Help me patch my new synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's the deal. I will be releasing, for free, my new S1-A synth shortly, but I'm not a patch maker. I'm looking to you guys for help to make patches for it.

The S1-A is a 3 oscillator synth with the first 2 have 8 voices each, which can done in unison. It has 2 different speed LOFs, a simple chorus, delay, and an overload for effects. It also has lowpass, highpass, bandpass, and band reject filters. It's available in 32 or 64 bit. Links are below.

David

32 bit: http://bit.ly/2q8QwHG

64 bit: http://bit.ly/2p4WdFx

UPDATE: New GUI with 3rd LFO and EQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bayouland on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

UPDATE: To those of you who have already downloaded the synth, I have added a new featyre. The LFOs can now route to the unison oscs detune. I thought this would give some interesting sounds, and I don't think I've seen this routing before. Maybe I'm wrong though. Also, please don't be shy about leaving your thought on this synth. Thanks.

David
Last edited by bayouland on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello David

Two filters put in series in the VCF is not a luxury touch now in 2017. So I strongly invite you to add a filter just above the current one on your GUI, and this filter would be without any choice of type: it would be a High-Pass filter (with resonance if you want and if you can, it is awesome, but that resonance on a High-Pass filter is not mandatory).

In the VCF section, if you can add some room just under the second filter it would be nice to add a simple equalizer made of six band-pass filters which are centered on these frequencies : 110 Hz, 220Hz, 440 Hz, 880 Hz, 1760 Hz, and 3520 HZ. These are the notes A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, and A5.
Note that the last (A5, 3520 Hz) is very interesting to add especially when the musician uses a resonant Low-Pass filter just above, because it will allow him to tweak very accurately the musical effect (the aspect of the audio spectrum in all the lower frequencies) induced by the resonance of the Low-Pass filter just above. It allows you to REALLY sculpt with much more flexibility the spectrum on ALL its wide range. You can't imagine how much it can make the sound beautiful.
And in the same principle, the A0 (110 Hz) filter would add very interesting colours to the low frequencies added by the resonance of the low-pass filter with a similar control on the frequencies in the spectrum as above with the A5 filter... but now within all the frequencies which are near the other end of the spectrum.

So, now you would have:
  1. The current VCO section (containing all the current stuff).
  2. The VCF section (containing the new High-Pass filter THEN your current multi-choice filter THEN the equalizer, the ensemble being placed in series)
  3. The two current LFOs
  4. A third LFO so that you can now modulate independently:
    • the VCO section
    • the second filter (generally it is set in low-pass)
    • and the VCA.
  5. A multiposition switch allowing to sync or desync the LFOs with these different situations : LFO1-LFO2 or LF1-LFO3 or LFO2-LFO3 or LFO1-LFO2-LFO3
  6. Two ADSR envelope, one for the VCO section and one for the multi-choice filter

And I would invite you also to put a tempo (tweakable from 0 to 2 secondes) to at least one of the LFOs. This would allow to delay the action of that LFO (to simulate the delayed vibrato of a flute sound or of a violin-type sound for example)

With these improvements, your synth would become to be awesome !

You can't imagine the possibilities which could be reached by your synth simply with these very easy improvements. The musical results would be much more interesting than currently.

Your idea to route a LFO to the unison is good. But beware, it must be an LFO with a very slight amplitude to avoid to reach awful effects in the average pitch of the VCO. This very slight amplitude of the LFO will also allow the musician to tweak much easily the desired effect. In conclusion it must be an LFO with any speed you want... but with a rate (an amplitude) quite discrete to reach a pretty unison movement during the sound.
If your two current LFOs are exactly the same, remember that above in my present text I invited you to add a third LFO. That third LFO could be parametered to reach less amplitude... So it would be also the preferred LFO (among the three LFOs) used by the musician for this routing to the VCO unison.
And yes, that kind of route from a LFO to the Unison exists already on several synths (with beautiful results by the way).

Another suggestion, but for the readability of your GUI: make your grey background darker (much darker, say #3F3F4B for example) in order to improve greatly the contrast with the white letters (which could all be in bold by the way, for a much better pleasure to read them). Remember that there are many musicians who have bad eyes.

Cheers!
Jacques
Last edited by BlackWinny on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Thanks for the suggestions! an LFO and Hipass filter are a piece of cake. The eq however may be a little bit beyond my still developing c++ skills, but I will certainly look into it and see what I can do.

David

UPDATE: I added a high pass filter with resonance. Also added a 3rd LFO which is slower than the other two. So now we have 3 different speed LOFs. I also made the background darker on the GUI. 32 and 64 bit files can be downloaded in the original post. EQ may be in a future update as my c++ skills develop more. Patch this synth up for it's ultimate release.

David

bayouland wrote:UPDATE: I added a high pass filter with resonance. Also added a 3rd LFO which is slower than the other two. So now we have 3 different speed LOFs. I also made the background darker on the GUI. 32 and 64 bit files can be downloaded in the original post. EQ may be in a future update as my c++ skills develop more. Patch this synth up for it's ultimate release.

David
Neat!

We are going to test that little work of passion !
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Thanks BlackWinny! Let me know what you think.

David

AS soon as I get some patches I'll officially release the synth, so I'd appreciate if some of you guys would help me out with this. I'd like to get at least 32 to 64 factory patches for it. Thanking you in advance.

David

In my opinion a much better GUI would be a strong argument also for the success.

Thins synth being made with Synthedit, it is very easy to make a much more beautiful background. Are you ready to try? If you want we can help you to design a beautiful GUI (I also strongly invite you to use the Moog Knobs of Synthedit instead of these basic knobs which are in fact made only for the experiments).

Incidentally, for the knobs it is also possible to make beautiful knobs starting from the same Moog knobs of Synthedit (you can see that these "Moog knobs" are in fact locked containers that you can unlock (by the menu 'Edit") to watch what is in them... and you will see that they rely on wav/png files).

If you want, I (or we) can help you to make that beautiful panel before you release it publicly. Because once it is released, a product becomes immediately to get its reputation, and it is strongly advised to have a beautiful look as soon as the first day because it is very strong to remove a bad first feeling about the sounds... but also about the look.

Cheers
Jacques
Last edited by BlackWinny on Thu May 18, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Jacques,

Yes, I welcome the help. I am using the newest version of Synthedit to skin it and I'm not sure if it is the same method as the old version or not, which I never used. According to what I've seen online, many things are definitely different in this newer version. Any and all help is welcome. Let me know what you need from me. Thanks.

David

bayouland wrote:Hi Jacques,

Yes, I welcome the help. I am using the newest version of Synthedit to skin it and I'm not sure if it is the same method as the old version or not, which I never used. According to what I've seen online, many things are definitely different in this newer version. Any and all help is welcome. Let me know what you need from me. Thanks.

David
We shall see what can be done to make a very appealing GUI to this synth.
:tu:

Incidentally, have you subscribed our Synthedit developer group ? It is very active !

You just subscribe with your common email address and we discuss all together by emails, as on all the Yahoo groups.
It is here:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/syntheditusers/
Not reserved to the Synthedit developers, but it of course has sense only for them (so for you too).

Thanks, and yes, I am already a member of that group.

David

Tweaked GUI

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fixed issue with Glide always being on.

David

bayouland wrote:Fixed issue with Glide always being on.

David
Great!

As you have probably read on the Yahoo group, I'm currently reinstalling my Synthedit 1.2. So as soon as it is done, I'll show you by PMs several suggestions I'm currently designing in my graphic tool "Paint Shop Pro X9" to help you to make a wonderful GUI.
:D

Return to “Instruments”