Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

MG: I just purchased the Pro 64 version myself and everything worked perfectly.
The download link in the email worked fine for me.
It expires after 24 hours so if you waited to open the email that might be it.

WoodMan: These are the VST codes I'm using:

Bundle Identifier: com.seaweedaudio.fathom
Plugin Manufacturer Code: SEAW
Plugin Code: fath
Plugin AU Export Prefix: SynthesizerAU
Plugin AU Main Type: (Blank)
VST Category: (Blank)
RTAS Category: (Blank)
AAX Identifier: com.Seaweed.Fathom

If you tell from Reaper which codes it is trying to read,
I will change it so that Reaper likes what it sees.

The blank fields might be a problem and the fact that the internal name is different
from the DLL name might be a problem (which will be fixed next release).

Also is Reaper looking for VST3 not VST?

Does anyone here have more experience with VST interface manufacturer fields then me?

FathomSynth wrote:MG: I just purchased the Pro 64 version myself and everything worked perfectly.
The download link in the email worked fine for me.
It expires after 24 hours so if you waited to open the email that might be it.
Thanks for letting me know. I mistakenly thought I might be able to get the update through that link before it sunk in I needed to use the other method.

FathomSynth wrote:WoodMan: These are the VST codes I'm using:

Bundle Identifier: com.seaweedaudio.fathom
Plugin Manufacturer Code: SEAW
Plugin Code: fath
Plugin AU Export Prefix: SynthesizerAU
Plugin AU Main Type: (Blank)
VST Category: (Blank)
RTAS Category: (Blank)
AAX Identifier: com.Seaweed.Fathom

If you tell from Reaper which codes it is trying to read,
I will change it so that Reaper likes what it sees.

The blank fields might be a problem and the fact that the internal name is different
from the DLL name might be a problem (which will be fixed next release).

Also is Reaper looking for VST3 not VST?

Does anyone here have more experience with VST interface manufacturer fields then me?
Reaper will find both VST and VST3.

I'm not sure which codes are specifically used by Reaper, but the VSTs I coded used the following:

Code: Select all

#define PLUG_MFR "adcdefg"
#define PLUG_NAME "adcdefg"
#define BUNDLE_MFR "adcdefg"
#define BUNDLE_NAME "adcdefg"
#define PLUG_UNIQUE_ID 'Abcd' // Must be four characters with at least one capital letter
#define PLUG_MFR_ID '1234'

Repro-1 shows up in VST3i, VSTi and "instruments"
Abysnth 5 shows up in VST, VSTi and "instruments"
Fathom shows up in VSTi and "instruments" as "Synthesizer" (like we were talking about)

in REAPER

OK I will get Reaper and give those code formats a try.
Its really important that Fathom can be loaded by Reaper so I will fix this.
Thanks!

I just installed Repear and pointed the VST to Fathom and it loads perfectly.
It shows up under All Plugins, Instruments, "VSTi: Synthesizer (Seaweed Audio)"
ReaperSmall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, I had no problems loading it (32-bit, Mono & Pro) in Reaper either.

FathomSynth wrote:I just installed Repear and pointed the VST to Fathom and it loads perfectly.
ReaperSmall.jpg
As I wrote a few posts ago, generally when a behavior persists after having updated (and even sometimes uninstalled then reinstalled) a DAW... it is usually because of the cache. Updating or uninstalling/reinstalling a DAW never resets the cache. And it is coherent. Because the updating as well as the uninstalling/reinstalling must not delete the files and the history of the user in case of will to keep the files for an hypothetical future.

Reaper has a cache, Mulab has a cache, Sonar has a cache, FL Studio has a cache, Cubase has a cache. Every DAW has a cache.

It the cache is reset, then the old wrong name of a synth will definitively be replaced by the new name during the next rescan if the synth itself has got its definitely right name in a recent version. We very often forget that in the panel of Reaper there is not only a button "Rescan" but there is also a button not enough used which is "Clean cache then rescan" and with an option box "Get VST names/types when scanning" and these two elements (the button "Clear cache then rescan" and the option box) are extremely important when there is a persistent issue with the name of a plugin. The single "Rescan" is not enough by itself because it doesn't clear the cache. It is the other button which must be used in these cases (and with the option box).

In Mulab (and MUX) it works differently for the files on the hard disk, but it is fundamentally the same principle. And it can be done outside Mulab (or MUX), the product being close of course. In your directory where Mulab (or MUX is) is installed you have subdirectories, and some of them have a file containing Cache in its name. Don't remove them... but just rename them (so that you can retrieve them one by one in its previous state if you observe something wrong when relaunching Mulab or MUX).
But for the plugins declared in the the table of instruments/Effects in Mulab (or MUX) it is even easier ! The table of declared instruments and effects is... a XML text file!

It is this one: MuLab\User\Settings\VstPlugins.Xml

If you open it with any text editor you immediately understand how it works. It is even possible to create (or manage) yourself your table of instruments and effects to include (or rename) them manually in the declared visual tables of Mulab or MUX when they will be opened the next time. It is even possible... to rename a plugin the way you want!

