Liquid Rhythm by WaveDNA. Opinions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Liquid Rhythm

I was slow to check this one out and just bought it yesterday. I'm pretty excited by what I've seen so far, and I've barely scratched the surface. I have not even opened the manual yet. I do know that this will be a very useful tool for inspiration, creativity, and building variations into my tracks. I plan to get a handle on it quickly. There is a stand-alone that makes it quick to pop it open and start working. It's all available as 64 bit, naturally, or I would have passed.

I know that at one point it would only work in 4/4 time. I honestly don't know yet whether that has changed. From their forum, there was a post from 2 1/2 years ago saying that they would work on that, and no replies since. Regardless, I think it's still worth the price, although if it still doesn't do other signatures, then it's not too encouraging as far as updates are concerned.

It seems a bit quirky when using it as an insert in Cubase. I think there are probably certain constraints put on it, as I "believe" that it uses Rewire to run within the DAW. I did manage to lock up Cubase using it last night, but I can't say specifically what I did to cause it.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

"Quirky" and hard to handle were my experiences (so I have just given up though the possibilities are great if you invest the needed time). Dont know if it has something to do with your crash in Cubase but in Tracktion it was not even possible to render the track cause while trying to render it things this will be a second instance and that is not possible (only one vst-instance per project).

I must say I stopped updating after a while (cause that was a pain in ... too) and had only the light version so maybe problems solved now but main focus (like with the new product) seems max for life versions I think.

But just a snapshot of someone who did not get used to it, so hope you will get a lot of more helpful hints from people wha had managed it.

I get what you were saying about rendering tracks and instances. I dragged a midi file to my DAW from it and got that message. I ended up using Cubase to just dissolve the midi track into individual parts. Each of those would have to be sent to whatever instrument I would be using. Most likely I'll use sounds from something else, like BFD3 or Superior 2.

Then again, I barely know anything yet, so there may be some better ways to do things.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

I tried it at least once and it was very buggy. It is included in their Liquid Music product which just had an update, but I do not know if Liquid Rhythm was updated separately.

Here is the press release for Liquid Music:
https://www.wavedna.com/wavedna-release ... ic-v1-6-2/

It looks like the last time Liquid Rhythm was updated was Nov 25, 2015 so it could be missing bug fixes
https://www.wavedna.com/liquid-rhythm/d ... t-version/

I have a feeling that they have abandoned Liquid Rhythm to focus on Liquid Music.

Thanks for sharing your insight, I was wondering how it could be offered at 80% off, makes me think twice about buying into it for sure.

I would go for it if I didn't own it already. Liquid Music contains the original Liquid Rhythm; this appears at first glance to be the old Rhythm only sw; I would check to see what the upgrade price is after you buy it if applicable. It's amazing sw, but it might require some acclimation time before you're used to it. Updates are a pain if you don't like uninstalling/reinstalling each time.
Just checked Wave DNA shop and you can upgrade to LM from LR for $69.99 ($30 off).
LM goes for 129 discounted from 199.
Last edited by Musical Gym on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musical Gym wrote:I would go for it if I didn't own it already. Liquid Music contains the original Liquid Rhythm; this appears at first glance to be the old Rhythm only sw; I would check to see what the upgrade price is after you buy it if applicable. It's amazing sw, but it might require some acclimation time before you're used to it. Updates are a pain if you don't like uninstalling/reinstalling each time.
Even if a user doesn't gel with the plug, can the 1GB lib be used as samples in a different host, like Kontakt or Geist?

I tried the demo at v1.x and it was pretty cool, but not the most intuitive thing IIRC. For $20, that just might be no-brainer territory...
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Edited above to show prices. Sorry, I don't know but dev can tell you if you contact him; you'll also find out whether he's responsive; I found him to be so for the most part.

I have it, and the VST certainly is buggy. The Max for Live device that come with it works MUCH MUCH BETTER, and even has a cool little clip generator option. I still mostly just "mouse in" my beats, as that's the way I've been doing it since I first bought Live but, it's a pretty cool little app for generating some quick ideas. If you don't have Ableton and M4L, I don't think you'd be all that happy with it

I actually use it. I am on Logic Pro. I use it to create rhythms that I drag/drop as midi into Logic to drive such things as DrumSpillage, Microtonic and the like. It works well for me that way. The UI works well because it's how I think about rhythms anyway. You can be as specific or organic as you want with it.

I got it for $40 and it was well worth that. Had I known about it when it was $100 or whatever I would have purchased it. for $20... pfft... no brainer - however - you have to be into the idea of creating rhythms graphically and delving into a user experience around that concept. I dont use it as a sound source plugin so I can't really comment on that aspect of it.

If you are willing to learn another symbolic language to create rhythms than I supposed this makes sense but basic percussion notation with some colour code attributes would be far more intuitive. Using it does not feel like a musical experience to me. I own it, paid $100 bucks for it. Worked with it and just didn't find that it was a good fit for me. I am not surprised it is being discounted so heavily. - Scotty

plexuss wrote:I actually use it. I am on Logic Pro. I use it to create rhythms that I drag/drop as midi into Logic to drive such things as DrumSpillage, Microtonic and the like. It works well for me that way. The UI works well because it's how I think about rhythms anyway. You can be as specific or organic as you want with it.

I got it for $40 and it was well worth that. Had I known about it when it was $100 or whatever I would have purchased it. for $20... pfft... no brainer - however - you have to be into the idea of creating rhythms graphically and delving into a user experience around that concept. I dont use it as a sound source plugin so I can't really comment on that aspect of it.

Small (or big in my case) issue: WaveDNA doesn't offer offline activation for its products.

Return to “Instruments”