Logic Pro X 10.3 and GarageBand Updates out today

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GarageBand Logic Pro

LFO8 wrote:
mholloway wrote: also:

"Render any combination of effect plug-ins to a selection of audio using Selection-based Processing."

This freaking RULES.

-M

Everyone is raving about this, but I fail to see how this is any different than setting up you channel strip with fx and bouncing your marqee selection in place :?
What if you want to put different sets of effects on different regions on the same track?

LFO8 wrote:
mholloway wrote: also:

"Render any combination of effect plug-ins to a selection of audio using Selection-based Processing."

This freaking RULES.

-M

Everyone is raving about this, but I fail to see how this is any different than setting up you channel strip with fx and bouncing your marqee selection in place :?
I thought more or less the same thing, versus in other DAWs such as S1 or Reaper, for example, where you can add / remove an effect to an event the same as you would add it to an entire track, but there you do not have to render it.

In LPX, not having to render it would mean doing an automaton bypass of the effect for everything other than that region. But having to render it just in order to add an effect to it just seems more like regular bouncing—excepting that the FX is or course only affecting that region, which is nice... unless I'm missing something. Can it be just added to the region without rendering (and also removed from)?

macmuse wrote:Can it be just added to the region without rendering (and also removed from)?
Nope. I see now that I guess it could be very useful for the guys who do their audio editing in the DAW. Things like de-essing, removing plosives, quick delay or reverb on the last syllable of a phrase etc.

jacqueslacouth wrote:
samsam wrote:Phenomenal update.

Unfortunately my iMac broke last weekend and there are currently zero Apple desktops I'd buy.

6 months I'm prepared to survive with just a laptop and if no new desktop by June it'll be bye bye to Apple/Logic for me.
And 2 weeks later you will be regretting it...
No doubt I'd miss Apple and Logic, I like using both but if I have to make the move 'cos the company doesn't make what I need then time to move on.

Of course, fingers crossed there's a lovely new iMac out next month to match the great software :-)

Adding features that emulates what Samplitude has had for 20 years. :hihi:

I DO like Alchemy though...

F
Don't ask me, I just play here.

siriusbliss wrote:Adding features that emulates what Samplitude has had for 20 years. :hihi:

I DO like Alchemy though...

F
And Pro Tools' AudioSuite...

Its almost as if they were targeting users with features they were used to in other DAWs. :o

How is that a bad thing? People keep asking for companies to add features they should have implemented for a long time because eeeeverybody else has it, too.. and when they do, it's not good enough for you guys because it's taken too long to get there.

Chill out, be happy for us logic users.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Yes, and Logic has things like years other DAW's doesn't....like Sculpture, Delay Designer, Space Designer and much other stuff.
Sure, no DAW is perfect.
But for the price tag Logic seems still the best thing out there i could imagine :P
So maybe people are frustrated with overpriced upgrades and subscriptions models :hihi:

v1o wrote:The flat functional design trend didn't come from the corporates. It's a movement that originated in the design community - the same people who design fonts and street signs - people like Dieter Ram etc. It's nothing to do with trying to make money, it's about making things more legible, easier to understand and use.
So why are flat designs resulting in worse legibility and being found as harder to understand and use? Check my links in earlier posts; this was studied.
v1o wrote:There is no functional reason to try and simulate 3D graphics in a computer UI or to make things pretty for the sake of being pretty whilst harming usability.
Yes there is:

1. So people who aren't inculcated into the usage of every piece of software can figure out how to operate software.

2. So people can distinguish between objects on a screen.

It doesn't have to be ridiculously ornate, but there needs to be at least basic things like contrast and subtle bevels around, or icons inside controls. Many touch/click targets are ridiculously tiny on flat GUIs.
v1o wrote: If you look at street signs they have completely flat designs which is what makes them easy to read even for people with poor eye sight or people from different cultures and languages.
Street signs exist in the real world, are made of physical materials with reflective surfaces, and are for distance viewing, in a world already full of depth, detail, and contrasts, which respond to lighting.

GUIs are up-close viewing, in a 2-dimensional environment totally lacking depth, where objects only have as much detail as developers give them, often on an LCD where color calibration is problematic, and brightness changes to suit the lighting (subject to glare) from outside of the device. Those last two, color and brightness, vary based on LCD view angle. The more subtle the difference between shades and tones on an LCD, the less guarantee of consistent distinctiveness between tones under different brightness settings, and from device to device.

There's a lot of difference between the usage contexts of each. There is no logical reason to design GUIs based on the wrong material analogy (just like Jony Ive choosing the print medium as the model for iOS 7).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I like the new UI - better definition. You can change the contrast of the track section, but nothing else, which is a bit of a shame. The instrument column could use a little more contrast, but I do like it better.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
matamoris wrote:Hmmm, I don't know what to think about the new UI. I like flat, but this looks kinda un-pro.
I hate flat. This is enraging me. Apple's taste in design has turned from the arguably best to the absolute worst. And seeing how excruciatingly long we have had to wait for updates to Logic (pro users and content creators being utterly unimportant to current Apple executives), it'll take forever for this crap to be undone whenever someone new comes to power at Apple and changes the aesthetic direction back away from low-effort, amateur, flat and low-contrast garbage.
the reason for this color set is also the characteristics of the new retina displays on imac line. on dark bacgrounds in logic there used to be some ghosting visible (on some machines and specific conditions) now there isn't ;)

I don't like it. I have to have it now, as I also updated Logic Remote, which only works with 10.3. :tantrum:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I just noticed the I/O plugin got an update.

This really makes outboard effects a lot easier to use, when you don't want them full wet. Excellent!

Is it normal that I can't create a midi clip with force-click anymore?

Logic 10.3.1 has been released.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”