Anyone jumped ship / switched DAW this year?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Instead of jumping ship I have just expanded the amount of DAWs I use. I find that each one has its own set of unique set of features. So I went form using just using Logic, to now using Cubase (great MID function), FL Studio (great using the way it builds patterns and some very interesting automation possibilities, and Studio one (a very nice workflow with the app plus the ScratchPad feature is insane, and lets not forget that Melodyne is integrated into it. In my opinion the best pitch and time correcting tool out there. Its so transparent.

So this doesn't really answer your question. But the more DAWs the merrier. Seems to work for me.

I've been a Cubase user for years - since VST 3.7. I tended to update every other version - I'm still on C7 at the moment and can't see myself updating in the near future.

I still use Cubase on occasion, but after starting to use it more often last year, REAPER has become my primary DAW since the turn of the year. Recent Cubase updates have had less and less if anything at all to interest me (I record acoustic, classical and rock music).

I had tried REAPER numerous times over the years but never clicked with it. For some reason, once it hit V4 I started to like it.

I've slowly built up the toolbars and custom actions I need so it pretty much does everything I want at the moment.

If REAPER handled tempo maps as well as Cubase (the warp function where you can just drag the bar divisions to line them up to your audio) it would be perfect for me.
[I have an action in REAPER which is close, but not quite there.]
Last edited by kpd on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm in the process of umming-and-ahhing about it now.

I recently acquired a roli seaboard 25, and my beloved host (FLStudio) doesn't support it's funky features and although the developers are "talking" to each other about it, I'm not going to hold my breath that it's coming any time soon. ROLI provided the cut-down, 8-track, 2-plugin-limit version of Bitwig so I could at least check out the plugins I have that support MPE (mostly Kaivo - it sings!), and the Strobe2 plugin that also came with it (cheers...not a bad synth at all!), but the limitations make actually using it properly a bit of a ball-ache, and I'd still need another DAW to do everything else.

So I went looking. Bitwig sounds buggy for MPE at the mo, although maybe v2 isn't?
Bit out of my preferred price range though anyway.
I've never liked using Cubase and I don't think it has significantly changed as to change my mind about that one either.

Reaper seems the most promising at the moment. I'd played with Reaper demo before and never took to it, but I've spent a little bit more time with it and starting to get how it comes together a bit better.

Unless anyone knows of any others that do MPE nicely?
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Zexila wrote: Thank you anyways, always pleasure to talk to you and read your postings. :hug:
Thanks man, likewise. :)

ontracktuts wrote:Instead of jumping ship I have just expanded the amount of DAWs I use. I find that each one has its own set of unique set of features. So I went form using just using Logic, to now using Cubase (great MID function), FL Studio (great using the way it builds patterns and some very interesting automation possibilities, and Studio one (a very nice workflow with the app plus the ScratchPad feature is insane, and lets not forget that Melodyne is integrated into it. In my opinion the best pitch and time correcting tool out there. Its so transparent.

So this doesn't really answer your question. But the more DAWs the merrier. Seems to work for me.
More power to you if you have the brain capacity.
I tired it but did not do so well using 3 or more DAWs.
But then I am only a part time musician.

What I really want is a One and only DAW but will settle for a main DAW and a secondary.
One of the DAW's must be ARA capable.

My preferred main DAW as of 9 AM is either FL Studio or Reaper.
In this scenario Studio One will be my secondary or one of the other 4 ARA DAW's.
Samplitue, Waveform aka Tracktion, Sonar Platinum or Mixcraft.

I've "moved" from Cubase 6.5 to Bitwig 2. Still can't tell you if it's been a permanent and decent move. I might keep both but still haven't decided which will be my main DAW.
Cubase 6.5 was very stable and standard in the sense of production, but I wanted to move to a more modulatable and live environment.

aced411 wrote:
Zexila wrote: Thanks for suggestions and taking your time to respond, already went trough demoing almost everything that is under the sun and found Bitwig to be best fit for my workflow, but not my wallet, on other hand was blown away by Jo from MuTools, but unfortunately, not with his MuLab.

For time being gonna give Cubase fair shot and if that fails, gonna get me some cheap second hand Mac and continue to use Logic 9, still delivers.
I've been on the same journey as you. For those of us that like to work in a traditional DAW, I'm here to tell you it is VERY difficult to find something on PC anywhere near the quality/price of Logic. Cubase is the closest thing I know of but it's almost twice the price, requires a dongle and does not have high dpi support. Bitwig is a close second and does a great job of supporting windows 10 with low latency drivers, touch support and high dpi but the price is a stretch. I went for Bitwig at $299 about a month ago and although the update price really annoys me, it's the only decent choice (for me) if I want to work on Windows and not feel like I went back in time 10 years.
Hey DAWmate, exactly, so nice to meet you. :hug:

You know the pain, you know the gain, you know everything, I really don't feel Bitwig is worth it...

