Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

chk071 wrote:Well, it will be obsolete in 3 years, at the latest.
That would be really sad, and bad for business too.

Are people going to abandon a fully working computer and buy a new one, to be able to upgrade to latest version of tools - because vendor drop support?
Most likely some will, but biggest part will hold back on upgrade.

And people chosing a new product, they will select among vendors that do support the OS they run. So again bad for business.

I looked a couple of months ago to get another computer, starting working with video - and maybe need more juice.

90% of models available on computer are delivered still with Windows 7 preinstalled, and upgrade to Windows 10. About 5% with Windows 10, but also include a downgrade to Windows 7. And the rest combination with Windows 8.x.

I looked at Dell, HP, Asus and MSI computers with i7-something.

I think there is a reason - Windows 7 is popular and rather flawless.

I never read about so much issues with any Windows OS as Windows 10. How drivers needed upgrades, how even graphics drivers needed downgrades because a os update screwed machine up, how plugins suddenly stopped working after an os update. And some early W10 version screwed up authorization tools like PACE iLok, some years back.

And on top of it all - with Windows 10 you are not in charge of your own computer anymore. You cannot turn off windows updates, as I understand it, and do updates when you feel like it - or did MS have to back off that approach?

All these security updates creates more problems than any virus did, looking at windows 10. You don't want an ever-changing machine - if it works, don't fix it.

There are Windows OS that you simply don't want - Vista, windows 8.x(Vista 2) and Windows 10(Vista 3). I helped some people install software on a W8 machine, and what a screwup that interface was - I had to look in manuals and help to figure out how to do the simplest things. Start menu took like 10s to even open, they were created as you choose start menu. What you normally could do with a rightclick, like create a shortcut on desktop, you needed to open if it was Explorer to do that.

When I cannot use tools I want on windows 7, I simply hold back and don't buy more upgrades for them. W7 is my end-station. But I think I am safe another 5-7 years. And buy a new W7 computer and fill it with tools I need by then - getting the latest technology available.

Using PC since 80's, and a few times did upgrades for MSDOS. But since then hardware developed so much, and OS upgrades were silly to do, partly because pricetag - compared to buying a new computer. New OS equaled more memory needed to even start up, that might exceed what your machine could use. So I did MB upgrades a few times too.

I think maybe 60-70% of people today don't even run PC anymore, they are good with what pads and smartphones do for them. So stationary computer powerful enough to do daw and video work are staying up in price - since production volumes don't increase anymore.

Hallelujuah. Now let's get back to the topic, shall we? :P

lfm wrote:There are Windows OS that you simply don't want - Vista, windows 8.x(Vista 2) and Windows 10(Vista 3).
This is so wrong it is laughable. W10 is nowhere near Vista as far as horribleness! That was Windows ME (remember that abomination?).
lfm wrote:What you normally could do with a rightclick, like create a shortcut on desktop, you needed to open if it was Explorer to do that.
Again wrong. You can simply create a shortcut by dragging stuff to desktop... just like in every previous Windows version since W95...

W10 is honestly better and faster than W7 ever was. 10 seconds for start menu? It's instant here. Not to mention a lot of other things you mention simply aren't true, or were perhaps true in the very first W10 release - everything is smooth sailing for over half a year here. Anniversary Edition runs great.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:Hallelujuah. Now let's get back to the topic, shall we? :P
But we are only halfway there ...........what about the legacy license fiasco :x :roll: :hihi:
Last edited by LoopyFruit on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAAAAAAAAH!!! :hihi:

I'm sure Steinberg will work that out also. :) Call me a hopeless optimist, apologist, idiot, or whatever curse words i usually get for keeping a positive attitude towards the businesses.

c_voltage wrote:Well, the only thing, frankly to say, i'm still not sure - which type of H6 license will better - through usual e-licenser (as H5), or via new software method ? Who what choosed ? Or - anyone choosed old hardware method for H6? Or all chose mainly software method ? :lol:
thats out of question if you upgrading from H5 to H6 , because the H5 license gots overwritten (upgraded) on the dongle as it is / was dongle license . and at this time there are also no way moving licenses from usb licenser to soft licenser .

only people which buying H6 completly new can activate the license on the soft licenser .

aMUSEd wrote:Fab I hope I hear something today - been 11 days now since my first support request.
as i said it has takes just one day here via mysteinberg.net support request . but it can be due too that i live in the same country as steinberg comes from .

hopefully it will be resolved for you soon .

I know I should just keep my mouth shut but I can't.

See, everybody here who supported Steinberg's decision NOT to support Windows 7 and gave everybody else here a hard time who said it was a stupid mistake, even Steinberg finally agreed that Windows 7 should be supported.

Defend companies all you want. But sometimes they're just plain wrong.

But this is the typical KVR mentality. Company X decides to do Y, which is clearly the stupidest thing they could possibly want to do, and all the "we'll defend Company X kool aid drinkers" come out bashing everybody who says what knuckleheads Company X is for doing Y.

