Overestimated synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cryophonik wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:
cryophonik wrote:
Beat me to it. Nevermind that most people still can't tell analog from digital in a blind taste test. :P
...I still disagree.
...but 95 % of people would probably struggle. 99% probably if you are talking laypersons.
95-99% of all people would, by any definition, equal "most people"
That was only half of my post though, the point I was making is that different people use analog synths for different reasons. For some things, i.e simple subractive synthesis, sure, now it is practically indistinguishable. For some other things, like FM and anything else running at audio rate, its not at all.

I use Reaktor 6 a lot, and I Demo'd Softube modular when it came out. I own Bazille etc etc
I also have an analog modular synth. Nothing on my computer still sounds like my modular when things start getting much further than a simple patch.

I used to be a staunch defender of digital audio and thought all the analog people were kinda elitist or something.... Mainly because a lot of what people find interesting about Analog synths doesn't really interest me. Like warbling slightly out of tune pads :D
Until I head an Oscillator modulating a self oscillating z2040 filter on a friends newly purchased modular synth.
My mind was instantly changed.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Some wavetable synths are overrated, but to me definitely not the analog emulations! These days I found myself prefer synths like Diva, Legend, RePro~1, ..etc much more than other synths. They are synths of character and so inspiring :)

sergiofrias wrote:sylenth1 :D
Yep. And I'm not using an emoji.
And I sold my copy.

most new VSTi's

the only thing they are better at is using more CPU.
synths like Synth1 and Charlatan use so little CPU but paired with outboard effects
can sound huge.

and FU, fanboys you know its true. :box:
Last edited by layzer on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

All of them! All the synths are overestimated!

When can we start blabbing about ot shit? I want people to tell me whether a sound is "round" or "moody" and how that influences society and the tires on my car.

I think KLOPFGEIST by LogicPro is highly overestimated by means of rhythm making...

Here's the real overestimated synth :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUr8oO1 ... e=youtu.be

20k :o
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

recursive one wrote:
kv331 wrote: I got myself a 2nd hand Virus TI 2 weeks ago for $1500. A brand new one costs around $3000. I previewed many presets, but honestly I couldnt understand why a hardware synth like that costs 3 grands.
Does that mean that we may expect something based on Virus in next Synthmaster versions?

Btw, in my opinion the Virus factory presets are mostly so-so, it is capable of much more impressive sounds.
I think it because it does a wide range of sounds very well as recursive One has often mentioned and now I understand his assertion too.. Pads, analogue subtractive, FM, formant, a very pleasant character of its own through all of these types. And its own type of synthesis that I have never seen in any other synth. And it it did it quite early as well and it did it in a better sounding way than softsynths did 15-20 years ago. Of course today these things have been covered in a more or less similar way (with the exception of formant complex synthesis). Though in my own opinion not in a well enough way subjectively to stop me from buying a cut down Snow version. I cannot see myself getting rid of the Snow for a very long time time, right now at least.

Things are often over rated if you don't subjectively like them, could this thread not just be a list of synth you don't enjoy using or hearing yourself, I have a few but others probably love them.

TB303, it was shit when it came out, it was cheap disposable shit when it was used to make Acid and it is overpriced shit now when every hipster wannabe feels the need to prove their credentials with this farty little turd in a box.

kv331 wrote:Here's the real overestimated synth :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUr8oO1 ... e=youtu.be

20k :o
But it sounds even better if you use these headphones on top :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-wCNOYRDM

Well, the 20k's are surely not for the sound. Rather for a design study, with extra expensive build materials. :P

kv331 wrote:
KingofBeers wrote:Access Virus.
I got myself a 2nd hand Virus TI 2 weeks ago for $1500. A brand new one costs around $3000. I previewed many presets, but honestly I couldnt understand why a hardware synth like that costs 3 grands.

Having said that, off to porting our code to ARM/Linux :hihi:
Actually they dropped in price recently, at least in Europe. 1.5k for Desktop and 2k for the Polar/Darkstar.

I want a knobs-a-plenty synth for quite some time. Got pissed when the Snow was out of the line as it was the most affordable.
I think this Summer I will get me a Polar brand new :)

Sound design in general is overrated. R2D2 bleeps and bumblebee wubs are not going to stand the test of time. A little bit of noise is fine as spice for a song, but making that the focal point of (soi dissant) music is like pretending a bowl of salt and pepper constitutes a meal.

To that end, above a certain threshold of quality (which many synths easily cross these days) ergonomics is the dominant concern, at least as far as actual music production goes. But a lot of people romanticize overly complex synths and sound design that doesn't practically matter in the real world -- and doubly so from the perspective of timelessness.

I won't name any names, but there are a lot of Rube Goldberg machines out there (toys, really) masquerading as instruments -- they tend to be very popular in these parts, while more elegant concepts incur a sort of wrath akin to that of a child who didn't get the DELUXE set for Christmas that he asked for, mooom!
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

aumordia wrote:Sound design in general is overrated. R2D2 bleeps and bumblebee wubs are not going to stand the test of time.
You have general and specific confused there, don't you.

Why isn't Omnisphere on page one? Cmon, even the name is injected with pure pharmaceutical grade pomposity.

Return to “Instruments”