Lindell 254E (or now 354)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lindell Audio 254E Lindell Audio 354E

Can the 354 completely replace the 254? Does it make the 254 redundant?

I don't have either, so I was wondering if the 354 can just be used as a full-band compressor in a case where the 254 would have normally been used.

No it's a multiband. The 254E is a single band and has a basic limiter.

Multibands over complicate simple tasks, they also give you more ways in which to ruin a sound if you're not careful.

So there is still definitely reason enough to use the 254E.

Yeah, I'm not sold on it yet (on drums) but I've just used EZD2 as a reference. The cutoff is funky and unlike the 254 I'm not hip on the presets.

It's possible that for electronic drums it's more hip. Will also try some guitar buses later, but I think an eq (like the lindell 100) and the 254 is a better combo so far. We'll see.

Nothing alarming with CPU that I can see.

jackson881 wrote:Can the 354 completely replace the 254? Does it make the 254 redundant?

I don't have either, so I was wondering if the 354 can just be used as a full-band compressor in a case where the 254 would have normally been used.
If you use it in "link" mode, where controls for all bands are linked, it's essentially single band. I think it definitely replaces the 254 (I have both), considering the nuke and niveau options. Lots of mojo IMO.

PA is killing–bx_opto, acme, lindell eq, hg-2, vsm-3 (just rediscovered)...

jimmydeer wrote:
jackson881 wrote:Can the 354 completely replace the 254? Does it make the 254 redundant?

If you use it in "link" mode, where controls for all bands are linked, it's essentially single band. I think it definitely replaces the 254 (I have both), considering the nuke and niveau options. Lots of mojo IMO.

PA is killing–bx_opto, acme, lindell eq, hg-2, vsm-3 (just rediscovered)...
The controls will be the same but each band has its on envelop follower and so will not behave like a single band compressor, for better or for worse.

It doesn't replace the 254E but supplements it, especially for buss work or complex sound sources like bass or vocals.

Leave it to me to find a use :lol:

7 string guitar. You can fix the mud and tame the chug at the same time.

Keeping the individual ratios the same across all bands on multiband comps is generally good practice - don't ask me why though :)

MogwaiBoy wrote:Keeping the individual ratios the same across all bands on multiband comps is generally good practice - don't ask me why though :)
Not really buying this, anyone else have some input?

Tried recording some bass sessions today and I'm not really into it for bass. Going to play with ED a bit later but I'm starting to get the impression that I'll be shelling 79 just for a fabulous guitar patch I made :cry:

incubus wrote:Tried recording some bass sessions today and I'm not really into it for bass. Going to play with ED a bit later but I'm starting to get the impression that I'll be shelling 79 just for a fabulous guitar patch I made :cry:
I ran a MODO Bass track through the 354 whilst demoing and I was quite pleased with the result.
Ran MODO into the Softube Bass Amp for a bit of warmth, then into 354 to tighten it up.

I'm liking it for certain drum busses as well, but I also just got the Waves DBX and the BRA Blueface, so it really depends on what result I'm looking for. 354 in Nuke mode with the mix dialled back to about 45-55% is working for me on my XLN drums.

Haha!! I have Modo & AD2 as well!! I might give the 354 a bit of a run on that.

simon.a.billington wrote:Haha!! I have Modo & AD2 as well!! I might give the 354 a bit of a run on that.
I'd be interested to hear what you think after trying it out.
I like the way I'm getting an almost live rhythm section vibe with MODO and AD2 along with the 354.

I'm sorry, I'll have to goggle a "MODO" ... I was speaking of a 5 string electric bass :oops:

incubus wrote:I'm sorry, I'll have to goggle a "MODO" ... I was speaking of a 5 string electric bass :oops:
Well I do have a 5-String Bass, but it's a Fender Jazz.

I got Modo Bass for quickly sketching out ideas and to open a few options tonally. Plus I got it for an awesome price!!

MODO bass is IK's bass guitar modelling plugin, and it's actually quite good!

Return to “Effects”