Vengeance Producer Suite - AVENGER - 1.8.5 the main thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger

Hanz Meyzer wrote:But if cpu meters show such different results, at least it could be an indication for spiky CPU load, which should be avoided in a realtime VST plugin...

Also I am talking about Avenger's usage per single OSC: It almost can be 1% of a decent CPU. Then with 20 OSCs / 10 voices you already have 20% cpu load. So I would assume, for some reason, it is no optimised very much - obviously.
do you mean 2 osc with 10 voices resulting in 20 osc? or coded to run 20 oscs but top with 10 voices? That leads to 200 oscs running

ZaBong69 wrote:Regarding CPU usage, I have something really strange:

Inside my DAW (Bitwig, Win10), Avenger actually behaves - I can use it, many patches show only up to 15% CPU usage. No problem, not stuttering.

But my Windows CPU-meter tells another story - 30% as soon as I start Avenger in Bitwig, even without making any noise, as soon as I open the GUI. I have a laptop with a dedicated graphics card (FirePro), and with three instances of Avenger running, my CPU (!) goes up to 60% and shows 4 cores running at 80%.

This all seems to come from the GUI only, not the DSP, which stays under 20% even with three instances of a chord arp sound that should require some CPU workout.

Anybody elese having this?

K
This has been discussed many times in this thread (easy and massive GPU overheating when opening Avengers GUI, laggy graphics, crashes with multiple editors open) from users working on Mac and Win too. An extra "low fps" setting on the systems page was introduced.
It has been discussed that the DAWs internal CPU meter, Avengers one and the OS CPU meter all differ in their values (Avenger itself shows lower values, DAW most of the time slightly higher and the OS shows the truth). Also please check what CPU & graphics card you're using. Some AMD & ATI users have massive performance problems so it seems to be "optimized" for NVIDIA & Intel. But see yourself as a lucky one since the synth is at least running and without many crashes :D

ZaBong69 wrote:
C-quence wrote:Bitwig is German based as well :wink:
So my music production currently is 100% German based: Bitwig + Avenger = :party:
I keep wondering what it is with us Germans. We don't dance, we don't party... we just make all ze music software.
Lol! That's pretty funny :hihi: and don't forget that you also gave the world David Hasselfhoff... well, kind of lol

So, I've actually been looking seriously at this synth for a while now and was just about to pull the trigger on a purchase but then I noted something strange in my cart when I was about to check out.

In addition to the Avenger Suite, it automatically adds Download Protection for $6 and Backup Media for $12. This adds almost 10% to the cost so I took both off but what I read about them, especially the Download Protection, is either concerning or I don't understand correctly.

It basically says that this option allows you to have continued access to your download (12 months for Avenger Suite & 6 months for EDM expansion pack). This seems weird because shouldn't this be included for an unlimited time for free? For instance, with my Live license, I can (and have) downloaded to product several times (like after changing PCs, a hard-drive crash, etc). There of course was no charge for any of the subsequent downloads since what I paid for was the licence to use the software, not the privilege of downloading it.

So, the way I read this, they are basically forcing you to buy either one of these 2 add-ons. Is this right or am I missing something? And, what happens if I buy the download protection and then I need to download again after the year (or 6 months with the sound pack) has passed? This again seems like they are forcing you to get the back-up media... which in itself would be a 10% extra charge that I really don't want to pay.

Any feedback or clarification on these issues would be appreciated.

GabryRox wrote:So, I've actually been looking seriously at this synth for a while now and was just about to pull the trigger on a purchase but then I noted something strange in my cart when I was about to check out.

In addition to the Avenger Suite, it automatically adds Download Protection for $6 and Backup Media for $12. This adds almost 10% to the cost so I took both off but what I read about them, especially the Download Protection, is either concerning or I don't understand correctly.

It basically says that this option allows you to have continued access to your download (12 months for Avenger Suite & 6 months for EDM expansion pack). This seems weird because shouldn't this be included for an unlimited time for free? For instance, with my Live license, I can (and have) downloaded to product several times (like after changing PCs, a hard-drive crash, etc). There of course was no charge for any of the subsequent downloads since what I paid for was the licence to use the software, not the privilege of downloading it.

So, the way I read this, they are basically forcing you to buy either one of these 2 add-ons. Is this right or am I missing something? And, what happens if I buy the download protection and then I need to download again after the year (or 6 months with the sound pack) has passed? This again seems like they are forcing you to get the back-up media... which in itself would be a 10% extra charge that I really don't want to pay.

you are absolutely right.
We never see such thing before , i wish it will not start Plague and other companys will Adopt such a thing.
I am asking the quetion what will be after the 12 months , how do we get updates? :?

Even google gives you Drive for free , Dropbox too. and we are not there customers.
Shame for them.

