Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

will it be possible to implement an option for increased polyphony? right now it's on 16 like the original DX7. an option for 128 (at least) will be greatly appreciated. especially when sustaining notes (on e pianos and such) 16 poly is very limiting... the Montage for example is capable of loading DX7 sysex and with 128 poly those darn e. pianos sounds really amazing.

Just wanted to say how impressed I am. Just one example where I heard something on the DX7 and thought, well, I'm sure this one didn't get replicated: when using a slow LFO and syncing it to the attack (LFO Sync), it should in theory start with a lower pitch than the key (e.g. one presses c4 and the LFO is set to something like an octave, one should hear immediately an f#3). However, the DX7 slurs from the c4 to the f#3. And what is Dexed doing? It slurs as well. Amazing!

One thing I noticed is that the LFO speeds are not exactly the same. Is there anything I can do? Is more data needed?

the dev already has 1/4 of a SY-77 i'd like to see him add some kind of AWM PCM OSC's
and shoot for an SY77 emu :pray:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

tristan- wrote:will it be possible to implement an option for increased polyphony? right now it's on 16 like the original DX7. an option for 128 (at least) will be greatly appreciated. especially when sustaining notes (on e pianos and such) 16 poly is very limiting... the Montage for example is capable of loading DX7 sysex and with 128 poly those darn e. pianos sounds really amazing.
yes, planned in next version. It will be an option since EG can run indefinitely; so optional 16/32/64/128 voices.
sebber wrote:Just wanted to say how impressed I am. Just one example where I heard something on the DX7 and thought, well, I'm sure this one didn't get replicated: when using a slow LFO and syncing it to the attack (LFO Sync), it should in theory start with a lower pitch than the key (e.g. one presses c4 and the LFO is set to something like an octave, one should hear immediately an f#3). However, the DX7 slurs from the c4 to the f#3. And what is Dexed doing? It slurs as well. Amazing!

One thing I noticed is that the LFO speeds are not exactly the same. Is there anything I can do? Is more data needed?
:) thanks... for the LFO speed I will check this one too for next version. I will use my MK-I as reference for this, so no additional data is required.
layzer wrote:the dev already has 1/4 of a SY-77 i'd like to see him add some kind of AWM PCM OSC's
and shoot for an SY77 emu :pray:
:roll: Never. The DX7 is 'easy' to emulate since it is based on very basic computing power. You can do reverse engineering and guess how it worked back then in 1983. The SY-77 is another ballgame, espcially with AWM PCM that are probably copyrighted. Yamaha should do the same thing as Korg did for M1 and Wavestation....

I just meticulously (= taking them apart) compared 35 sounds and 30 of them are pretty much exact replica. It is quite amazing and stunning. What an impressive work!

I've uploaded a .syx-file and five mp3s to https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9gh3v4l5zgw ... n.zip?dl=0

The first five patches in the syx-file are the same sounds in the mp3s, where Dexed is always on the right channel and a DX7 Mk1 on the left channel to compare things.

Here's a description of the five differences:
1:
Dexed opens up sound, DX7 doesn't

2:
Play MIDI Note 57 (a3): DX7 has no vibrato, Dexed does
Play MIDI Note 81 (a5): Vibrato DX7 is faster
Play MIDI Note 86 (d6): DX7 is even fasterer

3:
Play MIDI Note 81 (a5) staccato: Modulation makes sound of DX7 to jump to lower octave whereas Dexed intoduces heavy vibrato

4:
Sound with closed mod wheel is brighter with Dexed

5:
Play in highest octave: Modulation produces funny artifacts in Dexed (regardless of sound engine)

I also found that the LFO of Dexed is always a tiny little bit faster and when starting together they will drift until after about 30 stages they are together again.

Finally, being able to shut off single oscillators is great, although the slider is a bit hard to see (black on black...). What is confusing though is that it doesn't get stored this way. When reloading a patch with some oscillators turned off, the originally turned off oscillators are now turned on but with the volume at 0. This was probably discussed earlier, I just wanted to say it's a bit confusing. A better place for the generators to be switched on and off might be in the algorithm matrix, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, this is great work! Do you ever think of long-evity of the software? That it doesn't get unusable when the interest of the developers wanes and Apple runs iOSX 15 and Microsoft Windows 18 and the audio layer has walked off into HTML 9? Because it would be just crazy if somebody has to do all this again in 20 years. So awesome of a work it is :-)

Ah, and one last thing: the DX7 Mk1 had a bug (or feature?) which can be used to great effect: changing the program while the envelopes are still playing makes the timbre change in the middle of the sound. This way one can change the algorithms on the fly. FM8 can sort of do that, but Dexed runs circles around FM8 in term of DX7 emulation. That would really be the icing on the cake.

sebber wrote:Ah, and one last thing: the DX7 Mk1 had a bug (or feature?) which can be used to great effect: changing the program while the envelopes are still playing makes the timbre change in the middle of the sound. This way one can change the algorithms on the fly. FM8 can sort of do that, but Dexed runs circles around FM8 in term of DX7 emulation. That would really be the icing on the cake.
+10
:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

sebber wrote:Ah, and one last thing: the DX7 Mk1 had a bug (or feature?) which can be used to great effect: changing the program while the envelopes are still playing makes the timbre change in the middle of the sound. This way one can change the algorithms on the fly. FM8 can sort of do that, but Dexed runs circles around FM8 in term of DX7 emulation. That would really be the icing on the cake.
Vector FM Synthesis...

Yamaha presents: the DX7 VS :phones:

sebber wrote:Yamaha presents: the DX7 VS :phones:
Yamaha presents a comparison DX7 VS Dexed ?
:D

And who is the winner ?

Dexed ?
:clap:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Fm8

Anyone knows how to create empty cartridge for patches?

asi4 wrote:Anyone knows how to create empty cartridge for patches?
i just use this one:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/nzyq8u
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
asi4 wrote:Anyone knows how to create empty cartridge for patches?
i just use this one:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/nzyq8u
Thank you!

nevermind...

Return to “Instruments”