Are you a musician?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes. I've been playing keyboard/piano since 10 (now I'm 35). I play on a cover band on my city (Pink Floyd), some other more generic.. Have played on a Santana Tribute, a Nine Inch Nails cover... Do a lot of freelance job recording, and play in some other bands (own compositions).

No, I'm a DJ. :hihi:

Could read basic music at around 7. Played my father's accordion, which was about as big as I was, as a first instrument. Mostly Xmas Carols and a few marches (my old man liked martial music, the fascist). Got an organ when I was 9 for Christmas. Got my first guitar around my 14th birthday, almost 43 years ago, now.

So, yes. I am a musician. Mostly guitar now, but can still fake my way around a keyboard well enough.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I used to play guitar, and drums. Am i therefor a musician? I can't even read notes, or have basic knowledge about music theory. Frankly, if you have a good feeling for music, and a good ear, i don't think that even matters much. People used to make music before there was any music theory. Just because they made what sounded good to them. I wished i could play piano better though.

bustedfist wrote:How many here actually play an instrument? If not, what's the connection to music that brings you here? If yes, links? 8)

More seriously:

"Actually play an instrument" is a problematic definition of "musician." Are you leaving out singers here?
Composers? Conductors? Aren't synths instruments? If so, why aren't software synths instruments? Is a multitimbral or modular synth one instrument or several? What if several synths are polychained, is it now one instrument? etc.

Anyway... I noodled on piano and organ as a kid; I played violin (decently for my experience level) in middle/high school and Florida West Coast Youth Symphony, keyboard (somewhat awkwardly) in the (terrible) high school jazz ensemble. Frame drums, doumbek, ashiko and other hand percussion in a casual, hippie sort of way. Fretless bass extremely casually. Taiko drums in a performing group that regularly gets audiences of hundreds, for 18 months (my last gig with them was 5 years ago). (And wow they need to update that website, it doesn't even mention the "new" album from last summer.)

I'm still much prouder of the music I make myself with computer and synths, whether or not you count that as "playing" an "instrument."

I would like to be, but so far I'm more of a noisemaker.

I mostly play the fool.

However I am also a concert/festival drummer and taiko percussionist (and a DJ).

I play guitar & keyboards ... I've done live mixing, and DJing too.

Yapp, i play guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBLuMl_BWY

In here I found stuff and infos for drum samples and great guitar plugins like Igniteamps, AXP, TSE etc...

Weekend musician :) Mostly playing in cover bands.

kinwie wrote:Yapp, i play guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBLuMl_BWY

In here I found stuff and infos for drum samples and great guitar plugins like Igniteamps, AXP, TSE etc...
Nope Im not - yep he is...nice work mate.

I've got a few guitars, a bass, a little MIDI drumkit thing, some microphones, and some twat bought me a ukulele.

Perhaps.

caught a scene from some biblical movie flicking channels long ago. king dude is all worried, so like all worried kings he's hanging out and has his harpist play.

harpist is playing along while the king dude is all mental over some issues. suddenly the harpist breaks the reverie and plays a loud, wrong note. dude is all wtf snapped out of his mind like no can haz cheezburger?.

a musician isn't someone who can play with an instrument. a musician is someone who knows why they are playing. it's not how many styles or notes you can play, it's why you picked the shit up in the first place.

are you honest or devious. are you solving problems or creating them, or are you simply clueless about the whole thing and believe using technology is simply an awesome way of life. this is why i don't listen to your records ;) honest and helpful people tend to stay out of each others way as we are direly needed to move rapidly in the society..

who cares if you are a musician OO YOU DO YOU ARE PART OF ThE SPECIAL CLUB why does kvr want to know so much about you? just keep buying plugins.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

lol
I came close to replying 'none of your business' to the quesiion.

xoxos wrote: who cares if you are a musician OO YOU DO YOU ARE PART OF ThE SPECIAL CLUB why does kvr want to know so much about you? just keep buying plugins.
Exactly correct.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aloysius wrote:I play banjo. Does that count?
No! And nor does the accordion! ;-)

(Any daring soul want to mention bagpipes?)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”