Korg Gadget comes to Mac...also as AU, VST, AAX, NKS support!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gadget

aMUSEd wrote:I'd only really be getting this for the Arp and updated Wavestation and tbh I really think for the latter they should do the right thing and update the KLC version. They have no excuses for not doing this really.
Exactly what I said. They are releasing products under a new name that they had already released (M1 and Wavestation, at least) instead of updating the versions that were already released. And I am not even sure that the new ones are fully editable (there's nothing in the specifications that clarify this aspect).

This seems like a step back, with dummy versions (essentially "players"), instead of fully editable versions with better GUIs. I have the full KLC, as well as a real Wavestation, so, I am familiar with the complexity of the Wavestation.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I'd only really be getting this for the Arp and updated Wavestation and tbh I really think for the latter they should do the right thing and update the KLC version. They have no excuses for not doing this really.
Exactly what I said. They are releasing products under a new name that they had already released (M1 and Wavestation, at least) instead of updating the versions that were already released. And I am not even sure that the new ones are fully editable (there's nothing in the specifications that clarify this aspect).

This seems like a step back, with dummy versions (essentially "players"), instead of fully editable versions with better GUIs. I have the full KLC, as well as a real Wavestation, so, I am familiar with the complexity of the Wavestation.
Like i said, the iOS version are full editable and even offer a few more options than the KLC version plus much better GUI´s (maybe not everyone think so of course).
The Gadget versions (in iOS and macOS) f.e. from these (and also from others like the M1) lacks some features, especially the Milpitas (iWavetstation) which is indeed not available yet for mac anyway.
They are more than preset players. Lexington f.e. "just" lacks the arp from the full app. But the arp can modulate also parameters, so it is a bit sad.
But nothing you can´t replace with midi FX and automation inside a big DAW.
The synth engine is full editable with access to OSC, envelopes, LFO´s, FX etc.
The Gadget version of the wavestation lacks a lot of the deeper editing of envelopes, morphing etc.
The "advanced" versions are still iOS exclusive.
The truth is i would pay 200 for an updated KLC.
But yes, the ArpOdyssei sound awesome. Some really massive unison sound included.

I just got input from a couple of folks on the audiobus forum who just bought the Mac-Gadget and they are suitably impressed. Mind you, this is still kind of a 1.0 kind of release, and some midi mappings aren't available to some gadgets in native mode (at least that is how I understood it) but, it seems to be working well! As far as I can tell it really sounds like a great way to sequence a handfull of Lexingtons, and drum modules and then (almost) perfectly porting it to Ableton for further tweaking. The VSTs and AUs also seem to work in Logic and Live as advertised. The integration between the iPad, Mac, and iCloud sounds like it works but, importing sample sets to the modules sounds like it still works about the same way as it does for iPad (kind of archaic), which may be a moot point since Live and Logic already take care of sample editing so well. They posted a couple of YouTube videos too, and damn....they are nice.

https://youtu.be/xbyndopFMpk

https://youtu.be/2vagDKC4ceE

https://youtu.be/oXIoiBtVfYs

https://youtu.be/p2ziMKOUA30

So uh....nobody has actually bought and downloaded the Mac version yet? I was THIS CLOSE to actually doing it but, the price seems steep for someone who already owns the iOS Gadget (I do). Also the 7GB free space needed on my hard drive is a concern since I am almost half full on my 128Gb SSD. I bought an external 2TB SSD but, some programs won't read from an external HD, and I don't know whether or not Gadget is one of them. Lord knows, I certainly don't need any more piano or drum samples either.

Gotta say though, that the Lexington/Odyssei Gadget is the cat's meow! That and Helsinki (maybe Dublin, and Abu Dhabi too) on a desktop would be a fine thing. Those are real standouts. The M1 and Wavestation don't really do it for me. I heard them an awful lot in the 90s. I owned an X3 for a bit there

Payday ain't till Friday man.

I'm kind of wavering on it anyway really. I mean it's not like I need another desktop synth, let alone 30. The DAW part doesn't really interest me much apart from moving quick sketch ideas I do on the train into Logic.