One thing I can always count on here is that this mentality will never change.

Thank you for at least being consistent.

DrumAddict wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Fab I hope I hear something today - been 11 days now since my first support request.
as i said it has takes just one day here via mysteinberg.net support request . but it can be due too that i live in the same country as steinberg comes from .

hopefully it will be resolved for you soon .
Maybe I've been doing something wrong in putting this in as a standard mysteinberg.net support request, is there a specific form perhaps?

i've not good memories of steinberg support.... Halion 6 is interesting but somehow i dont like steinberg much. padshop pro has still the same issue i guess with creating WAV duplicates on C: without letting you know and trashing your C: with data.
reminds me of Izotope service :D new versions sold as upgrades! lol
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

wagtunes wrote:I know I should just keep my mouth shut but I can't.

See, everybody here who supported Steinberg's decision NOT to support Windows 7 and gave everybody else here a hard time who said it was a stupid mistake, even Steinberg finally agreed that Windows 7 should be supported.

Defend companies all you want. But sometimes they're just plain wrong.

But this is the typical KVR mentality. Company X decides to do Y, which is clearly the stupidest thing they could possibly want to do, and all the "we'll defend Company X kool aid drinkers" come out bashing everybody who says what knuckleheads Company X is for doing Y.

One thing I can always count on here is that this mentality will never change.

Thank you for at least being consistent.
FWIW, i never said that Steinberg shouldn't support Windows 7 (actually i argued that they should). It is just that everyone can decide for himself, whether to buy or not. There are a lot of alternatives to Halion. You don't have to buy it. And that's basically the only thing that will ultimately matter to Steinberg. Whethter it makes sens to support a OS which a lot of people still use, or, to not support it, thus maybe live with less potential customers. Cost/payoff consideration. What is a sea of tears in a forum worth, if noone reads it anyway?

aMUSEd wrote:Maybe I've been doing something wrong in putting this in as a standard mysteinberg.net support request, is there a specific form perhaps?
if have done this also with normal support request .

https://www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinber ... ducts.html

on my account:

Create support request / Registration, activation or licensing issue

with the Subject "HALion 5 Add-on license"

and written the problem that i need it back due to some projects which uses older versions . etc etc

so nothing special i have done over there . as i said hopefully it gets resolved soon for you .

EvilDragon wrote:
lfm wrote:There are Windows OS that you simply don't want - Vista, windows 8.x(Vista 2) and Windows 10(Vista 3).
This is so wrong it is laughable. W10 is nowhere near Vista as far as horribleness! That was Windows ME (remember that abomination?).
You are easily amused, it seems - good for you.

I did not read about updates for windows vista screwed system up for software already installed like I read about - almost daily - for w10. Last years most of new on Steinberg site has been about this and that now compatible with w10 - wtf is that.

It's the huge amount of such incidents that make me wonder about w10 - it's beyond horrible.

Part of vista horrible was probably the overly active uac, having to respond to popup confirmation everything you did.
lfm wrote:What you normally could do with a rightclick, like create a shortcut on desktop, you needed to open if it was Explorer to do that.
Again wrong. You can simply create a shortcut by dragging stuff to desktop... just like in every previous Windows version since W95...

W10 is honestly better and faster than W7 ever was. 10 seconds for start menu? It's instant here. Not to mention a lot of other things you mention simply aren't true, or were perhaps true in the very first W10 release - everything is smooth sailing for over half a year here. Anniversary Edition runs great.
It was w8.x machine, a i5 lenovo laptop in this case, cheapo I'm sure, you could not rightclick start menu as before - Send to desktop as shortcut thingy.
No idea if MS fixed until now on W10 though - comment was about how I felt about w8.
And not until I found a checkbox somewhere could I make menu permanent once built.
Suddenly desktop was filled with something sliding in from the right, if this was all apps or something - I did not ask for that either.

If w10 is faster and smoother, that is good. It just does not weigh up for it's not me making decisions anymore about my computer - that is outrageous in my view.

I even had some strange things with last updates on w7 - windows experience index is not available suddenly. No idea what happend. Running it presents a blank strange screen - this was updates horror lite at least.

So MS updates do create more problems for people - probably more than it solves - and yet they force it on people.

When I check for updates on w7 - about monthly - I see to that nothing other needs to be done that day, so I can cure any problems that arise.

lfm wrote: I did not read about updates for windows vista screwed system up for software already installed like I read about - almost daily - for w10.
Funny that it doesn't screw up software i have installed here on a daily base... you are aware that that only affects software, which is old, and isn't compatible with the new Windows 10 updates anymore? E.g., it said i can't start my CCleaner Portable, so i had to update it to a newer version. Done that, and it works again now. Big deal. :shrug: Actually, it's amazing they even have some kind of database now, with software which isn't compatible with newer updates. In past Windows version, the software just didn't work, and you wouldn't know why, until you updated, and found out that it was the old version which f***ed up.

Not sure if you even mean that though.

Return to “Instruments”