i do nothing. I do not like that!
I also see in the setting/security that there is a thing missing now about installing apps.
Before there were 3 options. Now the option to install from everything is gone?
Sine i had to use this for a few things i hope this doesn't´t make problems.
However, i have a bit mixed feelings here.
Maybe i go back to Yosemite.

Lazylefteye wrote:
sprnva wrote:Are you running an old version of the IK plugs? The current versions validated fine here in LP9 (32-bit and 64-bit).
I think they are up to date. It's only the CS Rack that didn't validate the other IK plugins did. I'll try again later :)
Just tried again and CS rack validated ok.
So it's just the PA plugins that failed, with the exception of Indent which was ok :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”