*Love money will not swear money.(always wants more)

GabryRox wrote:
ZaBong69 wrote:
C-quence wrote:Bitwig is German based as well :wink:
So my music production currently is 100% German based: Bitwig + Avenger = :party:
I keep wondering what it is with us Germans. We don't dance, we don't party... we just make all ze music software.
Lol! That's pretty funny :hihi: and don't forget that you also gave the world David Hasselfhoff... well, kind of lol
Germany has already apologized for David Hasselhof on several occasions. No need to bring him up ('Don't mention the Hoff')

BTW. It really is not that difficult to go all Teutonic in Music production. Ableton, Steinberg, Synapse, Sugar Bytes, Uhe, Air, Native Instruments... we have our ways to make you dance...

Back to topic..

GabryRox - I have seen these elsewhere, and it's not a trend to get excited about, is it? And in this case, buying something just for 12 months "protection" is very poor.

Not that it excuses the policy, what I try to do when I download a new product or update is always back it up to a separate HDD before I install. Storage is so cheap these days, it costs very little and it's not quite as convenient, but it gets round the problem.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Coockie1176ln wrote:
lacks of optimisation? I dont agree. Maybe for mac users. Same amount off osc running on serum vs avenger avenger is way better on cpu handling. Remember these 2 synths has tremendous quality with extremely low ailising issues compaired to most other vsti synths. Sylenth1 is extremly low on cpu but the quality of the osc is all other then good, effects is horrible, but you can make good sounds on sylenth1 i still think it sounds good even if its a bad quality synth. perfect quality doesnt mean better preceived sound anyway
When I bounce to Audio with Serum, there is no CPU hit any more. But Avenger keeps eating on four cores even when the gui is closed and the track has been rendered to Audio.

Sorry, this is unacceptable to me, waiting for an update.

GabryRox wrote:So, I've actually been looking seriously at this synth for a while now and was just about to pull the trigger on a purchase but then I noted something strange in my cart when I was about to check out.

You don't need this. You will always have access to your files from your Vengeance Sound account.

Maybe a little off topic... Why are the expansions so bloody expensive?

ZaBong69 wrote:
Coockie1176ln wrote:
lacks of optimisation? I dont agree. Maybe for mac users. Same amount off osc running on serum vs avenger avenger is way better on cpu handling. Remember these 2 synths has tremendous quality with extremely low ailising issues compaired to most other vsti synths. Sylenth1 is extremly low on cpu but the quality of the osc is all other then good, effects is horrible, but you can make good sounds on sylenth1 i still think it sounds good even if its a bad quality synth. perfect quality doesnt mean better preceived sound anyway
When I bounce to Audio with Serum, there is no CPU hit any more. But Avenger keeps eating on four cores even when the gui is closed and the track has been rendered to Audio.

Sorry, this is unacceptable to me, waiting for an update.
I agree Avenger does use some CPU (not much on my system) even when no notes are triggered- this may be as many of the patches have the wavetable being morphed/modulated even when a key isn't pressed, were as Serum moves the wavetable when you hit a key in most pre-sets?

Normal practice is to bounce and then turn off the plug (I think most DAWS have off/on for plug ins) to save the CPU. Avenger doesn't use any CPU for me when I turn it off in my DAW, takes less than a second to do!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Ryan99 wrote:You will always have access to your files from your Vengeance Sound account.
Oh yeah, this is ringing a bell now - it's entirely redundant, right? Kinda unethical to have it at checkout if its effectively worthless.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

its redundant, you do NOT need the backup media, download protection etc options in your cart. This is a service from our reseller "ShareIt". Of course you have access to your Avenger Account with your downloads anytime

msvs wrote:its redundant, you do NOT need the backup media, download protection etc options in your cart. This is a service from our reseller "ShareIt". Of course you have access to your Avenger Account with your downloads anytime
Thank you very much for the clarification and also for replying so quickly to my e-mail (on a Sunday morning in Germany nonetheless)! This makes a lot more sense now and I will be purchasing this great product today! Just hope my current PC can handle it reasonably until i build my new one in a few weeks.

SLiC wrote: Normal practice is to bounce and then turn off the plug (I think most DAWS have off/on for plug ins) to save the CPU. Avenger doesn't use any CPU for me when I turn it off in my DAW, takes less than a second to do!
Hi,

I forgot to mention this, but it is significant: the 30% CPU use stays on even if the plugin is turned off completely! This is under Bitwig 2.0, so it may be a problem coming from the host not actually turning off all sub-processes of a plugin, instead of Avenger just ignoring the off switch. Maybe Avenger keeps the GUI processes running to keep latency down, as On-Off-switches can be automated?

BTW., that 30% is independent from how many instances of Avenger I run.

I have to admit that I have a somewhat special system (i7 Dell Precision Workstation with a professional graphics card from AMD), but for the live of me I can not understand how a synth GUI can eat almost as much GPU/CPU resources than a 3D game such as Tomb Raider on a 1.4 TFLOPS graphics card. That I enjoy this plugin hammering my processors even when it is completely turned off is just the icing on the cake.

I consider Avenger to be the most interesting new synth since Serum's release, and I have deep respect for the VPS guys DSP programming skills (those OSCs are amazingly clean!), but the GUI seems to be a killjoy for now.

K

Return to “Instruments”