Thing with Logic, as you know, is you can just go online and find out there's some "feature" (or just an actual way to do it) you didn't even know about, like with layered editing, you can do it in Logic too, not as straightforward as Bitwig, but hey, it can be done.

Bitwig on other hand is as bare bones as it get's, it does what it does and it does it good, but there's nothing more under the surface, hot new feature for 2017 is fades. :scared:

So yeah, giving a Cubase fair shot now, understand the shortcomings of LE/AI/Elements versions, but it's enough to give me a sense of it and answer is it really worth it.
All that aside, I have a few older macs around so probably would have been better off just sticking with Logic for music.
That's what I realize every new day, saw guy that still use Logic 5 on XP and taught what I'm missing with 9 on 10.6.8 in 2017, it works and delivers, good stuff is still supported and no GAS for newest toys.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote: That's what I realize every new day, saw guy that still use Logic 5 on XP and taught what I'm missing with 9 on 10.6.8 in 2017, it works and delivers, good stuff is still supported and no GAS for newest toys.
You inspired me to download Logic 9 again onto my mini. As fantastic as LPX is, 9 is still awesome. It even works on the latest version of Sierra. I feel like a dunce for spending all that money on Bitwig :cry:. I think I'll just use 9 for now (since I bought it 5 years ago) and upgrade to X next year.... or maybe by then Cubase 10 will have addressed my complaints (dongle/hdpi).

aced411 wrote:
Zexila wrote: That's what I realize every new day, saw guy that still use Logic 5 on XP and taught what I'm missing with 9 on 10.6.8 in 2017, it works and delivers, good stuff is still supported and no GAS for newest toys.
You inspired me to download Logic 9 again onto my mini. As fantastic as LPX is, 9 is still awesome. It even works on the latest version of Sierra. I feel like a dunce for spending all that money on Bitwig :cry:. I think I'll just use 9 for now (since I bought it 5 years ago) and upgrade to X next year.... or maybe by then Cubase 10 will have addressed my complaints (dongle/hdpi).

Maybe I can sell my Bitwig license.

aced411 wrote: You inspired me to download Logic 9 again onto my mini. As fantastic as LPX is, 9 is still awesome. It even works on the latest version of Sierra. I feel like a dunce for spending all that money on Bitwig :cry:. I think I'll just use 9 for now (since I bought it 5 years ago) and upgrade to X next year.... or maybe by then Cubase 10 will have addressed my complaints (dongle/hdpi).
It's still awesome, had pleasure to use 9 and X side by side and sincerely X isn't doing it for me (especially considering I need to go to for a new mac that can run it, well, now I really do need to get another machine, so yeah), it's like I'm blind and somebody rearranged some stuff in my house, actually that's how I use 9, I don't even look, I just click around, baaam it's there and done. :D
Maybe I can sell my Bitwig license.
There is Sell&Buy section here if you decide to do that.

viewforum.php?f=43
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Sonar and S1, can't explain that?

Ableton Live is my main DAW. I find it the easiest to start an idea with, and nothing really compares to the Session View for experimenting with ideas before committing to any kind of arrangement. For years I would start my ideas there and then move everything over to Sonar, but I've really been unsatisfied with Sonar, so I've been experimenting with other DAW's to fill it's position in my workflow. I've spent some time learning Studio One, and while that's perfectly capable of doing exactly what I need, I've also been giving Cubase Pro 9. I've been impressed with Cubase the most. Everyone is different, but for some reason, I can really get around in Cubase with ease. There's so much free information about it online that it's really easy to learn.

So, I guess you could say that I jumped ship from Sonar and moved over to Cubase.

I'm just waiting. I tell Reaper and Ableton that I might switch to Cubase any day now if they dare not function.

Got to keep 'em on their toes. They'll get rascally on you if you don't keep 'em guessing.

Tracktion Waveform.

Stepping out of Bitwig Subscription.
Letting go of Cubase but will upgrade to Absolute VST 3 at some point.

People may find Waveform's menu button set up clunky. But find it easier to navigate maximum options that in other DAWs that are labelled by a tiny icons. The one screen works well. And CPU performance is good. Sound quality is on par.
Last edited by geqfreq on Mon May 15, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jumped ship from Sonar X2 to Sonar Platinum, if that counts.

Still use Reaper once and a while just for tracking on a laptop tho ( mostly just because it loads faster )
I'm the best you can get, have you guessed me yet? I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”