For example I have renamed the synth known by default as "ME80v2_3_BIG_x64" into the way pleasant name "ME-80 (Big GUI)". It can be made of course using the GUI featured in Mulab, but it is much more interesting by doing it in the text editor (the DAW being closed of course. Look at how appear all the parameters for a plugin (it is the same for all the plugins), the structure of the code is evident:

Code: Select all

<Plug>
    <FilePath>/D:/!MAO/!VST/!64/Gunnar Ekornas/ME80/ME80v2_3_BIG_x64.dll</FilePath>
    <Name>ME-80 (Big GUI)</Name>
    <FileSize>58</FileSize>
    <Group/>
    <NumPrograms>128</NumPrograms>
    <NumParams>291</NumParams>
    <NumInputs>0</NumInputs>
    <NumOutputs>2</NumOutputs>
    <Flags>305</Flags>
    <Valid>1</Valid>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Selected>0</Selected>
    <InitialDelay>0</InitialDelay>
    <UniqueID>1298479152</UniqueID>
    <Version>1</Version>
    <VstVersion>2400</VstVersion>
    <ReGroupAudioInputs/>
    <ReGroupAudioOutputs/>
    <MustZeroOutputsBeforeProcessReplacing>0</MustZeroOutputsBeforeProcessReplacing>
    <EnableOsxCarbonEditor>0</EnableOsxCarbonEditor>
    <LastDataFilePath/>
    <PrefNumAuxAudioInputs>0</PrefNumAuxAudioInputs>
    <PrefNumAuxAudioOutputs>0</PrefNumAuxAudioOutputs>
    <PrefNumAuxEventInputs>0</PrefNumAuxEventInputs>
    <PrefNumAuxEventOutputs>0</PrefNumAuxEventOutputs>
  </Plug>
In addition to the deletion (true or simulated by a renaming) of the cache files, we can see in this example that in Mulab (and MUX, but also with some other DAWS) it extremely easy to rename a plugin which has got a wrong name in the past or a plugin that we simply want to rename in a more friendly way.
:)
Last edited by BlackWinny on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

FathomSynth wrote:I just installed Repear and pointed the VST to Fathom and it loads perfectly.
Thanks for testing.

I was able to get the 64 bit version of Fathom working in Reaper 5.4 running under WINE on Linux, but still no joy on the win10 machine. What are the details of the system you have it running on?

I did spend some time playing with Fathom on the Linux machine - very nice - good work!

BlackWinny, yes, thank you so much for the in depth information.

After I cleared the cache in Reaper it worked.

To do that in Reaper, go to Options, Preferences, Plug-ins, VST.
Hit "Clear cache/re-scan", "OK".
Track, Insert new virtual instrument on track.
Then under Instruments, not VST, it shows up as "VSTi: Synthesizer (Seaweed Audio)".

For the next release I will fix the internal VST name so it displays as "Fathom".

I'm using Windows 7 Pro.

BlackWinny wrote: ...
It the cache is reset, then the old wrong name of a synth will definitively be replaced by the new name during the next rescan if the synth itself has got its definitely right name in a recent version. We very often forget that in the panel of Reaper there is not only a button "Rescan" but there is also a button not enough used which is "Clean cache then rescan" and with an option box "Get VST names/types when scanning" and these two elements (the button "Clear cache then rescan" and the option box) are extremely important when there is a persistent issue with the name of a plugin. The single "Rescan" is not enough by itself because it doesn't clear the cache. It is the other button which must be used in these cases (and with the option box).
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

In Reaper, I have tried "Clear cache then rescan". I also tried manually deleting entries directly from the .inf file. Neither method resulted in an entry for the Fathom Synthesizer appearing in the Reaper plugin list on the win10 systems I have tried. If I uncheck the "Get VST names/types when scanning" box and "Clear cache then rescan" then Fathom appears in the VST list (not the VSTi list), but it cannot be loaded into Reaper (it appears as a broken plugin).

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was able to get the 64 bit version of Fathom to work in Reaper 5.4 running under WINE on Linux, and FathomSynth has it working on a win7 pro system. I'm wondering if this is only an issue for Reaper running on win10. This is the first time I have seen this type of issue with any plugin, and I've tried quite a few plugins.

If the only difference is Windows 10 I would strongly suspect a driver issue.
That would be the only difference.
Win 7 and 10 are both 64 Bit so I find it hard to believe the Reaper VST code would be different.
Try pointing Repear to different audio drivers, like WinMe, Asio, Focusrite etc.

The first bug I fix for the next release will be the Plugin internal name to Fathom.
And fill all the VST manufacturer fields.
We'll see if maybe that fixes it.

Does Reaper have a Forum you can post to also?

There are also Win 10 issues threads at kvr which might help, but Cockos forum/faqs could be good place to start.

Return to “Instruments”