Then again, I was saying I kind of wanted a dead-simple drum machine, the Odyssey would be cool and I do like Helsinki and a couple presets in the other synths. Hm, we'll see.

Edit: oh and that Nampo collab they did a few months ago, kombucha or whatever. Really like that one.

As mentioned earlier, I caved in and bought it. I also don't need the DAW part, so I considered the intro pricing just for VST gadgets...and the possibility Korg may add more in the future. I just had to get over the mentality that these were 'proper' tools, not just toys.

The way I looked at it was that Lexington (Odyssey) is easily as good as other $100+ VA VSTs. Phoenix, Wolfsburg, Chiang Mai, Berlin, Helsinko and Dublin all seem to hit some sweetspots for me, and I also really liked the idea of a bunch of simple drum machine pads (London, Recife, Tokyo and Bilbao). On top of that Zurich is a nice little effect unit I need to explore.

db3 wrote:As mentioned earlier, I caved in and bought it. I also don't need the DAW part, so I considered the intro pricing just for VST gadgets...and the possibility Korg may add more in the future. I just had to get over the mentality that these were 'proper' tools, not just toys.

The way I looked at it was that Lexington (Odyssey) is easily as good as other $100+ VA VSTs. Phoenix, Wolfsburg, Chiang Mai, Berlin, Helsinko and Dublin all seem to hit some sweetspots for me, and I also really liked the idea of a bunch of simple drum machine pads (London, Recife, Tokyo and Bilbao). On top of that Zurich is a nice little effect unit I need to explore.
Does it really require 7GB space on your HD? Can you place your samples on an external HD? Have you tried loading your own samples into one of the drum modules? Just curious.

W23 wrote:Does it really require 7GB space on your HD? Can you place your samples on an external HD? Have you tried loading your own samples into one of the drum modules? Just curious.
Mac installer is 4GB, I think it expands to more than that, but I can't see a full 7GB worth. Perhaps that's how much it needs to install. The drum machines don't appear to have sample import—but Bilbao (sample player) does. You just hit a button and import your wav into the gadget user library. Then you can adjust start, length, vol, pitch, decay, pan, fx send etc. Quick and simple.

I wonder what's taking up all that room. Gadget on my iPad is 1.2GB without Module installed.

My question: In 2021, on Windows,
when we have the updated Korg Colletion with big GUIs,
is there any reason to grab Korg Gadget 2 plugins?
IMHO they can't offer more than the "fully eqipped plugins" from Collection...

dune_rave wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:32 am My question: In 2021, on Windows,
when we have the updated Korg Colletion with big GUIs,
is there any reason to grab Korg Gadget 2 plugins?
IMHO they can't offer more than the "fully eqipped plugins" from Collection...
IMO, Gadget doesn't make sense (never did) when compared with the full-featured Collection plug-ins. Sure, they have more, and they built a whole "creative environment". For people wanting to enter that path, it may make sense. However, for those that already have their own DAWs, Collection makes much more sense, IMO.

I think we should all pressure Korg to further expand and develop Collection plug-ins, instead of wasting time and resources with this Gadget thing.
Fernando (FMR)

I don't think Gadgets 2 should be underestimated- you currently get 43 VSTs for under 200 bucks, that's less than 5 bucks a pop and they keep adding more free... https://www.korg.com/us/products/softwa ... ection.php

Some are totally unique sounds, instruments and fx (Sega 16 bit drum machine anyone!) and other are close to the full version of KLC instruments in term as of sounds with enough pre-sets and ROM cards for most people I would guess.

I just use them as VST (they also work great as NKS) as I am on PC so no gadget (but have it on the iPAD) and there are some gems in there including the greats from KLC that 'sound' identical (I have KLC and Oddy as well). Maybe if your only into in-depth programming of your own sounds its not the perfect solution, but for people who just want to play and tweak pre-sets its perfect and great value.

PS- just noticed they did a another free update to Gadgets with a bunch more new sounds, once thing is for sure, its Gadgets that get all of the attention and updates! https://www.korg.com/us/news/2021/0325/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”